• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum Gives 2015 - Our annual holiday charity auctions for the Ronald McDonald House.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello?!? Anyone home?

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, it's been Amazoned. Hope that whoever gets it is old school enough to have a dvd player. Honestly, at this point, part of the awesomeness of movies like that is the cover art, like old vinyl. Streaming just doesn't feel the same.

What's a "physical media?"

Last edited:

bebop d

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Can someone here tell me where to find the auction thread with the bigtimers shaming each other with huge bids all in the name of charity?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone here tell me where to find the auction thread with the bigtimers shaming each other with huge bids all in the name of charity?
I think that someone must want to do the $1600 and get that tie that @gdl203 offered. Let's hear it gentlemen.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pardon the interruption, but just a quick announcement that LuxeSwap will be donating 10% of the hammer price for all auctions that end on December 20th (they go live on December 10th) to RMHC in the name of StyleForum. @GothamRed and I will be kicking in some teaser pics and other good stuff in this thread over the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that someone must want to do the $1600 and get that tie that @gdl203
 offered.  Let's hear it gentlemen.

I'll say $1,600!

Come on folks! It seems a bit unsightly to be bidding against myself.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say $1,600!

Let's take @Michigan Planner 's example, gentlemen. If we hit $1750, I'll personally throw in a pocket square so that you can look extra #pitti. You know you sorta want to do it.

(and now you'll have an excuse).

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say $1,600!

Well, looks like @Michigan Planner takes this that with a bid of $1600. Winnar! Really generous and that brings ou total to $1825 + $1600 = $3425. I'm proud of us. but let's get some more people involved. Get your friends stoked. Another longer auction to take us into Sunday next.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Auction 5: A Suitable Wardrobe Russian Reindeer Passport Holder or Pocket wallet
Ends Sunday, Dec 6, 2015.5 p.m. PST​

Let's start the bidding... now. The following auction will be a 48 hour auction and will end Sunday at 5 pm PST.

As some of you may know, A Suitable Wardrobe was recently acquired by @kirbya , of The Hanger Project, probably the original business born on the forum. Kirby tells me that he is committed to the same extremely high quality accessories for which A Suitable Wardrobe has always been known. It's probably one of the few places I knew of that stocked an Astrakan. Not sure what I'd do with it, but it was cool.

This auction is for one Russian Reindeer Passport Holder OR Pocket Wallet, winner's choice (https://www.asuitablewardrobe.com/russian-reindeer-passport-cover.html or https://www.asuitablewardrobe.com/russian-reindeer-pocket-wallet.html)

What is "Russian reindeer"? So glad you asked.

From A Suitable Wardrobe:

Due to its rarity and uniqueness, G. J. Cleverly 1786 Russian Reindeer leather is normally only available through our bespoke service... except what you see here on A Suitable Wardrobe. On December 10th 1786 a storm forced the Metta Catharina to seek shelter in Plymouth Sound. She had been bound for the Mediterranean with a cargo of hemp and leather from the Russian Port of St. Petersburg. The Catherina broke free and was blown towards Mount Edgecumbe before sinking. The crew were able to get ashore but the ship and its cargo were lost - until almost 200 years later divers found a ship’s bell on the sea floor. Further investigation revealed bundles of hides littering the sea bed. They were remarkably well preserved after two centuries of immersion in black mud.

Since those hides were retrieved, many hundreds have been brought to the surface. They have been tanned the traditional Russian way, which involves soaking in pits of willow bark and currying with birch oil. The process gives them a very distinct aroma. Most of the hides have been cross hatched in the grain embossed by hand. The famous ‘Russia’ leather is renowned for it’s ability to resist water and repel insects.

What we have here, then, are items of extreme rarity and historical value. Ain't no small timer carryng their passport through security in leather from the Metta Catharine.

Retail: $720

Let's start the bidding at $350. The minimum increment on a bid will be $20. Please announce bids on this thread. If you wish to be anonymous, you may PM me, and I will proxy the bid for you.

Important note: The bidding will not end if there has been a bid in the last 10 minutes, regardless of time. So, for example, if there is a bid at 2:59 Monday morning, the bidding will go on until 3:09, and if there is a bid before or at that time, the bidding will continue. Essentially, sniping is not going to be effective. It's for charity, y'all.

Here are some pictures to make you all weep and bid generously and often:

Wallet Passport holder.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll start off the bidding at $350.

My only question would be whether it would more baller to impress some TSA drone or to be able to whip out this ridiculously unnecessary and yet cool wallet and pull out three $1 bills to pay for my morning Americano. Suggestions welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads