• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's a saddle leathered shoe?

p.s. when I think of saddle I think of this, and the contrast part can be anything, then if it's a derby then it's the StC thing, and can be with or without split toe
1621616112660.png

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's a saddle leathered shoe?

p.s. when I think of saddle I think of this, and the contrast part can be anything, then if it's a derby then it's the StC thing, and can be with or without split toe
View attachment 1613377

Saddle leather. The stuff used for saddles, harnesses, upholstery.

This picture of it from Etsy is good cause you can see how thick it is. Of course, you can split it, but it's thick as hell.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ohh, got it, thought we were talking about saddle as a pattern

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes would actually have shoes made of saddle leather ?. I thought this whole thing was about the saddle pattern as well

Hell no I don't have shoes made from it. Boots is what I have. I don't even wear them. They wear like iron. They feel like heavy-duty work boots, and feel as hot as Phoenix in the summer time.

I'm confident it was about the saddle pattern. If it was about using actual saddle leather in the shoes..***makes sign of the cross*** Heaven help this man.

Last edited:

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Hell no I don't have shoes made from it. Boots is what I have. I don't even wear them. They wear like iron. They feel like heavy-duty work boots, and feel as hot as Phoenix in the summer time.

I'm confident it was about the saddle pattern. If it was about using actual saddle leather in the shoes..***makes sign of the cross*** Heaven help this man.

Don't worry, it's about the pattern. I just saw the pattern, realized I don't have NSTs OR saddles in my collection- and knew I had to have something that covers both.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so you commissioned a museum piece...?

Actually, Vogel down in Brooklyn made them for me. Has to be almost like 15+ years ago. I remember I went in, not knowing much, and asking for a real workboot. Heavy duty.

I wanted saddle leather because I assumed it had to be good. The folks there advised against it. Told me it was going to be heavy, and not really what I had in mind. Of course, I was sure. Don't question me. Let's get it done.

Goodness gracious. Those early years when I was young, stubborn, and naive. ??‍♂️
These days only the young isn't applicable any longer.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Actually, Vogel down in Brooklyn made them for me. Has to be almost like 15+ years ago. I remember I went in, not knowing much, and asking for a real workboot. Heavy duty.

I wanted saddle leather because I assumed it had to be good. The folks there advised against it. Told me it was going to be heavy, and not really what I had in mind. Of course, I was sure. Don't question me. Let's get it done.

Goodness gracious. Those early years when I was young, stubborn, and naive. ??‍♂️
These days only the young isn't applicable any longer.

What kind of saddle leather? You can use harness but it’s not something I’d generally recommend

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of saddle leather? You can use harness but it’s not something I’d generally recommend

Was some time ago, but I believe it was indeed a Wickett and Craig harness leather which was obviously split.
From what they are, I wouldn't recommend them either haha.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An addition to my collection:

Brand: Barker
Model: Milbury (part of the Earls Barton Archive collection)
Supplier: A Fine Pair of Shoes
Colour: Burgundy
Sole: Dainite (olive)
Leather: Alpine fine grain
Last: 460 / F
Welt: 360

AFPOS site describes them as "Apron Front inspired by the Paris style". Certianly not a usual derby but a very nice shoe from Barker. The 360 notched storm welt gives them lots of presence and the green sole exudes playfulness. The green linning tells that there is something special with this shoes. The shoe is very well executed, taking care of all the details.

A great addition to my collection and as usual great service form AFPOS.

IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An addition to my collection:

Brand: Barker
Model: Milbury (part of the Earls Barton Archive collection)
Supplier: A Fine Pair of Shoes
Colour: Burgundy
Sole: Dainite (olive)
Leather: Alpine fine grain
Last: 460 / F
Welt: 360

AFPOS site describes them as "Apron Front inspired by the Paris style". Certianly not a usual derby but a very nice shoe from Barker. The 360 notched storm welt gives them lots of presence and the green sole exudes playfulness. The green linning tells that there is something special with this shoes. The shoe is very well executed, taking care of all the details.

A great addition to my collection and as usual great service form AFPOS.

View attachment 1627647 View attachment 1627648 View attachment 1627649 View attachment 1627650 View attachment 1627651 View attachment 1627653

Nice pair. ??

Also nice to see some new activity on here. The SpTD thread doesn't get much action once the summer rolls along.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads