• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to know if your shoes is crust leather or not?

mottykytu

Reaction score
I have see many reviews, comments... say that if you don't take care well of Crust Leather, is may discolor the shoes

Especially when using some conditioner that have cleaner in like Saphir Renovateur... it will destroy the shoes. Many famous shoes maker like St Crispin use Crust Leather, the point is how do we know if the shoes actually crust leather to avoid using Renovateur, Leather cleaner... on it ? Many thanks !

notdos

Reaction score
Crust or not, never use Renovateur for general cleaning. It’s really only needed, when after years of use, a shoe needs to be “Renovated.”
My opinion.

mottykytu

Reaction score
Crust or not, never use Renovateur for general cleaning. It’s really only needed, when after years of use, a shoe needs to be “Renovated.”
My opinion.
Kirby Allison use it everytime before his polishing ? May be I'm wrong?

mottykytu

Reaction score
If you don't use Renovateur, there is no need to buy Renovateur, that isn't a great outcome if you want to sell Renovateur
Renovateur is a conditioner used by many professional shoes-shiner before any polishing process, (Oxford elegance...) , I don't know why you guy think it only should be used every...year ?!

Blastwice

Reaction score
Crust is unpainted leather. Are you asking if the (ultimate final painted) color will change or fade over time? It may, so use colored creme.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads