• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slipping tie knots- collar band peeking out above knot.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed with FNB. But I also think that collar band height and tie material can make a difference: a short collar will push down your tie and some of my more slippery ties slide down no matter what.

jdcpa

Reaction score
I also had this problem with several of my shirts. The trick I found was to make sure that when you tie the tie, the edges leading into the knot are flat on the upper part of the collar. Then when they are flat cinch the tie tight and make sure the edges are flat. I've found it tends to work.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jdcpa
I also had this problem with several of my shirts. The trick I found was to make sure that when you tie the tie, the edges leading into the knot are flat on the upper part of the collar. Then when they are flat cinch the tie tight and make sure the edges are flat. I've found it tends to work.
I don't think I understand. What are "the edges leading into the knot" ?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might also try to find shirts with less "tie space" between the collar. Not sure if it will help, but it might.

charliesierra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by incastoutcast
I've always found this problem is solved with two things:

1. A good tie - not to disparage anyone's ties here, but I find myself much less likely to have this problem when I use a tie with a good lining, and a bit of texture to the silk doesn't hurt.

2. A good knot - even on my lesser ties, I have less of a problem when I actually pull the knot rather tight (not against my neck, the knot itself) I'm generally using a four-in-hand and the tight knot keeps the arch up, and the wide end from slipping. This is also the purpose of the "dimple" - it seems plain to me that the two "good" examples we've seen so far have a strong dimple or crevice set in the middle, the bad example does not.

Wallis

Thanks for that information on dimple/crease importance. Now maybe my knots will be more consistent.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by charliesierra
Thanks for that information on dimple/crease importance. Now maybe my knots will be more consistent.
Physically, how could the mere dimple possibly be of any help in keeping the arch up or keeping the wide end from slipping?

Wallis's suggestion of getting the knot tight seems at odds with the other poster's suggestion that keeping it loose solves the problem.

jdcpa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I don't think I understand. What are "the edges leading into the knot" ?

It is a little hard to describe. The part I am describing are the two points leading out of the knot, that connect and go around your neck. Since the tie is flat...make sure it stays flat around the collar and does not fold too early. For example, as you tighten the tie, the lengths of the tie entering to top of the knot tend to fold over instead of staying flat against the collar. If they stay flat...it holds the tie closer to the top shirt button.

I hope that's clearer.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
This can happen if the tie sits too low on the neckband. I often make sure my tie is as high up on the neckband as possible before it interferes with turning the outer part of the collar down over the tie.

+1 take the time to ensure this occurs and it will eliminate much of what you are experiencing.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
This can happen if the tie sits too low on the neckband. I often make sure my tie is as high up on the neckband as possible before it interferes with turning the outer part of the collar down over the tie.

This would probably help. I don't usually have a "slippage" problem, but I may try to add this to my necktie procedure.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jdcpa

Good suggestion, effective since it creates more resistance on the collar and is more likely to hold it snug.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread, since the slippage problem still isn't going away and a solution just occurred to me...

why don't I ask the tailor to sew a buttonhole into the actual back of the tie around the knot, so I can attach it high and firmly to the shirt collar's button?

I'd tie my normal knot, mark on the back of the knot closest to the shirt collar's button, then he'd just sew a hole there. Think it would work?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also suggest shirt collars with no tie space. I've also found that Pratt or Kent knots hold better than four-in-hand.

Twotone

GanglandDandy

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with excess collar space peeking out above tie knots except with a loosely woven silk knit tie. I assume the silkiness and the loose weave of this particular tie of mine makes it slightly more difficult to get a good tie knot and for the knot to be able to arch out.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Reviving this thread, since the slippage problem still isn't going away and a solution just occurred to me...

why don't I ask the tailor to sew a buttonhole into the actual back of the tie around the knot, so I can attach it high and firmly to the shirt collar's button?

I'd tie my normal knot, mark on the back of the knot closest to the shirt collar's button, then he'd just sew a hole there. Think it would work?

I have this same problem, but this solution sounds excessive.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not a good idea.
you would have to tie your tie in machine-like precision every time.
Or keep the knot in the tie (disgusting habit).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads