• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sub $400 Suits - OTR vs. Online MTM?

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Would you rather buy an OTR suit from say Macys (Alfani, CK, Tommy, etc.) for $250-$300 + another $50-$100 in tailoring or get something online (moderntailor, indochino, suitsupply, etc.) for $300-$350 + minimal tailoring afterwards?

Pretty new to SF and to this whole dressing up business. I'll listen to all recommendations. Thanks.

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score
If you aren't, for lack of a better term, oddly shaped and require MTM, finding RTW that fits well will almost certainly give a higher quality level at the same price point. Suitsupply or BB during a sale is likely your best bet for new, though ebay, thrifting, and B&S is tough to beat for pure value assuming you know what works. Given that you are new to this, I'd strongly suggest trying some stuff on, taking pictures, and posting in the suit critique thread for advice before dropping some decent coin.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be a large proponent of neither. Ebay is your friend. Either of the two sources you mentioned may give you a good fit, but the quality will certainly not be what you could have had for your money. You could get a very decent quality suit for $400 online plus tailoring, depending on how savvy you are. Just be sure to get your measurements straight before attempting, or only bid on suits with return policies. Some of the best deals (in my opinion) are on gently used pre-owned items. They sell for real cheap and you can just take em to the try cleaners when they arrive. I saw a very nice Zegna suit the other day go for $350 new. There are without question deals to be had. Some brands to look out for would be: Paul Stuart, Ermenegildo Zegna, Samuelsohn, Hickey Freeman, Canali and Oxxford are most likely to be found at <$400.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Thank you both. I should've also mentioned I'm on the smaller side of sizes, I believe 36S....although not impossible to find is a bit more rare than say 38-42 in stores.

Any tips on becoming ebay savvy? Aside from searching suit size on a daily basis? Thanks again.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you both.  I should've also mentioned I'm on the smaller side of sizes, I believe 36S....although not impossible to find is a bit more rare than say 38-42 in stores.

Any tips on becoming ebay savvy?  Aside from searching suit size on a daily basis?  Thanks again.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I am a 42/44XL depending on how the suit is cut, not exactly a common size (although sometimes I can get away with a 42/44L if it is cut longer). If you keep an eye out, they pop up.

My tips are to get your measurements down pat, and by this i mean: chest, shoulders, sleeves, and length (collar to hem). You can try OTR suits on in store to get a feel for what you like. I would recommend buying inexpensive first as you will likely mess up a few times (I went through 2-3 failures before I got clever). Brands you might look at: Hickey Freeman, Samuelsohn, Brooks Brothers (1818 or golden fleece), Oxxford, Zegna, Canali, Paul Stuart, and Isaia. You can try Brioni and Kiton as well, but they tend to run pricier. Hope this is helpful!

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you have enough time to shop around Macy's for suit and actually found one that fits for that price range then you're lucky.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you rather buy an OTR suit from say Macys (Alfani, CK, Tommy, etc.) for $250-$300 + another $50-$100 in tailoring or get something online (moderntailor, indochino, suitsupply, etc.) for $300-$350 + minimal tailoring afterwards?

Pretty new to SF and to this whole dressing up business. I'll listen to all recommendations. Thanks.

Those Macy's suits you mention are overpriced garbage. You would be better off spending that $300 elsewhere. In this $300-500 category, everyone seems to always recommend Brooks Brothers and Suit Supply. I would start there. I know Brooks Brothers entry level suiting line (suiting essentials) will be around $420 on Wednesday, May 23rd and can be had for as little as $350 during certain sales.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What's your suit situation like right now:
  • Do you already have a suit?
  • How often do you plan on wearing it?
  • What are you wearing the suit for?
  • What's your budget? (It sounds like $500 with tailoring)

How well do you know what a properly fitted suit should feel like and look like? You may think you're around a 36S but you might be smaller than that. Most salesmen will tell you that you look good in whatever coat you put on. If they immediately say, "That looks good," and nothing more, I wouldn't listen to them.

You could just go the department store route for now so that you have something to wear while you become more educated and informed. Or you can do all your research on the front-end if you have the inclination and the patience so that what you end up buying is exactly what you want in terms of price, fit, quality, and according to your level of pickiness etc. You never know, a Macy's suit may be all that you need.

Most people will tell you you can get something better on eBay or B&S for the price you're willing to pay. I've been monitoring the B&S forum very closely now for a few weeks and I can tell you that I rarely see 36S suits. And if you're smaller than that, forget about it. Most of the stuff on eBay, new or used, in that size isn't of the slimmer, more modern cut either, so if that's what you're looking for, forget about that option too.

If it's your first suit and/or you don't really know how a suit should fit, and you don't know how to describe how to fix it if it doesn't, don't go the Indochino route. I've read numerous threads on here that suggest for a first time buyer to go the retail, in-store route + tailoring. Get informed on how a suit should fit, how it should look and how it should feel. That way, if you ever do go the online route you can get an idea if something is too big or not.

I found this thread to be quite useful: http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions
As well as this post on Put This On: http://putthison.com/post/19955659382/how-a-suit-jacket-or-sport-coat-should-fit-a

charliebrown2

Reaction score
What's your suit situation like right now:
  • Do you already have a suit?
  • How often do you plan on wearing it?
  • What are you wearing the suit for?
  • What's your budget? (It sounds like $500 with tailoring)

How well do you know what a properly fitted suit should feel like and look like? You may think you're around a 36S but you might be smaller than that. Most salesmen will tell you that you look good in whatever coat you put on. If they immediately say, "That looks good," and nothing more, I wouldn't listen to them.

You could just go the department store route for now so that you have something to wear while you become more educated and informed. Or you can do all your research on the front-end if you have the inclination and the patience so that what you end up buying is exactly what you want in terms of price, fit, quality, and according to your level of pickiness etc. You never know, a Macy's suit may be all that you need.

Most people will tell you you can get something better on eBay or B&S for the price you're willing to pay. I've been monitoring the B&S forum very closely now for a few weeks and I can tell you that I rarely see 36S suits. And if you're smaller than that, forget about it. Most of the stuff on eBay, new or used, in that size isn't of the slimmer, more modern cut either, so if that's what you're looking for, forget about that option too.

If it's your first suit and/or you don't really know how a suit should fit, and you don't know how to describe how to fix it if it doesn't, don't go the Indochino route. I've read numerous threads on here that suggest for a first time buyer to go the retail, in-store route + tailoring. Get informed on how a suit should fit, how it should look and how it should feel. That way, if you ever do go the online route you can get an idea if something is too big or not.

I found this thread to be quite useful: http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions
As well as this post on Put This On: http://putthison.com/post/19955659382/how-a-suit-jacket-or-sport-coat-should-fit-a

Thanks...those links are very helpful. I just came back from trying on various suits over various brands and I'm pretty sure my base OTR size is 36S. The shoulder seems to sit well at 36S, but there's still a bit of fabric that would need to removed/shorten (sleeve, waist, maybe length).

Looking at Brooks Bro (Suit Essential line) and Suitsupply, they seem to start at 38S. BB has some 36S only in their 1818 collection (above my budget) and Summer suit line (seems to be mostly wool/poly blend).

Unless I settle for what Macys has to offer, I think due to my size (sub-36S), I'm either going to have to get lucky on ebay or go online MTM. Thanks everyone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads