• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solito Thread

juuceman

Reaction score

If any one else could post other pics of their Solito commissions at this point, it'll be great:)

If he would deliver my order from years ago, I'd be happy to.

I cannot believe that anyone is really thinking about using him as a traveling tailor. He's taken money from multiple members here and failed to provide the garments that he was paid to produce.

Perhaps if you're willing to travel to Naples, you'll get what you pay for. If not, be prepared for unfilfilled promises, tales of angst, illness, and redemption followed by revived promises to deliver. With the end result being nothing delivered.

He's good about responding to emails regarding initial commissions, and here and there throws out an email offering hope. Then radio silence.

It's a real disservice to the members here that the moderators permit thinly veiled advertising for this guy on the forum.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/199428/solito-angst

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
To those in London, another very good Neapolitan tailor who travels here is Nunzio Pirozzi. If you are worried about the unreliability of Solito (I never had the problem in fact he was super prompt with my delivery), I would recommend Nunzio. He comes to Marinella once a month if i'm not wrong. I've met the gentleman before and looked at his work, it is really beautiful (finishing may even be a little better than Solito's). Cut is slightly different admittedly, but beautiful nonetheless.

I understand this is a derailment of the Solito thread, but just wanted to post an alternative for the people living in London who don't know about another master italian tailor that travels.

I guess one added bonus is that with Pirozzi, Nunzio himself travels to London whereas with Solito, it is only the son, Luigi that travels.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To those in London, another very good Neapolitan tailor who travels here is Nunzio Pirozzi. If you are worried about the unreliability of Solito (I never had the problem in fact he was super prompt with my delivery), I would recommend Nunzio. He comes to Marinella once a month if i'm not wrong. I've met the gentleman before and looked at his work, it is really beautiful (finishing may even be a little better than Solito's). Cut is slightly different admittedly, but beautiful nonetheless. 

I understand this is a derailment of the Solito thread, but just wanted to post an alternative for the people living in London who don't know about another master italian tailor that travels. 

I guess one added bonus is that with Pirozzi, Nunzio himself travels to London whereas with Solito, it is only the son, Luigi that travels. 

Mark

When you say different cut, what makes it different? Is it more drapey? Also, any idea of price?

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
Mark

When you say different cut, what makes it different? Is it more drapey? Also, any idea of price?

The cut seems to be cleaner if i'm not wrong. Coupled with the better finish, which was why I was quite impressed.

Price at Marinella was 2000 pounds I believe, including fabric (for pretty good fabric may i add).

I actually met Signor Nunzio before I commissioned my Solito suit, and frankly I was quite torn between the two. I went with Solito because (1) I was going to Naples so i'd get measured and first fitting with Gennaro, (2) I think Luigi travels more frequently and promised my suit quicker (3) I thought price was he was cheaper but I was wrong>.<

Reason why I suddenly posted this was because I found out at Pirozzi is at Marinella in London now, and it just struck me it may be a good alternative for the Londoners who are struggling with trusting Luigi.

I would like to add however, that I needed minor alterations to my suit. I met Luigi in London on a saturday, and told him i'd be needing the suit back Thursday if possible. He very kindly took it back to Naples immediately that day had it altered and the suit reached me on Wednesday. I was very pleasantly surprised and appreciated it. The trousers hang very well now and (to me) the suit is perfect. So for the next suit, I wonder if I should go with Nunzio, Panico or stick with Solito again...

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The cut seems to be cleaner if i'm not wrong. Coupled with the better finish, which was why I was quite impressed. 

Price at Marinella was 2000 pounds I believe, including fabric (for pretty good fabric may i add). 

I actually met Signor Nunzio before I commissioned my Solito suit, and frankly I was quite torn between the two. I went with Solito because (1) I was going to Naples so i'd get measured and first fitting with Gennaro, (2) I think Luigi travels more frequently and promised my suit quicker (3) I thought price was he was cheaper but I was wrong>.< 

Reason why I suddenly posted this was because I found out at Pirozzi is at Marinella in London now, and it just struck me it may be a good alternative for the Londoners who are struggling with trusting Luigi. 

