• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting process of building a custom home, any blog, article or book with tips, etc?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting process of building a custom home, look around for a bit and couldnt find anything that fit my list in every area, there actually isnt a lot avail in the part of Ma. I am looking to buy so I am going the building route.

Lot is selected, perc'd and septic all approved, ready to build... I just need a builder. I have several examples of houses I am looking to imitate, as well as several boards w/ magazine, etc. pics of details and how I want the kitchen, bathrooms, master, family room, etc.

I wanted to see if anyone knew of any good articles, blog, or books that lay out tips, suggestions, how to go about making builder/sub-contractor choices, save $$ here and there, a general layout of the whole process, and pitfalls to avoid for someone getting ready to undertake this. I am kind of nervous but excited to get started. Aiming for around 3800-4000 sq. ft. 3 or 4 bed (prefer 3 but for resale value I am thinking it may be wise to have 4), 3.5-4.5 bath.

I dont want to make any mistakes!!!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wouldn't an architect be a good place to start?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Wouldn't an architect be a good place to start?

Actually, I should clarify, by stating a "custom" home in my post I may have been a bit misleading... it is not going to be truely custom, i.e., plans designed from totally from scratch, it will be built from a selection of pre-existing plans with modifications.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to consider working with an architect nonetheless. This is a big project and the advice and counsel you can receive from a good architect could pay for itself and provide some interesting ideas even if you don't hire him or her to re-design the plans.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
You may want to consider working with an architect nonetheless. This is a big project and the advice and counsel you can receive from a good architect could pay for itself and provide some interesting ideas even if you don't hire him or her to re-design the plans.

Thanks for the advice, I will def. consider it. I was thinking of going that route but now that I think of it the architect may also be able to point me in the direction of a good reliable builder. I had one in mind but the timing just isnt going to work.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
This is a big project and the advice and counsel you can receive from a good architect could...

A good architect should not bother with making minor changes to mail-order houses. Find a half-ass architect with just enough accredidation to get **** approved.

Dwell just ran a good article about selecing contractors.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
A good architect should not bother with making minor changes to mail-order houses. Find a half-ass architect with just enough accredidation to get **** approved.

Dwell just ran a good article about selecing contractors.

I will try and locate that Dwell article.

For example some of the minor changes I am making is having the normal ceiling heights be 10', vaulted 25'+ in fam room with 23' wall of windows, various changes to window shape and size, minor relocation to bedrooms, some widening of staircases etc.

I am just confused as to whether:

(1) I should go with a plan/design I like from a site like Eplans (of which I have found a number of) and just make minor changes as suggested (maybe forgoing meeting with an architect (or at least a well establish expensive one); OR

(2) have a well established architect design me something from scratch (which I am sure is much more time consuming and costly).

There seems to be a lot of nice designs/plans available online for roughly $2k.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I am very obviously biased, but I plan on always using an architect (my girlfriend is an architect). While I have a very modern bias to the basics, I think a home should provide a place that is tailored to my family's needs, fits with how we interact, how we use and see space, and needs to utlize the site to its advantage (by using certain windows that open at the top at certain angles in certain parts of a room, you can effectively have a natural air conditioner - it's stuff like this that a catalogue cannot provide).

2,500 square feet of good design will get you far more than 4,000 square feet of cute space.

Hell, look what these people did with a mere 500 square feet

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate it when people call houses/condos/aparts "spaces".

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I will try and locate that Dwell article.

For example some of the minor changes I am making is having the normal ceiling heights be 10', vaulted 25'+ in fam room with 23' wall of windows, various changes to window shape and size, minor relocation to bedrooms, some widening of staircases etc.

I am just confused as to whether:

(1) I should go with a plan/design I like from a site like Eplans (of which I have found a number of) and just make minor changes as suggested (maybe forgoing meeting with an architect (or at least a well establish expensive one); OR

(2) have a well established architect design me something from scratch (which I am sure is much more time consuming and costly).

There seems to be a lot of nice designs/plans available online for roughly $2k.

You're going to need at least an engineer to make the changes you listed above.

As a previous poster stated an architect will help you making sure you have a cohesive space that is structurally sound and will incorporate materials and ideas you may never have thought of. Plus, guide you in making decisions on things like materials that are more cost-effective for you in the long run.

You can always meet with an architect, get a quote and if you decide it's too expensive, move on.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
contemplating a few different things atm, was looking into going a traditional colonial route with modern twist, but now I am also considering something in the opposite direction (examples below), and possible dropping the footage to about 3500.

As far as prefab I have read quite a few horror stories and unhappy people, atleast far more than those happy with the choice. I am very indecisive so building is going to be difficult, especially since I need this done sooner the better.

The lot I currently have picked out, is about 1.9 acres half pie shaped in a "upscale" development of about 12 houses, not mcmansions. It doesnt have a whole lot of privacy, but the view out the back would be quite amazing, as it is quite elevated.

Another lot I was considering is about 8.9 acres (similar in price, all ready to go) with lots of hardwood forest surrounding (no pinetrees which is a major consideration for me), not nearly as nice of views but greater privacy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
those places are from Lindel, I think they build at around $200 a square foot. I like them better than the majority of junk coming from developers these days.

brandon1987

Reaction score
I would also recommend working with an architect or architectural designer. Plans that you can get online or from a book are far too generic and will come across as "cheap" and "cookie" cutter which you definitely do not want based off the sounds of your choices of lots. Also, you are going to want to maximize and minimize certain views from within the house, and a good designer or architect will orient the house and room layout to do this.

I too, may be a bit biased since I am an Architectural Technologist working as a draftsman/designer for a custom homebuilder ($1,200,000+ homes). A generic plan will undoubtedly work, but a custom house will work THAT much better if your designer/architect knows what you want.

Good luck!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I am very obviously biased, but I plan on always using an architect (my girlfriend is an architect). While I have a very modern bias to the basics, I think a home should provide a place that is tailored to my family's needs, fits with how we interact, how we use and see space, and needs to utlize the site to its advantage (by using certain windows that open at the top at certain angles in certain parts of a room, you can effectively have a natural air conditioner - it's stuff like this that a catalogue cannot provide).

2,500 square feet of good design will get you far more than 4,000 square feet of cute space.

Hell, look what these people did with a mere 500 square feet

How much of a premium does an architect add and what's typical for $/sf for the type of place you posted in that dwell link?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
most of the architects I know charge about 15% of the cost. Not cheap, but it's a lot of work to start from scratch. I imagine many will ask for less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads