• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Step Up Your Shoe Game, Son

Putonghua73

Reaction score
I'm slowly building up a Carmina shoe wardrobe, while using Meermins and Magnannis to fill in the gaps while it's being built. Can't afford Lobbs, EG's, C&J handgrades, or anything above €350 a pair, I'm afraid...

I've gone from a pair of cognac square toe, medallion monstrosities (£75.00), and a pair of black non-descript work shoes (don't ask), to a pair of £100 burgundy Aldos (stop sniggering) before I googled SF because my shoes were in a parlous state and I needed to up both my game and my knowledge with immediate effect.

After reading a number of threads, I bought a pair of Loake 1880s Aldwych last (£195 from Jermyn Street), and then 2 pairs of Meermin classic line (whole-cuts, sorry Manton, I love whole-cuts, and single monks - both in black because I really dislike all of the styles of Meermin's range in dark brown). Absolutely no complaints with my Meermin purchase - both pairs of shoes are incredible value for the money, comfortable and polish well using a basic cloth and leather cream (I dislike the mirrored polish look). Alas, I can't say the same for the Loakes. Whilst they are well-constructed, conservative and are feeling more comfortable, the sole is still very, very hard. My feet still feel sore if I walk around Regent's Park after work - unlike if I wore my Meermins.

My next shoes will be Carmina from the Armoury (I love the dark brown Oxford cap-toe and the tan wholecuts), or dark brown Oxford cap-toes from C&J (bench-grade).

Like yourself, RDiaz, my budget kicks in, as well as the law of diminishing returns. There are other more essential functional pieces of clothing to buy - such as seriously considering to go MTO on non-work trousers. Just cannot find anything that I like RTW.

Last edited:

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
I'm a student and I've so far got a pair of Herring Double Monks, Alfred Sargent country longwings and wingtips (They discontinued their lower ranges to move up to their exclusive offerings and I got some incredible deals) and have a pair of Meermin's currently waiting to be shipped along with various other cheap brands in some classic style such as chukkas and wingtips. My shoes are often the most expensive item I wear as I feel that as an investment at this stage in my life shoes are the best option in terms of longevity and in their perceived quality by others. Basically the difference between cheap and mid range shoes is significantly more obvious than that of cheap and mid range shirts.

I can't wait to get my hands on some GG and EG shoes later in life though.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a student and I've so far got a pair of Herring Double Monks, Alfred Sargent country longwings and wingtips (They discontinued their lower ranges to move up to their exclusive offerings and I got some incredible deals) and have a pair of Meermin's currently waiting to be shipped along with various other cheap brands in some classic style such as chukkas and wingtips. My shoes are often the most expensive item I wear as I feel that as an investment at this stage in my life shoes are the best option in terms of longevity and in their perceived quality by others. Basically the difference between cheap and mid range shoes is significantly more obvious than that of cheap and mid range shirts.

I can't wait to get my hands on some GG and EG shoes later in life though.

Agree with you. I'm still in my residency (graduated medical school recently) so I've got a ton of loans to pay back and am on somewhat of a tight budget. Shoes are the one area I tend to treat myself, and at this juncture feel that they're my best investment. Especially since I've been a pretty diligent bodybuilder/weightlifter for quite a few years, with some weight fluctuations (and probably will have less time to lift regularly in the coming years). So splurging on expensive clothing now might come back and bite me later.

Additionally, lower priced but well-fitting clothing can often look a lot better than ill-fitting expensive stuff. Not that there's no room for compromise there (well-fitting expensive clothing), but I've found that high quality footwear (well, for me AE is high quality) coupled with inexpensive but well-fitting clothing is the best and most feasible combo for me at the moment.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Oh cool I'm a med student too, UK though. Perhaps I'm financially deluding myself that I'll ever have the money for GG. You're right with the fit vs price thing, at least shoe sizes remain pretty constant

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

I could swear I still see those, maybe not red tho. I know the C line still uses some old trains.
Yeah son! The we'll go under the Brooklyn bridge and let loose.

The C trains are the oldest in the city, but honestly they look more or less like the others, just a bit grimier. The red ones are totally gone; it was a pretty big deal for a lot of die hard NYers who hate change. I think almost unwaveringly, people born and raised in NY dislike the automated trains.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The C trains are the oldest in the city, but honestly they look more or less like the others, just a bit grimier. The red ones are totally gone; it was a pretty big deal for a lot of die hard NYers who hate change. I think almost unwaveringly, people born and raised in NY dislike the automated trains.

Total derail (see what I did there), but I miss these :

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the thread starter.I believe the shoes(also tie) can make or break your outfit.That is the reason why I spend the most money on those things.With a blazers,pants, and shirts its all about fit.Now I don't buy junk but at the same time I don't have a shitload of $1000+ suits.

I think driver shoes are ugly in general,to me at least.I usually wear loafers or oxfords with my dress pants.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are red cars and even older subway cars, buses, and trolleys on display at the transit museum in Brooklyn heights.

Nore, remember the scene in new jack city when niño brown and g-money are playing ball with no shirts, dress slacks, and shoes? I dont own anything that comfortable . . .

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read that there is a Hip-Hop museum with 4 subway cars dedicated for graf writers and contests held. I just they would let us do a 10-car train and the send it thru in full service for a week or so.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really think it's simply that they don't know any better.  

This, plus the fact that a very large majority just doesn't care. They don't care what they wear and don't care about clothes enough to put much effort into finding better ones. Same reason why my officemates salivate at the latest 3-for-1 JAB suit sale. And, if you live in a city with mid or lower tier department stores, you get all the low end shoe models. Too each his own. This really shouldn't be too shocking at this point.

Last edited:

Xenon

Reaction score

i dont buy this "comfort" bullshit. last week after meeting up with a fellow SFer, i was on my way home and ran out of gas on the interstate...long story short, i was in a coat and tie, and dress shoes, and had to run...seriously, run, not walk briskly, but RUN a good 12 blocks. guess what...my shoes felt fine. if your shoes are uncomfortable on your feet its not because you walk a lot, its because youre buying the wrong shoes. size, width, last, etc.

Let's clear a few misconceptions, that about sole/inner sole leather, petroleum derivatives and fiberboards.

A dress shoe using nothing but a "quality" vegetable tanned inner and outer sole, if properly fitted can be extremely comfortable for very long periods of standing wear and normal walking distances (let's say under 10 km). However they will not be as comfortable for jogging/ running long distances as a shoe using very low density synthetics such as urethane foam, rubber foam etc. Low density or cushiony foam/ gel has a better ability to absorb shock than any leather. This is not about distributing constant load but rather absorbing sudden load. This means that if you will be walking around Paris, Vienna or some other beautiful city for 12 km at a fast pace, a jogging shoe will be more comfortable than a bespoke dress shoe. Yes I know obvious but still! Yet I agree that jogging, training, athletic footwear is uglier than homemade sin.

That said, typical rubber soled dress shoes, driving shoes, or any shoes that use fiberboard inner soles are simply the least comfortable most inappropriate footwear you can buy for any purpose. Typical rubber (high density) has a lower ability to absorb shock than any quality leather sole/inner sole let alone some wonderful Baker. Rubber simply sucks at everything except getting wet. In contrast the leather will shape itself to your foot over time and absorb moisture, 2 things rubber or fiberboard will never do.

This perhaps means that if you want to go out running long distances, you should have your JL paris bespoke shoes' soles covered with urethane foam:D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads