Step Up Your Shoe Game, Son

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NORE, Aug 3, 2012.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

All too often I see an individual with a perfectly serviceable suit, shirt, tie and many times square and case only to look down at his feet and see drivers. C'mon. Once I was asked how old I thought an individual was and my reply? "Well, based on his shoe selection, I would say mid twenties". I was correct.

The usual reply to a query re their shoes is, "Comfort. I walk a lot". Now I can't be the only one here who believes your shoe selection can either make or break a great outfit. What is your take on this? Has improving your shoe game made you feel more put together?

I like the classics but will not wear anything resembling a My Three Sons opening credits shot. Most of you know where I am on shoes. Where are you? How far have you come in this area?

Let us know.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Stop calling people "son."

3. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

I've stepped up from outlet Florsheims and mall-brand square toes to Alden, AE and much more variety in general. Navy Boat Shoes, Tan Bucks, Suede Wingtips, Cordovan Boots, etc. Now I have more rotation to go with the increased quality, which means they should last longer.

I definitely notice my colleague's footwear, with loafer hybrids or an utter lack of cleaning/maintenance being the norm. We're talking shoes covered in a dull grey layer of grime with areas so rubbed through, there's no colour left.

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i dont buy this "comfort" bullshit. last week after meeting up with a fellow SFer, i was on my way home and ran out of gas on the interstate...long story short, i was in a coat and tie, and dress shoes, and had to run...seriously, run, not walk briskly, but RUN a good 12 blocks. guess what...my shoes felt fine. if your shoes are uncomfortable on your feet its not because you walk a lot, its because youre buying the wrong shoes. size, width, last, etc.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

I have addressed this in another thread.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

I feel you, son. I think I can play ball in my EGs. I think it was Spoo that said I go bombing in EGs. Hilarity. But if you only knew :uhoh:

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

im coming to NY and we'll have a one on one in lobbs. :lol:

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

lace up those EGs then.

10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I hear ya, son.

I only just recently turned 30, and only in the past two years or so have really made the change from crappy outlet-mall atrocities to much higher quality footwear (mostly AEs, but not exclusively). In this time, it's also become impossible not to notice the awful crimes against humanity being paraded on the average citizen's foot. But I will also say that it is absolutely not relegated to younger 20-somethings (or even 30-somethings) in my daily travels. Perhaps it's because in my field (medicine), physicians are notoriously fashion disasters. Whatever the reason, I notices just as many guys in their 50's and 60's (and beyond) who completely tank an otherwise solid outfit with terrible shoes. I really think it's simply that they don't know any better.

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

you're such a whitebread, son

12. vimkgt

vimkgt Active Member

Guilty of this myself... I'm 29 and only discovered "real" shoes this year after picking up my first nice site, some decent brown Zegna derbies. Before that, square Kenneth Coles all the way. As for comfort, it's a step above also. Shitty dress shoes caused me a lot more pain than decent ones.

The women notice too, first time I wore those or some suede double monks, I got compliments from lady coworkers who never said a word before about my KC's... Good thing too, you know, nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself...

Problem is just a total lack of knowledge. Going from $50 trainers to $150 leather shoes, I thought I was doing fine. Didn't know better until I put some thought into it and researched what makes a good shoe, and just trying on classically mens shoes was enlightening. No more ugly ass KC for me!

13. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

haha, Word!

14. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

At 21, my shoe collection is poor, I just buy a couple of high end shoes and let it be. Now I have not throw away shoes for 2 years.

However, learning lasts and leather quality can be quiet a journey, once you started to buy ok shoes..

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I did. Im strapping on my GGs and Ive got a Mulholland bag full of fat caps.

Son.