I would like to add however, that I needed minor alterations to my suit. I met Luigi in London on a saturday, and told him i'd be needing the suit back Thursday if possible. He very kindly took it back to Naples immediately that day had it altered and the suit reached me on Wednesday. I was very pleasantly surprised and appreciated it. The trousers hang very well now and (to me) the suit is perfect. So for the next suit, I wonder if I should go with Nunzio, Panico or stick with Solito again... 

Was that £2000 for a suit or jacket? Must admit, your Solito jacket looked very nice.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone know why Solito stopped visiting NYC? Is it cause there weren't enough orders? Wondering if I can help organize something a bit more reliable and long term if we gather enough interest.

cc'ing @Manton since he was a client.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At one point, his wife became very ill. That was what upset his schedule when he tried a few years back. I don't know if she made it through, or if he wants to stay closer to home for other reasons.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know why Solito stopped visiting NYC? Is it cause there weren't enough orders? Wondering if I can help organize something a bit more reliable and long term if we gather enough interest.

Help bring Musella Dembech stateside, PLEASE.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

At one point, his wife became very ill. That was what upset his schedule when he tried a few years back. I don't know if she made it through, or if he wants to stay closer to home for other reasons.

Oh that's right, now I remember.

I may contact him to see if either he's interested in coming out to the US.

Help bring Musella Dembech stateside, PLEASE.

They do nice work, but I'm not interested in ordering anything from them at the moment.

JL724

Reaction score
Doesn't he still owe clothes to a number of U.S. Members? Why would anyone want to use a tailor who has skipped town with people's money in the past?

C&A

Reaction score

instead of paone or in addtion to?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know why he stopped coming. I knew about his wife, though I have no details. He said something like two years ago that she had gotten through it. Maybe I'm wrong about that, I can't be sure. Or maybe there was a relapse. I don't know.

In any case, about two years ago, he sent an email saying that he had some very difficult family issues, but they were resolved and he would be resuming his travel. Since then he has "announced" trips to New York 3 or 4 times, but always backed out before actually coming over. If I had to guess, I would guess that--indeed--he just doesn't see a sufficient upside. I don't know how many clients here he has. And, in addition, starting up and then leaving lots of people hanging can't have been good for business. He probably would have had to deal with 2-3 years of lowish volume before things picked up.

I believe he could have done very well here. His price was/is quite reasonable and I think the work is great. It certainly fits and feels the best on me of anything I own. I would have been a long term client and only gone elsewhere for 3 pieces and other very stereotypically "English" things for which I think and Italian tailor would not be the best fit. And maybe for pents from NSM, which makes great pents for me.

As to leaving people high and dry, I can say only this. He did not do that to me or to anyone I personally know and am in contact with. He does have several pieces of my cloth, but not only did I not pay a deposit on any of it, I still owe him money for suits he already delivered. He's said repeatedly that he doesn't want me to wire or send it, that he will collect it the next time he comes to New York. I don't really ever expect to see him again, though, so I have no idea how this will end or even if it will ever get resolved.

I believe both Solitos--father and son--to be completely honest men. If other people actually paid for things not delivered, I can't speak to that. All I can do is report my own experience.

I finally gave up and started with Formosa this year. Not because I don't like Luigi, or because I am mad or anything. I'm more sad than mad. I waited a long time and I wanted to get the ball rolling on some new things and so I just had to move on.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Also, I hear that he does make regular trips to London. Obviously that's a lot easier and cheaper for him to do than New York. He seems to be doing well there. I think he also went to Asia once or twice but I don't know if he still does that.

I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone in London, or--especially--to anyone who can get to Naples. If I thought he was in any way a bad person, I certainly would not say that.

I've thought myself about going to Naples just to close out these last things I have with him and almost did it this past winter. It's possible I still might early next year. Or, there may be another way. We'll see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads