• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum in Paris: Streetstyle Pics

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought that I'd move this temporarily to CM so that you guys hopefully get a look at the pictures that our photographer, @oisin , snapped of passing Parisians.

Since this really is, to a large degree, quick snapshots of passerbys who caught our eyes, there are quite a number of classic menswear looks in here along with more streetwear stuff.

I'm using our Paris threads to get a better handle on different mechanics of the forum, so please bear with me as it moves around between the two main forums (CM and SWD).

Cheers,

Fok.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Overall, I'd say the difference is that Parisians -- men and women -- are obsessed with fit. Even if you shop at H&M you'll go to the retoucher shop to get your jeans slimmed or hemmed. I personally can't wear my clothes as tight as most Parisian men, but at least at work I definitely wear what an American would consider to be perhaps a little too much clothing on the slim side.

I would agree with this but I also see a similar attention to fit in Milan for both men and women.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall, I'd say the difference is that Parisians -- men and women -- are obsessed with fit. Even if you shop at H&M you'll go to the retoucher shop to get your jeans slimmed or hemmed. I personally can't wear my clothes as tight as most Parisian men, but at least at work I definitely wear what an American would consider to be perhaps a little too much clothing on the slim side.
Even though the clothing is pretty fitted, I think that the style of Parisians is very different from the much more sexed up "bella figura" style that you see throughout Italy.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That woman in the leather abd shearling jacket. Damn! She gives Bane a run for his money

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even though the clothing is pretty fitted, I think that the style of Parisians is very different from the much more sexed up "bella figura" style that you see throughout Italy.

That's true -- France is a deeply conservative country in a lot of ways, at least in public.

Lacker

Reaction score
Thanks for those pictures, it's really pleasant to see Paris through your streetstyle shoots !
As a Parisian, i tend to not pay enough attention to the diversity around me, i guess your pictures convinced me to be attentive again !

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I'm in.

Great thread.

I will be there in 2 weeks - and this thread has made that time even slower!

NewStart

Reaction score

Magneto?

Grebo

Reaction score
I am born and raised in Paris and living there for the past 48 years and I can certify that most of the people shoot in these photos are not/French or Parisiens.
Paris is definitely not a city where "common people" are elegant or are really into fashion.
Most youth are buying their cloths from H&M or Zara...
If you take pictures of people in Marais or in front of Collette, you will have a very large percentage ofnot French.
All the pictures taken with Asians in it are definitely not French related... Go into Chinese quarter if you want to see real "French Asian"...
These pictures of French fashions are as much bogus and cliché than beret and baguette...

NycLondon

Reaction score
I am born and raised in Paris and living there for the past 48 years and I can certify that most of the people shoot in these photos are not/French or Parisiens.
Paris is definitely not a city where "common people" are elegant or are really into fashion.

These pictures of French fashions are as much bogus and cliché than beret and baguette...
To be fair the author fulfills his stated brief: photographs of people on Paris streets.
I saw some baguettes in Paris last November too.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you take pictures of people in Marais or in front of Collette, you will have a very large percentage ofnot French.
All the pictures taken with Asians in it are definitely not French related... Go into Chinese quarter if you want to see real "French Asian"...

FWIW some people look really good in H+M and Zara

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's street style during a fashion week. Not really not sure what you expected. We also saw a lot of unremarkable looking people.

bebop d

Alpha-M
Reaction score
It's street style during a fashion week. Not really not sure what you expected. We also saw a lot of unremarkable looking people.

Definitely feel like you should have included these unremarkable people in equal proportion to the numbers of them you saw on the street vs the people who "are elegant or are really into fashion".

I've always relied on SF images to give me a comprehensive cross section of the world outside my computer room. If these allegations by the Frenchman above are true and SF is in fact not representative of the man on the street then I'm beginning to think I've overbought spectator shoes, fair isle knits, shawl collar bathrobe coats, knee-length popover shirts, and pants with large cuffs that show all of my ankles. On the plus side these revelations mean that I get to buy and try out socks for the first time.

Je suis déçu d'apprendre ces nouvelles...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads