1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

So do people actually notice the selvedge/dry/awesomeness of your denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spencer Young, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

Background: I'm a senior at a highly ranked private college. Guys dress poorly, girls dress in frocky skirts/Uggs/aviators/sweatpants.

I've been reading SF for a bit over a year, and in that time I've drastically improved my wardrobe (for the most part). For about a month or so I've been working on my APC Rescues. I've gotten several compliments on them (apparently nobody wears dark indigo?) but also a few "what's with the cuffs". Nobody, and I mean nobody, has understood anything about them. Concepts like dry denim or selvedge make no sense; I don't present them as "these are clearly superior to whatever you are wearing" but just a different, quirky alternative to the norm.

In your experiences, does anyone actually react to your denim in a knowing way? I really enjoy them for what they are, but it's always nice to not be completely alone... I was awestruck when one of my friends had heard of Jantzen.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I've had someone say to me "Nice redlines" back when I was cuffing my APCs, but nothing ever since.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Yes. Mostly people who I already know, so they're somewhat into trends. Still, they get most ga-ga over a really good fit instead of selvedge this, extra slubby that.

A couple of my language professors have called them to the classes' attention, too. Odd situation to be in.

4. weirdnjfan1

weirdnjfan1 Senior member

I have a pair of Uniqlo selvage. I attempt to wear them at least a couple times a month, it's not like they're unique or anything. To say the least, I haven't gotten noticed yet. Although my english professor pointed out my NJ hat last week. It was a suprise to me.

5. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

I was in a shoe store in Vancouver at Christmas and I complimented hot salesgirl's Nudies. She was impressed, needless to say I'm having coffee with her when I come back to Vancouver. Thank you Styleforum, you have taught me the ways of the selvedge.

Edit> I should probably post on-topic. I had a Holt Renfrew employee compliment me on my APC's.

A.

6. cgeezy

cgeezy Active Member

I kinda get pissed when people are like "Hurrr hurr wuts with da cuffs?" My friends that I've explained selvedge too actually get it now, so thats good.

7. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Cuffing isn't about selvage. It's about dry denim shrinking after washing.

8. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

I've gotten complements on my Nudies and Rag & Bones from strangers, and most people can tell I'm wearing nice quality stuff. Nobody cares about selvedge though, and with good reason.

9. Dangydang

Dangydang Senior member

Only from dudes working at "streetwear" stores. My classmates probably think I'm poor by now since I wear the same pair of jeans everyday, but no one has ever questioned me about it, neither do I care to explain if they did.

10. Flame

Flame Senior member

No. People also never noticed alot of my other well-made clothes, as most simply aren't knowledgable enough.

11. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

I prefer to believe that the great unwashed are blinded by the higes on my super-slubby, natural indigo, shuttle-loomed dungarees with hand felled seams and rendered speechless by the whiskering and honeycombing on my ring-ring, japanese selvage denim jeans.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I was in a shoe store in Vancouver at Christmas and I complimented hot salesgirl's Nudies. She was impressed, needless to say I'm having coffee with her when I come back to Vancouver. Thank you Styleforum, you have taught me the ways of the selvedge.

A.

Congratulations. You are now officially her gay best friend [​IMG]

Seriously, very few people notice my jeans, except for salespeople working in streetwear stores. Or girls that hit on me (you know "Those look really cute" type of stuff; though they usually comment on my belts or leather cuffs first.) That's it.

13. kiko

kiko Member

I've had some chick friends compliment me on my SJs, but each time I had to explain the concept of dry denim to them.

Surprisingly, I didn't get any "EWWWWWWs", but "oh, mad" type replies...

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

i've had compliments from strangers/salesgirls/groupies about my Nudies and Julian Red about the fit. Never gotten anything on the actual selvage

15. minya

minya Senior member

my Imperial Dukes are the only thing that has impressed girls enough for them to compliment me so far. Oddly, my marble-dye Spruce hoodie, and the chief-skull Richard Kidd hoodie pretty much guarantee comments every single time I wear them outside.

16. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Congratulations. You are now officially her gay best friend [​IMG]
    Oh, totally...[​IMG]

17. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

shit... its not my jeans, its me. when i wear my orange tabs people are saying "oh shit... those selvage jeans are hot!" and i just laugh...

18. ruach

ruach Well-Known Member

I've gotten quite a few comments about my APC Cures. A lot of compliments as well as people asking what kind they are.

They have been mistaken for quite a few different brands, as well, including Acne and Nudies (from the front.) A few weeks ago a salesperson in a ridiculous Vancouver BC department store asked me if they were Prada.

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

my Imperial Dukes are the only thing that has impressed girls enough for them to compliment me so far. Oddly, my marble-dye Spruce hoodie, and the chief-skull Richard Kidd hoodie pretty much guarantee comments every single time I wear them outside.

Oddly? Both those hoodies are pretty eye catching. I get compliments on my Kelly green Tiger Fleece Spruce hoodie too. It's kind of hard to miss.

20. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Senior member

Yeah, I have only had people in "streetwear" stores compliment my jeans or the selvedge that is. The ladies have complimented the fit/rockiness and the dudes are left in amazement as I walk away with their ladies and a trail of fire following me all cuz of my sick ass jeans! Hah. Also, I really hope no one is rolling the cuffs just to show the selvedge. That is like having a plastic see through case on your computer to show off the new intel chip... just too dorky for me.