• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stephen Strasburg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at this pitch move in two different directions:
youngcurve_medium.gif

bcate3

Reaction score
When I heard that he pitched 7 innings, I thought that was a bad sign. The Nats are going to run him into the ground. I was later told that he had a pitch count of 100 and only threw 94 pitches. 14Ks in 94 pitches. That's incredible. Let's hope that the Nats continue to put him on a hard pitch count and monitor his workload closely. He's still young and developing, and too much use could lead to career altering/ending injuries. I would hate to see the kid's career take a turn like Kerry Woods'.

Originally Posted by Douglas
The problem is, IMO, that he runs the team like a lawyer, and not like a businessman.

I was with you until this. What did you think of Ed Williams? The O's won their last WS during his time. On the flip side, what do you think of Dan Snyder? Bad owners come from all walks of life.

I haven't followed the O's closely in years, but I thought Angelos's hiring of GM Andy McPhail was a good sign that he was going to stop interfering with personnel and let a well regarded professional run the team. Some baseball writers even projected the team to be a reasonably competitive team this year given the presence of Adam Jones and Markasis. Doesn't seem they should be this bad.

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
yeah. there is not a lot of people who can throw that hard deep into a game. verlander is the only other one i can think of. his last start he topped 99 in the 9th.

Ubaldo last night was probably sitting there saying "I;m young, I throw that hard and have a nasty curveball, have 11 wins, and Bob Costas doesn't announce my games. Why?" Because you are not a white kid.

Avg. Fastball (mph): Starters
Ubaldo Jimenez\t96.6
Justin Verlander\t95.8
Felipe Paulino\t 95.5
Josh Johnson\t 94.5
Felix Hernandez\t94.1

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
I was with you until this. What did you think of Ed Williams? The O's won their last WS during his time. On the flip side, what do you think of Dan Snyder? Bad owners come from all walks of life.

I can't speak too intelligently about EBW or DS, as I don't know a lot about them, but my point wasn't that lawyers are bad owners and businesspeople are good ones. My point is specific to Peter Angelos, who hasn't run the team with an eye towards achieving long-term successes (and letting smaller things slide when necessary), but rather built around winning near-term battles, often in a way that can be nasty or alienating in the long term. I don't think it's a stretch to think that his background as a very successful class-action litigator might have something to do with that style.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Mike Leake of the Reds as well.

Not as hyped as Strasburg, but he's 5-0 so far this season and the first rookie pitcher to skip the minor leagues in 21-years.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you in the slightest on either Trembley or Miller. I think Trembley could have been successful somewhere, under the right circumstances, maybe, but my point isn't so much that they were fired. Of course they were fired - and everyone knew they would be fired from the day they took the job. Everyone knew they would fail. So you have to ask yourself why were they put there in the first place, or why was the environment around them so dismal that failure was inevitable?

As for the "Baltimore," I was not that guy. Like any site with public comments allowed, of course there is a lot of idiocy. But the jersey thing is a pretty nice microcosm of how/why Angelos runs the club the way he does.

The results of that speak for themselves.

Well, it looks like they're looking at Valentine and Wedge. I hope they go with Bobby V. Also, I just read they're closing down the ESPN Zone down in the Inner Harbor. Where will the O's hold Q & A sessions with Mark Hendrickson now??!!

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't buy the hype because almost every year the next big thing is on his way and it doesn't pan out.

I'm buying it now. His pitches were filthy and with 4 above average pitches and high velocity, he looks like a stud. What I was most impressed with was his command...zero walks. Wow.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Damn, they're closing the Zone? It was the very first one! If I recall, they did a full season of MNF halftime shows from there. I went one time to see what it was like; it was nauseating, I left, I did not return. I don't know any local in their right mind who would go there, but it often appears relatively busy as I drive by on my way to Little Italy.

I would love to see Bobby V, but I am not optimistic. Also, he may be washed up by now. But it would be fun to watch, at least.

We should do an SF baseball night in Baltimore. Good shoes, bad baseball, cheap tix, heavy drinking.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, they're closing the Zone? It was the very first one! If I recall, they did a full season of MNF halftime shows from there. I went one time to see what it was like; it was nauseating, I left, I did not return. I don't know any local in their right mind who would go there, but it often appears relatively busy as I drive by on my way to Little Italy.

I would love to see Bobby V, but I am not optimistic. Also, he may be washed up by now. But it would be fun to watch, at least.

We should do an SF baseball night in Baltimore. Good shoes, bad baseball, cheap tix, heavy drinking.

I will make it out for this!!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He was incredible - better than that hype. The movement on all of his pitches was astounding. His command is outstanding. Put it this way - he has as good a fastball as any seen in major league history, a slurve that's almost as good, an above average changeup, and he throws all of them for strikes at any point in the count. He's a top five pitcher today - he might be the second best pitcher in baseball after Halladay. That's not to say he won't get hurt or lose velocity or any of the things that happen to pitchers, but he been showing these exact skills all year in the minors so it's not like he got lucky. Just an example of how extraordinary it was, 94 pitches to reach 14 K's was the fewest pitches recorded in such a game ever.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat less hyped, Jake Arrieta will be making his debut this Thursday!

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
He was incredible - better than that hype. The movement on all of his pitches was astounding. His command is outstanding. Put it this way - he has as good a fastball as any seen in major league history, a slurve that's almost as good, an above average changeup, and he throws all of them for strikes at any point in the count. He's a top five pitcher today - he might be the second best pitcher in baseball after Halladay. That's not to say he won't get hurt or lose velocity or any of the things that happen to pitchers, but he been showing these exact skills all year in the minors so it's not like he got lucky.

Just an example of how extraordinary it was, 94 pitches to reach 14 K's was the fewest pitches recorded in such a game ever.

He was impressive and looked great. I've got to admit that I am now looking forward to watching him pitch and think he's got the stuff and makeup to be Cy Young contender for years to come.

But he has only pitched one game and can't be compared to the likes of Halladay, Lincecum, Jimenez, Lee, Greinke, Oswalt, Carpenter, Wainwright, etc. yet. Give him some time and if he continues to put together a solid season(s) then his name can be added to those that have already established themselves.

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
He was incredible - better than that hype. The movement on all of his pitches was astounding. His command is outstanding. Put it this way - he has as good a fastball as any seen in major league history, a slurve that's almost as good, an above average changeup, and he throws all of them for strikes at any point in the count. He's a top five pitcher today - he might be the second best pitcher in baseball after Halladay. That's not to say he won't get hurt or lose velocity or any of the things that happen to pitchers, but he been showing these exact skills all year in the minors so it's not like he got lucky.

Just an example of how extraordinary it was, 94 pitches to reach 14 K's was the fewest pitches recorded in such a game ever.

in the words of winston wolf, let's not start sucking each others dicks just yet

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...e-100-mph-man/

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I read that fangraphs post earlier. Yes, Ubaldo has similar velocity. That's not really the point. The movement on his fastball is singular. Add in the quality of his breaking pitches and his command, and he's really as good as anyone right now. The only question mark is health. He's been showing this exact stuff for two years. He might regress, but pitchers are like that. Lincecum has hit a bad stretch recently, so has Greinke - would it be shocking if they never really came all the way back? Not really - happens all the time with pitchers.

edit - I should add that Ubaldo has been the best pitcher in baseball this year, so being compared to him (on his best night perhaps) doesn't diminish Strasburg, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads