• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some questions on Jeans

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm new to the SW forum so go easy on me.
smile.gif

I've been reading this forum for the past half-hour and have noticed that all the jeans I have (7s, R&R, Earnest Sewn, 575 and the like) are brands that most people here look down upon, even though I thought they were cool. I kinda feel like the guy showing up at AAAC and bragging about his RTW Armani suit.

Given that, what brands would you recommend in the $150-$250 range (I'm assuming this price range excludes forum favorities like APC, 45rpm and Nudie)?

Thanks,

Panzer

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope for 250 you can get APC and Nudies. Dunno about 45RPM, i heard they are a little more expensive, correct if im wrong boys and girls.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apc slots right into that category, so does Nudies on sale.

click on the SW&D Affiliate links above this thread and browse around. There is as much stuff available under 250 as there is above it.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Earnest Sewn is looked down upon. It's certainly the jean I wear the most often.

I have a couple of 575's, and they're okay for beater jeans and that's about what I paid for them ($15 or $25 brand new from dailydenim, and okay, one of them really isn't denim as it's black and white pinstriped).

And what the hell, I do have one pair of 7's, but they are really very muted. The denim itself isn't very good.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah i lik emy ES also. Just don't get to work them into my jean rotation b/c im so focus on my raw right now. PDC i like before the quality when down the hole.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Apc slots right into that category, so does Nudies on sale.

click on the SW&D Affiliate links above this thread and browse around. There is as much stuff available under 250 as there is above it.

Thanks. Is APC the one where I have to 'break it in' over the course of a month? Also, what are member's opinion of:

Paper Denim
Edun
AG
Monarchy
Blue Cult

Panzer

bsyde82

Reaction score
i think ES is looked upon favorably in this forum as far as washed denim go....i think most will agree

plus they pretty good cuts IMO for all types of styles (straight, bootcut, slim, skinny)

i like straight simple denim, with the exception of a pair of nudies that i want to cop

but brands u should check out:

rag and bone (thru denimbar) - simple, good construction, good fit

Kicking Mule, for your raw denim needs....i have the 1980, which is a real popular cut...and can be had for a discount thru revolve w/ the discount code

acne jeans (a bit beyond the 250 price range, but i like it cuz of the colors/fit and simplicity - although i think lots of forum members dont like this label for denim)

bsyde82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Thanks. Is APC the one where I have to 'break it in' over the course of a month? Also, what are member's opinion of:

Paper Denim
Edun
AG
Monarchy
Blue Cult

Panzer

any raw denim requires breaking in time....and it usually takes 5-6 months if not longer to break them in....

but doesnt mean they dont look good NOT broken in....i dont wear my raw pairs THAT much, so they prolly wont achieve that broken in look for like another year....i like the way they are now personally....theres just something unique about the raw state of denim which i'd like to leave mostly undisturbed....i have plenty of washed denim

as far as the brands u mentioned, i havent worn any of em except paper denim (before their steep price change, so i cant really comment on whether they've changed) - but if ur gonna go w/ them, might as well get earnest sewn, which is its more popular, better looking younger brother basically

monarchy denim is ugly, imo...just too loud

i dont like AG's cuts...they're usually way too relaxed IMO

never tried on eduns...but they're not really a denim brand ...theres too many good brands out there to go w/ a clothing label that just happens to make some denim as well

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II

Paper Denim
Edun
AG
Monarchy
Blue Cult

Panzer

i think SF hates any mall brands, or any overly distressed denim in general.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsyde82
any raw denim requires breaking in time....and it usually takes 5-6 months if not longer to break them in....

It doesn't take that long to break them in; it takes that long to fade them. Jeans should be comfortable after a couple weeks, if not much sooner.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think for 250 you can get pretty much any denim talked about on the forums besides the really exorbitant ones like the Suminando 45rpms? (those are the 700 dollah ones right?). You can get standard 45rpm Sorahiko's for 280ish or so, maybe cheaper.

bsyde82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
It doesn't take that long to break them in; it takes that long to fade them. Jeans should be comfortable after a couple weeks, if not much sooner.

right, i thought he was referring to the whole breaking in as in fading

only denim that wasnt comfy to me right away was the PBJ...like sandpaper....but is relatively comfy after the first wash

ineffable

Reaction score
I would recommend acne, nudie and earnest sewn for washed denim. All three can be found at steep discounts, usually.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are near SF LA NYC or denimbar, just go in and try a bunch on, pick one you like. Once you have it, there is no need to keep checking if it has "street cred", just wear it.

If you are not near these stores then you should order a few from some place which accepts returns. Like Denimbar, Selfedge, or Cultizm.

Personally I would start with Skulls, Flat Head, or LVC 501 '47. Oddly enough I have none of these
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads