So do people actually notice the selvedge/dry/awesomeness of your denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spencer Young, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Congratulations. You are now officially her gay best friend [​IMG]
    Oh, totally...[​IMG]

2. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

shit... its not my jeans, its me. when i wear my orange tabs people are saying "oh shit... those selvage jeans are hot!" and i just laugh...

3. ruach

ruach Well-Known Member

I've gotten quite a few comments about my APC Cures. A lot of compliments as well as people asking what kind they are.

They have been mistaken for quite a few different brands, as well, including Acne and Nudies (from the front.) A few weeks ago a salesperson in a ridiculous Vancouver BC department store asked me if they were Prada.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

my Imperial Dukes are the only thing that has impressed girls enough for them to compliment me so far. Oddly, my marble-dye Spruce hoodie, and the chief-skull Richard Kidd hoodie pretty much guarantee comments every single time I wear them outside.

Oddly? Both those hoodies are pretty eye catching. I get compliments on my Kelly green Tiger Fleece Spruce hoodie too. It's kind of hard to miss.

5. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Senior member

Yeah, I have only had people in "streetwear" stores compliment my jeans or the selvedge that is. The ladies have complimented the fit/rockiness and the dudes are left in amazement as I walk away with their ladies and a trail of fire following me all cuz of my sick ass jeans! Hah. Also, I really hope no one is rolling the cuffs just to show the selvedge. That is like having a plastic see through case on your computer to show off the new intel chip... just too dorky for me.

6. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

I totally agree that showing selvedge for selvedge's sake is silly. My question comes from an observation that the brands we discuss, and especially recommend, are definitely not mainstream. I've noticed that people here at school think 7FAM is "good taste" and if you're really hip and with it, True Religion; I'm curious whether people notice what we would consider superior quality/construction/etc jeans as such, or if the regular world is just as brand-whorish as people at my school.

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I'm sure 95-99% of people don't even notice the selvage or care, so I have taken to Folsom cuffing my Uniqlo selvage jeans when I wear them. I'm too lazy/cheap to go get them hemmed and they are like 4-5" too long, so that's my best option. Tucking them under doesn't work very well or look good.

I have only had rare comments on my jeans, and only from people who weren't too jean savvy.

8. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

I'm sure 95-99% of people don't even notice the selvage or care, so I have taken to Folsom cuffing my Uniqlo selvage jeans when I wear them. I'm too lazy/cheap to go get them hemmed and they are like 4-5" too long, so that's my best option. Tucking them under doesn't work very well or look good.

I have only had rare comments on my jeans, and only from people who weren't too jean savvy.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Folsom cuffing? Search didn't turn up with anything.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Folsom cuffing?

10. minya

minya Senior member

Oddly? Both those hoodies are pretty eye catching. I get compliments on my Kelly green Tiger Fleece Spruce hoodie too. It's kind of hard to miss.
    yeah, oddly cuz I'm not used to getting compliments on a hoodie [​IMG]

11. j

Folsom cuffing?
    Jail-style cuffed jeans. I don't remember where I heard the term first, hell I could be misusing it. I mean turning them up an inch, then up 1-1/2 or 2" to length.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Folsom cuffing?

Folsom was/is a prison. AFAIK Folsom = big ass cuffs.

13. j

Folsom was/is a prison. AFAIK Folsom = big ass cuffs.
    Mine were big-ass but I decided it looked a little strange and they kept hooking on my shoes, so I toned them down a bit.

14. BigSur

BigSur Senior member

Congratulations. You are now officially her gay best friend [​IMG]

that made me laugh out loud.

15. Jen

Jen Senior member

Seriously, very few people notice my jeans, except for salespeople working in streetwear stores. Or girls that hit on me (you know "Those look really cute" type of stuff; though they usually comment on my belts or leather cuffs first.) That's it.

[​IMG] What girls?!