• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solito Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also never got the impression that he ripped anyone off. I don't know why every time his name comes up, people insinuate that.

In any case, maybe I can reach out to him to see if there's a certain number of orders that would convince him to come out. Maybe if we can combine San Francisco and NYC orders, he'll do it.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't remember if I was ripped off by Solito or not. I know I received delivery of a pair of pents from Ambrosi and Luigi was making the coat, all from my cloth. Because of some scheduling difficulties, I met him at around 11:00 one night in his hotel room for a fitting. I can't remember if I paid in advance or not, but I know I woke up in a strange bathtub and never got the coat.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't remember if I was ripped off by Solito or not. I know I received delivery of a pair of pents from Ambrosi and Luigi was making the coat, all from my cloth. Because of some scheduling difficulties, I met him at around 11:00 one night in his hotel room for a fitting. I can't remember if I paid in advance or not, but I know I woke up in a strange bathtub and never got the coat.

Are your kidneys still intact?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What was strange about the bathtub?

You wouldn't believe it, but it was Solito.

juuceman

Reaction score

I also never got the impression that he ripped anyone off. I don't know why every time his name comes up, people insinuate that.

In any case, maybe I can reach out to him to see if there's a certain number of orders that would convince him to come out. Maybe if we can combine San Francisco and NYC orders, he'll do it.

I don't know that people insinuate him ripping people off so much as him not delivering commissions that he has been paid for either in full or large portion.

Further, his communication leaves a significant amount to be desired. He comes and goes at his whims and desires. Literally, he will disappear for a year or so after promising to deliver a garment in a week or two, and then reappears and continues the conversation as if this is normal. Then he promises to delivery again, and then is unable to do so.

To be clear, this is the younger Solito who has traveled to NYC at least three times with Salvatore Ambrosi. The fittings did take place at odd hours, often late in the evening in smoky hotel rooms, and is almost felt as if he needed the cash to get through the next few days. Always odd.

Long story short, I think that this might be the case of a son being unable or unwilling to convert to the international trade much in the same way that Salvatore was, and the need to use a brick and mortar base of operations to run this, similar to the way that the Armoury serves for Salvatore now.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nm, learning to not engage in these debates on StyFo.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get him out, if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, exciting news. Luigi said he'd be willing to come out again if there's enough interest. I'm still getting information (prices, time table for visits, etc), but who might be interested in ordering? This would be for a NYC and San Francisco tour.

Last edited:

ccallis

Reaction score

OK, exciting news. Luigi said he'd be willing to come out again if there's enough interest. I'm still getting information (prices, time table for visits, etc), but who might be interested in ordering? This would be for a NYC and San Francisco tour.
Great news! I'm in for NYC.

JL724

Reaction score

Does wanting the suitcoat I originally ordered five years ago count or do I need to buy something new?

If I can get him back to NYC, hopefully we can get that sorted out.

I don't understand how you don't have an issue with promoting a guy and trying to bring business to a tailor who has screwed over members of this forum. If I didn't know about his past transgressions and I ordered something from him and he fails to deliver and you knew that his past was this spotty, I'd be pissed off at you and look to you to rectify it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't understand how you don't have an issue with promoting a guy and trying to bring business to a tailor who has screwed over members of this forum. If I didn't know about his past transgressions and I ordered something from him and he fails to deliver and you knew that his past was this spotty, I'd be pissed off at you and look to you to rectify it.

I don't understand your problem. I'm not hiding anything from people and I'm not "promoting" him. I'm just a guy who's interested in buying something from him, so I'm seeing if he would like to come out to the US. In order to do that, I'm seeing if anyone else might be interested. It's essentially organizing a group buy. People can read this thread and make up their own mind.

I don't owe anything to members of this forum any more than they owe something to me. Manton said he think the Solitos are trustworthy people; dopey apparently ordered a coat and didn't receive it. I'm happy to commission something and take my chances, as I really like their tailoring.

If you don't want to buy from him, that's fine. No one is forcing you to. But don't get on your crusade -- especially if you've never even been a client of the guy -- when other people happen to be interested.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads