• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solito Thread

JL724

Reaction score

I don't understand your problem. I'm not hiding anything from people and I'm not "promoting" him. I'm just a guy who's interested in buying something from him, so I'm seeing if he would like to come out to the US. In order to do that, I'm seeing if anyone else might be interested. It's essentially organizing a group buy. People can read this thread and make up their own mind.

I don't owe anything to members of this forum any more than they owe something to me. Manton said he think the Solitos are trustworthy people; dopey apparently ordered a coat and didn't receive it. I'm happy to commission something and take my chances, as I really like their tailoring.

If you don't want to buy from him, that's fine. No one is forcing you to. But don't get on your crusade -- especially if you've never even been a client of the guy -- when other people happen to be interested.

I have no issue with trying to garner interest for a tailor, as long as its disclosed to people that he has failed to deliver in the past.

juuceman

Reaction score

OK, exciting news. Luigi said he'd be willing to come out again if there's enough interest. I'm still getting information (prices, time table for visits, etc), but who might be interested in ordering? This would be for a NYC and San Francisco tour.

What's the math like on this? How many people are needed to get him here?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright, whether Solito comes or not, I'd like to help people get things straightened out with the family. If you're owed money, I'll help you get a refund. If you still want your jacket, then I can see what I can do to help coordinate things (although I can't promise that he'll definitely come to the US, so please keep that in mind).

In any case, if you're owed something, and have proof you paid, either post in this thread or privately email me. You can also message me on StyleForum, but I'll be honest -- some people are blocked, so if you happen to be one of those people, I might not get your PM (not trying to be passive aggressive here, just trying to make sure I get everyone's messages).

You can email me at this StyleForum handle (dieworkwear) at gmail.

Just to be clear, I'm not Solito's agent or representiave, or getting anything in return for this. But I talked to Luigi about the situation and he's eager to sort things out, so I thought I'd assist in that process.

(cc'ing @juuceman, @dopey, @Grammaton Cleric, @Cantabrigian, and @Manton because I know they were previous clients)

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would like to introduce my topless Ambrosi pents to their long longed for Solito coat-mate. Maybe we can arrange a public meeting on the Steve Harvey show.

Seriously, if you can figure out if you actually lost your deposit, let me know and I can help get your money back.

juuceman

Reaction score

Alright, whether Solito comes or not, I'd like to help people get things straightened out with the family. If you're owed money, I'll help you get a refund. If you still want your jacket, then I can see what I can do to help coordinate things (although I can't promise that he'll definitely come to the US, so please keep that in mind).

(cc'ing @juuceman, @dopey, @Grammaton Cleric, @Cantabrigian, and @Manton because I know they were previous clients)

Very generous. Thank you for the offer.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In any case, if you're owed something, and have proof you paid, either post in this thread or privately email me. You can also message me on StyleForum, but I'll be honest -- some people are blocked, so if you happen to be one of those people, I might not get your PM (not trying to be passive aggressive here, just trying to make sure I get everyone's messages).

You can email me at this StyleForum handle (dieworkwear) at gmail.

Just to be clear, I'm not Solito's agent or representiave, or getting anything in return for this. But I talked to Luigi about the situation and he's eager to sort things out, so I thought I'd assist in that process.

All worked out well for me.

What I ordered was delivered and was fantastic.

Would have continued to use Solito had they not gone AWOL - like not even responding to my emails / calls when I went to Naples.

Junior seemed like a solid guy. Would be nice if he could put everything right with everyone else.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't you in London these days? Solito visits london right? Have you tried meeting him in London?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Solito visits london right? Have you tried meeting him in London?

Solito, together with shirt maker Luca Avitabile (formerly Satriano Cinque) visits London regularly every 4 - 6 weeks (Traveller's Club, Pall Mall). They were last here 14 - 16 May and are due to return 25 - 27 June.

Luigi (son) is always attending and from time to time Gennaro (father) comes as well. My fittings for a jacket was done by Gennaro in April and by Luigi in May. The coat should be ready in June, so the final take-over check will be done by either Luigi on his own or the both of them.

http://www.sartoriasolito.it/PRIMA.html
http://www.lucavitabile.it/

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren't you in London these days? Solito visits london right? Have you tried meeting him in London?

I heard about that a few months ago.

I go back and forth on whether to try them again. Once Solito went MIA, I started using Napoli Su Misura. I slightly prefer Solito's cut but really prefer the customer service from NSM.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose that means it's a Solito jacket? The blog does not say...

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But is it Solito?

I cannot see any family resemblance between these two inside pockets. Tailoring firms don’t usually change the ways they construct things like inside pockets.

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2013/05/solito-jacket.html

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.ru/2015/06/menefreghismo.html?m=1

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Solito was collaborating with Ambrosi when he had so much trouble getting back to NY for fittings. So it does sound like him. Perhaps someone else in Naples was bailing him out on his overdue work?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads