• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mallaig

Reaction score
I think 633 works well with many different kinds of leather, as @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes pointed out. So choice of leather depends on your personal taste, the kind of clothes you want to wear them with and the way you'll be using them. Do you plan to wear them in a mostly formal/business context or in a casual setting? Are you looking for a leather that's pretty hard wearing and can withstand bad weather conditions? St C offers a huge array of different leathers with very different characteristics so it won't be an easy choice... I own shoes in many of the leathers that are offered by St C (of course not all of them are St C but most of these leathers are also used by other makers - except the exotics) so if you want to know more about a particular leather just give a shout.
Thanks.

I work in tech in the Bay Area. I generally wear jeans, with a more formal shirt and a sports coat. My shoes are Trickers, C&J, EG. I travel a lot so get exposed to all sorts of different weather.

For this pair I envision wearing them in dry, warm environment (California for most of the year), so I'm not worried about the robustness of the upper. I'm assuming that I'll go with a leather sole, or rubber with a leather mid-sole.

I hope this provides context. Any additional insight would be awesome.

Mallaig

Reaction score
Thanks.

I work in tech in the Bay Area. I generally wear jeans, with a more formal shirt and a sports coat. My shoes are Trickers, C&J, EG. I travel a lot so get exposed to all sorts of different weather.

For this pair I envision wearing them in dry, warm environment (California for most of the year), so I'm not worried about the robustness of the upper. I'm assuming that I'll go with a leather sole, or rubber with a leather mid-sole.

I've got a call scheduled for tomorrow morning with Phillip Car. Expect to get some input from him too.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I love the leather soles of STC. There's so much curves and polish done to it that it's almost an art to itself. Even tho STC does a really good job with sculpting rubber soles (esp in the waist), I still feel it doesn't compare to what they do with their leather soles.

Thanks.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Thanks.

In that case suede, textured leather or cordovan would all work well. Even the typical St C crust leather (CRU) works with jeans because it quickly gets an 'aged' look. In textured leathers the hatch grain (russian) develops a patina as well, contrary to Inca or scoth grain leathers that don't change a lot over time. It all depends on what you like...

papado

Reaction score
Thanks.

In that case suede, textured leather or cordovan would all work well. Even the typical St C crust leather (CRU) works with jeans because it quickly gets an 'aged' look. In textured leathers the hatch grain (russian) develops a patina as well, contrary to Inca or scoth grain leathers that don't change a lot over time. It all depends on what you like...

I would echo the hatch grain suggestion. I have a shoe from another maker in that leather and it goes extremely well with dark denim. It has just enough texture to be capable of dressing it down but is formal enough you can dress it up; you can polish up the toe and heels with a slightly darker burnish for a little more presence too.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
IMG_20200331_111635_906.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I would agree with @Meyboom that all the leathers that we have mentioned would be perfect for your purposes.

Please bear in mind that if you prefer an easy maintenance leather, the Russian grain requires substantial brushing. As mentioned previously, I have both of my SpTDs in the Russian grain and if you are not a fan of blooming (i.e. lightening along the creases) and a loss of vibrancy be prepared to brush brush brush.

The Cordovan is also not the easiest to care for since it develops rolls and it's own blooming (these damn leathers and their high fat content).

Saying that, these are not issues in the sense of headaches, but more like inherent characteristics. We can even say their own charms.

Which brings me to the two easier leather options, in regards to maintenance. You throw on some suede spray and a subtle brushing of the nap.. BOOM your done. Inca is just as easy to care for, but better in rainy cities (Bay area anyone). If their is a negative to Inca is that it really doesn't develop a patina. Heck even Suede develops its own usage color along certain parts.

I know you mentioned you had EGs. I have the Utah in both the Dover and a SoH shoe. Utterly Fantastic! Unfortunately, I do not believe that StC uses it, but perhaps can source it?

**** those are so good. Quintessential St.C right there.

Go figure I saw those boots and was thinking Enzo Bonafe, since they love putting a Norvegese welt on everything.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with @Meyboom that all the leathers that we have mentioned would be perfect for your purposes.

Please bear in mind that if you prefer an easy maintenance leather, the Russian grain requires substantial brushing. As mentioned previously, I have both of my SpTDs in the Russian grain and if you are not a fan of blooming (i.e. lightening along the creases) and a loss of vibrancy be prepared to brush brush brush.

The Cordovan is also not the easiest to care for since it develops rolls and it's own blooming (these damn leathers and their high fat content).

Saying that, these are not issues in the sense of headaches, but more like inherent characteristics. We can even say their own charms.

Which brings me to the two easier leather options, in regards to maintenance. You throw on some suede spray and a subtle brushing of the nap.. BOOM your done. Inca is just as easy to care for, but better in rainy cities (Bay area anyone). If their is a negative to Inca is that it really doesn't develop a patina. Heck even Suede develops its own usage color along certain parts.

I know you mentioned you had EGs. I have the Utah in both the Dover and a SoH shoe. Utterly Fantastic! Unfortunately, I do not believe that StC uses it, but perhaps can source it?

Go figure I saw those boots and was thinking Enzo Bonafe, since they love putting a Norvegese welt on everything.
Noooooooooooooooo
StC's Norvegese welt (.. or any welt) is levels above EB

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noooooooooooooooo
StC's Norvegese welt (.. or any welt) is levels above EB

I agree they are far superior at producing it. I am talking about the appearance of that Norvegese welt. You don't typically see it on the showcased headliner StCs. EB loves showing theirs on every other shoe.

I would even venture to guess if you launched each of their corresponding websites, StC does not include it while EB does. StC probably would only demonstrate it if you went under their boot section.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree they are far superior at producing it. I am talking about the appearance of that Norvegese welt. You don't typically see it on the showcased headliner StCs. EB loves showing theirs on every other shoe.
True. If I can get minute away from my kids tomorrow, I'll post pics of my split toe Norvegese as well since this is becoming a bit of a split toe extravaganza lol

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. If I can get minute away from my kids tomorrow, I'll post pics of my split toe Norvegese as well since this is becoming a bit of a split toe extravaganza lol

I sort of have been on this SpTD thing the last 2 years. I think I am up to 9 now. Thus, anytime anyone brings up the make I am all in on the conversation.

I have been with the boys lately. The misses pretty much is on Cloud 9 these days since I am home every day. Not because I am home, but more because she's free ?.

Incidentally, I believe my father time with them has led to the shoe shine hiatus haha.

andreasky

Reaction score

How does Utah leather perform under rain? How do you compare it with Inca and Scotch grain?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads