• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style989

Reaction score
The VAT rate in Rumania is 19%, which will be included in the selling price. Whether St Crispin can (or is willing to) deduct the VAT, you'll have to clear with them. Coming into the UK, the goods and carriage will be charged with the 20% UK VAT (regardless whether or not the Rumanian VAT is included). Furthermore the currier will charge a flat rate for customs clearance, usually in the region of £12.00. There shouldn't be further taxes as the goods are produced in the EU.
Thanks so much

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering getting the 633 model on the classic last and need advice on sizing. Here are some size references.

Vass F: 41
Vass U: 41,5
Crockett & Jones: UK7,5
Enzo Bonafe: UK7,5
Carmina Rain: UK7.5 (needs break in)

Let me know if there's another maker that's a better reference. Thanks.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering getting the 633 model on the classic last and need advice on sizing. Here are some size references.

Vass F: 41
Vass U: 41,5
Crockett & Jones: UK7,5
Enzo Bonafe: UK7,5
Carmina Rain: UK7.5 (needs break in)

Let me know if there's another maker that's a better reference. Thanks.

Just based on those two (bolded), I'd say 7.5Uk should be fine. Expect to break them in like your Rains.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just based on those two (bolded), I'd say 7.5Uk should be fine. Expect to break them in like your Rains.
Thanks. I should add that I do feel a little pain in my pinky toe with cap toe oxfords on the rain last. It's not the best fitting last for my feet since I need a little more width. Full brogues on the Rain last are fine though since they're more forgiving.

Is the classic last shorter, equal or longer than the Rain in the same size? Same question regarding width? Would half a size up to UK8 be total stupidity?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I should add that I do feel a little pain in my pinky toe with cap toe oxfords on the rain last. It's not the best fitting last for my feet since I need a little more width. Full brogues on the Rain last are fine though since they're more forgiving.

Is the classic last shorter, equal or longer than the Rain in the same size? Same question regarding width? Would half a size up to UK8 be total stupidity?

Sounds like you experience the same issues as myself. I also have issues with the pinky toe on the Rain last. That along with instep tightness.

The only way I was able to mitigate those issues with the StCs was having the last modified to accommodate my fit issues.

As for your query concerning the viability about the next size up (speaking from my own experience), the shoe will be longer, have more space in the heel which could make the overall shoe feel loose. Considering most (myself included) gush about the fit, support, and feel you receive from StCs, a larger shoe will reduce the best aspects one comes to expect from them.

Compared to the Rain last, the Classic last, internally, feels more narrow. Based on outsole length and width, both are pretty much spot on. A same sized CJ is wider on both the 325 and 337. 337 is also longer. 325 a touch longer.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you experience the same issues as myself. I also have issues with the pinky toe on the Rain last. That along with instep tightness.

The only way I was able to mitigate those issues with the StCs was having the last modified to accommodate my fit issues.

As for your query concerning the viability about the next size up (speaking from my own experience), the shoe will be longer, have more space in the heel which could make the overall shoe feel loose. Considering most (myself included) gush about the fit, support, and feel you receive from StCs, a larger shoe will reduce the best aspects one comes to expect from them.

Compared to the Rain last, the Classic last, internally, feels more narrow. Based on outsole length and width, both are pretty much spot on. A same sized CJ is wider on both the 325 and 337. 337 is also longer. 325 a touch longer.
This is very helpful and has given me a lot to think about. Thank you.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt realize you could MTO through the website. A really cool feature.

If you're going to go the MTO route (especially more than one eventually) I highly recommend trying to get fit in person somewhere for a personalized last. Well worth it.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Finally dusted this pair off for a trip into the office.

IMG_20220726_181432_edit_420801959057663.jpg

jirages

Reaction score
IMG_2247.JPG

Hello hello, just purchased the 574 classic, new, from a member here, and was going to put them to the test.

Grand father soon, I have 'still' the majority of oxfords I aquired through the 32 office years, from me stupid John Lobb London MTM 30 years ago down to Santoni, JM Weston etc.

Well this pair of SC is the first shoes in my life where the fit is challenging me. I tried them for the first time, tightening the eyelets to the maximum, the left foot is in loose mode, whilst the right is in glove status. They are well MTO , as written on the box
Walking, my left heal practically slides on the back of the left shoe, feeling I could take them off, laced.
The size difference is not the length at all, it is the leather englobing the foot.
I took them to an old bespoke shop, and friendly they said they will fix them gracefully since I am a neighbour .
To test, they filled both shoes with mini pellets , and yes, the left shoe took a good more.

Without thinking, as 99% of my life, I did not ask them how they will remedy. But logically, I am afraid if they thicken the left insole to compensate, and I will be left with some asymetrical heights between right and left legs, nicking what is left of my back .
does anyone have some experience with after sales at SCrispin ? should I send them there? I want to incur costs, really, but only if the correction is clean
thank you

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1820602

Hello hello, just purchased the 574 classic, new, from a member here, and was going to put them to the test.

Grand father soon, I have 'still' the majority of oxfords I aquired through the 32 office years, from me stupid John Lobb London MTM 30 years ago down to Santoni, JM Weston etc.

Well this pair of SC is the first shoes in my life where the fit is challenging me. I tried them for the first time, tightening the eyelets to the maximum, the left foot is in loose mode, whilst the right is in glove status. They are well MTO , as written on the box
Walking, my left heal practically slides on the back of the left shoe, feeling I could take them off, laced.
The size difference is not the length at all, it is the leather englobing the foot.
I took them to an old bespoke shop, and friendly they said they will fix them gracefully since I am a neighbour .
To test, they filled both shoes with mini pellets , and yes, the left shoe took a good more.

Without thinking, as 99% of my life, I did not ask them how they will remedy. But logically, I am afraid if they thicken the left insole to compensate, and I will be left with some asymetrical heights between right and left legs, nicking what is left of my back .
does anyone have some experience with after sales at SCrispin ? should I send them there? I want to incur costs, really, but only if the correction is clean
thank you
I have no input, but just wanted to thank you for picking them up. I thought about them for the longest of time and always shied away because I have too many black oxford shoes. Nevertheless, I was still seriously considering them until I saw your post. Which was kind of relieving. So again, thank you for keeping my discipline in check. Now, I can use the funds to spend on some other meaningless stuff.

rayk

Reaction score
I have no input, but just wanted to thank you for picking them up. I thought about them for the longest of time and always shied away because I have too many black oxford shoes. Nevertheless, I was still seriously considering them until I saw your post. Which was kind of relieving. So again, thank you for keeping my discipline in check. Now, I can use the funds to spend on some other meaningless stuff.
I’ve bought numerous SC shoes on personal last over the years. If you’ve not had similar fit issues with other shoes, there surely is a problem. Did the seller by RTW or have his last adjusted to his specs? I‘d recommend sending the shoes back to SC and taking the hit for the charge for a modified last. Any work done by someone other than SC will likely not be your satisfaction. SC is a small business, maybe 1500 pairs produced per year. They want you to be not only satisfied but thrilled. Philip will bend over backward to assure that they fit as well as is possible. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads