• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting my Allen Edmonds collection

keepsake89

Reaction score
I plan on buying 4 pairs of AE's at one time to start a collection for my rotation.
When is the next big sale for them?

I'm getting:

Park Aves - black
Fifth Ave - dark chili
Randolph Pennys - burgandy
Strand Cap Toe - bourbon

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan on buying 4 pairs of AE's at one time to start a collection for my rotation.
When is the next big sale for them?

I'm getting:

Park Aves - black
Fifth Ave - dark chili
Randolph Pennys - burgandy
Strand Cap Toe - bourbon

Slow the roll big guy.... I'm personally not an allen edmonds fan, I have several pairs in my shoe collection, and they get very little wear. I usually wear my Alfred Sargents, C&J, Edward Green Cleverley, RLPL (by Green / G&G) etc. I got the Sargents at 300 each at haberdash outlet online, and am very happy with them. I wear a lot of suede tassel loafers, but that isn't for everyone: its more my thing.

My biggest complaint about Allen Edmonds is the last they are built around: its short & stumpy. I actually like the Rutledge Allen Edmonds. My second biggest complaint about AEs are the heels - they use cardboard! Also they're not cheap MRSP - 385 almost 400. At that price, theres no doubt in my mind that Carminas make a better value.

Okay so, if you still insist on Allen Edmonds, heres my thoughts on your shoe selection:

1. don't get park avenues - they're ugly. I'm actually very impressed with the new model - cornwallis, although, even that I'd prefer if they used the same last the Rutledge was on
2. Fifth avenues - mehhhh.... boring, not a fan - same thoughts as Park Avenues & very similar.
3. Randolph Pennys - No experience (not a big fan of penny loafers - too new england for me)
4. strand - okay, I have 2 pairs of strands, they get no love in my rotation, but I don't mind them.
5. Try Allen Edmonds Dalton wingtip boots - they're probably one of my favorite in AE's collection.

Summary: try AE Dalton, Cornwallis

I think you'll like the Daltons

I'd have to look, I recently saw some other AEs I was impressed with that they recently released.

With Respect to when to buy: Rediscovering America Event is in the Fall, theres Nordstroms sales, one which was in August, & one which is in December after Christmas. I can't remember if the AE rediscovring America event has already happened this year yet. I don't pay attention because I don't buy Allen Edmonds anymore. I moved on when they kept pushing their prices first from 335-365-385 within the last 2 years. AE Rutledge is nice, but its a little more expensive than normal AEs.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The biggest pluses I see with Allen Edmonds is their great availability for the American market. They are easily available online as well you can easily find them at any Nordstrom and as well some models for exceptional deals at Nordstrom Rack stores. Also they have a few Allen Edmond stores. The other plus is when you get one that isn't quite up to snuff and that is fairly common when purchasing them sight unseen their customer service which happens to be really good will usually make things right for you even if takes more than one try. I think due to the large numbers they produce things in and the fact that they have a number of known issues like the bowing effect that looks extremely ugly they will work with you and try to make things right. The fact is if you buy more than one Allen Edmonds shoe, your bound to get one with a glaring defect.

Yes I would be a big proponent of buying Carmina at this price point as well. You would get a better constructed shoe in my opinion with better materials and better looking in my opinion as well as overall better quality shoe. If your lucky and catch sales there are other brands I would recommend as well but sales and getting something in your size is certainly not guaranteed. The one big minus of course is Carmina is not as readily available as Allen Edmonds which is probably why Allen Edmonds and the fact that their customer service is so willing to try and get you the product you should have received the first time are so widely purchased. If the American public had greater access to Carmina I believe Allen Edmonds would have been forced to do better or gone out of business by now.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only downside of buying 4 pairs of shoes at once is that you really don't know what you like yet or how they wear. Slow down. Get 2 pairs. Wear them and feel them.

AE is good solid shoes with its own distinct and irreplaceable styles that can't be found elsewhere.

For Carmina, I would rather save more money and buy EG or G&G. Not that it's bad shoes, just they lack the style or essence compare to the higher range brands.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Carmina are around 400 USD with the weak Euro. I could be wrong. I just don't like the shape of the allen edmonds last - I guess that might be more of a stylistic thing, and I would agree, figure out what you like before jumping in feet first (lame pun unintended).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads