Styleforum in Paris: Streetstyle Pics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oisin, Jan 26, 2016.

1. oisin

oisin Senior member

Is this for me? First, I don't agree that street photography needs a kit for portraiture. A small, inconspicuous camera like the Fuji X100 I was using is much better than a big canon full frame body and 24-70 2.8 or 85 1.2. Second, I do have a kit that works well for portraiture -- check out my photographs of De Bonne Facture, Stephan Schneider, and SNS Herning here http://www.styleforum.net/t/517045/...in-paris-image-dump-thread-of-ill-repute/0_50.

I really don't like the prevailing wisdom that good photography requires expensive gear. Gear is the means to an end, and you need to know what end you have in sight and then have gear appropriate for that vision. Could I have gotten the shots in the showrooms I did without wheeling through Paris $10k worth of gear including two studio strobes and a good body and lens? Maybe not. Would I have preferred to have even more lights and mods with me? Almost certainly. But I maybe could have gotten close with a couple inexpensive flashes and a lesser camera and lens that would have cost $1k-$2k. Photography is a combination of vision and technique to execute that vision. Street photography is more about getting close to people and having the timing and skill to capture a real moment with strong composition. You could do great street photography with a point and shoot. I like my X100 because it offers more control and a great viewfinder with a good sensor in a small package. Be a good photographer first, then get the gear that matches what you want.

Anyway, rant off. I'm not impressed with many of my street pics because street photography isn't something that really inspires me. It is fun to do and show you guys real people in Paris, but I'm probably not going to be spending the time to get really good at this particular style of photography. Lifestyle, portraits, and fashion are the things that interest me most and that's where I spend my time trying to hone my craft.

2. oisin

oisin Senior member

3. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Well-Known Member

Noone's talking about a 10grand kit. Also I've seen the other thread. No need to get defensive.

4. oisin

oisin Senior member

5. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

-Looks like first, maybe second grade children, if not, those are some pretty big kindergarteners. They must be eatin good.

-I love the coats on these two men.

Good stuff! +Subbed+ [​IMG]

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Greatly appreciate the "real people actually out doing stuff" aspect of these street style pics

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I like this guy

[​IMG]

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That said, I find these photographs to be a lot more interesting than most "street photography": out there. This is what Scott Schuman did starting out, and what made street photography popular, and that I think we've fallen away from, much to our own loss.

The problem with "fashion people" who are often photographed is that it's much too easy to fall into the trap of looking all uniquely the same. You shop in the same stores, you replenish your clothing regularly, you work the fashion circuit, and it would take an extraordinary sense of self to not be influenced by globalized fashion. That, or you react so strongly to or against that you become a cariacture. On the other hand, random people on the street who look cool probably took their time to purchase their clothing and want to look good, but they are not surrounded by "fashion, fashion, fashion" constantly. And their dress has to fit their lifestyles, which does not generally involved being around a bunch of fashion people all day. So you have someone who might find a uniform and wear it for 5 years (a lifetime in fashion). Or someone who buys several pieces every year and incorporates them into his wardrobe, thus evolving their own style, but at a much slower pace then fashion is changing.

tl;dr, I like it.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

From my perspective, there are only about 4 photos where I might guess with much certainty that the people are Parisian. IMO, the rest have a more global, urban fashion look. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that these people were from NYC, Milan, London. I think that is a reflection on the globalization of fashion retail and the availability of style influence on a global basis online.

On another topic, the photo of the school teacher and the children reminded me of living in Paris one December. There was a school for young girls near by and when they would be out walking with their teacher, every single one of them had a different scarf, all tied differently and with such remarkable style! There is something about a well tied scarf that must be in the DNA of the French!

10. LA Guy

I'm interested in knowing which are the ones you think of as certainly Parisian.

11. GusW

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. GusW

These people look like they could be from any of several cities in the US. I'm not saying this to be critical, just an observation of global styles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LA Guy

I think that this guy (below) also looks very Parisian:

[​IMG]

it's the pants, the cut of the coat, the "sensible but not orthopedic shoes" and of couse, the scarf.

Shoes that look like Paraboot seem to be very popular with older Parisian men. The younger guys seem to favor dark, slim to tight jeans, and a puffer jacket, and then also a scarf, albeit a bigger one wrapped around their neck more times.

14. GusW

I would agree that the mature Frenchman, walking around the city seem to wear classic derby Paraboot and Herschung type shoes. Funny, I'm wearing my suede, rubber soled, Paraboot wingtips today. I better go buy a baguette and some brie.

15. LA Guy

And it it on the street. It seems that the only acceptable food to eat on the street in Paris are:

1) Baguettes (at one store, where they were oven fresh, we were told to eat it right away).
    2) Crepes
    3) Gyros
    4) Falafel
    5) Coffee (this is unlike Italy. In Italy, if you asked for a to go coffee, you'd probably get hot coffee in the face.)

ftw, I looooove me some good falafel, and @oisin is some sort of falafel sniffing demigod.