• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need new "office denim" to replace Rag & Bone jeans

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My go-to for the last few years has been Rag & Bone; the cuts (RB15/15x, then Fit 3) were perfect for me, the denims were easy to dress up (different shades of raw/one-wash with resin finishes) and the quality was great for department store jeans (quality had been excellent a few years earlier with the hidden rivets, reinforced pockets and interior waistband). They were great jeans; perfect for my taste and lifestyle. However, the quality has gone down a bit (the fabric, hardware, construction and washes) and they no longer make the cut that fits me. Other favorites had been the Acne Mic, which has also gone by the wayside, and the old Helmut Lang straight leg.

I like a straight leg (maybe slight taper), mid-to-high rise (10-11.5in) that comes in fabrics suitable for use with a sport coat/dress shirt, so not too much distressing (resin/wax coating OK) and perhaps tonal stitching. I don't care about selvage or raw (one wash/lightly distressed probably best) but do prefer US-made denim (for tradition's sake, I guess, but mostly am opposed to paying over $200 for something made in an Eastern European or Asian sweatshop). Looking at the stuff in the $150-250 range.

Not sure if this is the best forum for this, or if it should be a MC topic (since I'd say my style in general more mirrors that). However I feel that the folks here know denim brands way better. Thanks!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.blueowl.us/collections/3...denim-classic-tapered-fit?variant=10297017217

Tonal stitching, tonal rivets, dark, higher rise, roomier in the thighs with a bit of taper, but nothing aggressive.

I'll be expecting my personal shopping fee in the mail.

Ooh, I like these! I'd forgotten about 3sixteen but I actually had a great pair of them a few years ago that were indigo with black resin sprayed on top which unfortunately never stretched out quite enough in the waist.

How would you size? In the aforementioned Rag & Bones I'm a 32 or 33 depending on fabric...

Looking at the Self Edge collaboration offerings, I'm wondering if the 32BSP 'Straight Taper', with a tiny bit lower rise and wider leg opening, is worth the extra $40?

For variety's sake, wising they made the 'brown weft' denim in a lighter weight...

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer the first pair, but that is a personal choice.

When in doubt, I size up. Life is too short for squished balls.

I would do the same (and may quote you forever in my signature line!). However it seems that only 3sixteen's actual retail site accepts returns for a refund (vs. store credit at Self Edge or Blue Owl), meaning I can't order multiple sizes in a couple of fits, opting to keep only one pair unless ordering directly (and they don't stock the CT120 and are out of the SL120 in size 33).

BTW, this may seem like a dumb question: How deep are the front pockets on their various models? One of the reasons I cannot simply size up on the slimmer fitting Rag & Bones is that they have pockets so shallow my phone won't even fit, as though they ran out of man-jean pockets and used leftovers from girl-jeans.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics