• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slipping tie knots- collar band peeking out above knot.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On nearly all my shirts I have the annoying problem you can see below... even if I tie the knot snugly, with a few shakes of the head it slips down to where the shirt's collar band peaks out above the knot, making me look sloppy. I'm not talking about gradual slippage over the workday, I mean it happens within a few seconds.

Should I get ties with higher friction/staying power (e.g. maybe heavier silk)? Is it just a flaw in the shirt collar construction? Or am I tying the knot wrong? With regards to the last point, I've found some success with the four-in-hand if I pull the knot up to my neck with the narrow end BEFORE I actually make the knot tighter but pulling down on the wide end... pushing up the horizontal part of the tie (the knot's face) all the while. I'm not sure if that last sentence makes sense, but I believe the critical point is that the horizontal portion of the tie needs to ride up higher like it does on the blue shirt below. Any tips would be appreciated.

deletesure-10.jpg

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
The "bad" you are pointing out is hardly a problem. Just adjust your tie every so often or at least when you see a problem in the mirror.

Aluan

Reaction score
I've wondered about this too. It happens with some shirts more than others, but I don't know why.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
tie clip.
I don't think so; the problem I'm describing doesn't result from the body of the tie moving around on my chest and stomach... I think it's more of an inherent problem in the knot or collar construction.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
post a pic of your actual tie knots, i'd like to see how you're tying them.
Alright, I'll do that when I get the chance.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've noticed this one too. I thought it was a result of the collars being squashed in the closet together, so the neck button area sort of starts to cave/fold in half.
My solution has been to leave my actual tie knot a little looser/fuller when I make the knot (still pulled up all the way, I just mean the actual tightness of the knot itself) and also angling the bottom of the knot out a littl bit to create an arch off my chest, thereby pushing to top of the knot over that collar fold.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
My solution has been to leave my actual tie knot a little looser/fuller when I make the knot (still pulled up all the way, I just mean the actual tightness of the knot itself)
That's sort of what I tried to describe in the first post. I never thought of the idea of keeping the whole knot kind of loose, maybe that's the solution.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
and also angling the bottom of the knot out a littl bit to create an arch off my chest, thereby pushing to top of the knot over that collar fold.
You mean like this?:
deletesure-11.jpg

That certainly solves the problem, but the arch you describe falls immediately in my experience. Maybe that's where one should use a tie clip?

incastoutcast

Reaction score
I've always found this problem is solved with two things:

1. A good tie - not to disparage anyone's ties here, but I find myself much less likely to have this problem when I use a tie with a good lining, and a bit of texture to the silk doesn't hurt.

2. A good knot - even on my lesser ties, I have less of a problem when I actually pull the knot rather tight (not against my neck, the knot itself) I'm generally using a four-in-hand and the tight knot keeps the arch up, and the wide end from slipping. This is also the purpose of the "dimple" - it seems plain to me that the two "good" examples we've seen so far have a strong dimple or crevice set in the middle, the bad example does not.

Wallis

caligula455

Reaction score
I've had this happen to my tie knots too. sometimes i can tug the horizontal part higher on the knot which helps. it might be a shirt collar construction thing too, maybe tie a half windsor instead to bulk up the knot a bit if the tie is thin?

I've also thought this might happen if the tie isn't wide enough in the part that wraps around.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you having your shirt collars pressed at the local $1 drycleaners?

I press my own collars, i pull the collar taught as i press it. I use nice ties and also tie a FIH (four in hand) knot with a bit of an arch.

I rarely have this issue. if it is its from some of my older shirts that i wore a lightly too large collar. (1/2").

Tight collar, tight knot, good tie seems to do the trick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads