• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slight twist on "What to wear to a wedding"

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
It has been my experience so far that at least in this country, Fabienne, children are never named specifically in invitations of the sort, I think it is assumed that they would be present. I am sure one of the natives though may be able to shine some light on it for us.

Edit:
Lawyerdad is quick to the draw
smile.gif
. Go with what he mentioned.

What has really happened is that there has developed a rather complete lack of knowledge about how to form an invitation, and what the invitation means. Further, so many people just don't care to know - if they do they choose to disregard because they just "want to be me." The end result is that many DO make the assumption that you have made.

Really, nothing is more trying for a parent, a child, or a bride, than to have an unhappy three year old at a long formal church service. If Junior is to attend, maybe he could go to just the reception, dressed in the grey shorts, vest and kneesocks suggested.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I agree, that dress is very nice. And I'd say that price is a steal, too. Any pictures of the suit you were thinking of before?

No, I wasn't thinking of a specific suit, I was going to go on the war path. In my experience, it's difficult to find a suit that fits correctly (I am very petite), so I wouldn't trust myself to order it online.

One quick phone call to Le Train Bleu about a detail I want elucidated, and if that works out, I'll go ahead and order it. Thanks everybody, especially Fok, for all the help and advice.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the dress this morning, and it fits like a glove. Just the right touch of elegance and frivolity. Thanks again LA Guy.

I think the off-white mesh shawl with silver beading works with it, but I may avoid it for this particular occasion. Now what...

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pictures of the dress, and the problematic shawl. Opinions on the shawl? Other than that, an Indian dark green, almost brown wrap might do the trick in a pinch. I tried everything in my closet, and I have many pashminas of various colors, but I remain undecided.

PS: don't mind the hair, I had just bathed.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne - the dress is lovely, and very flattering - you have exactly the figure for it. Go with it. (My gf has a dress which is cut more or less like that, by Anna Molinari, I think. It's her favourite.)

However, I'm not too keen on the shawl - it's slightly similar to a bridal veil, and I don't think it does much for the dress.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your welcome Fabienne. The bill is in the mail
smile.gif
The looks like a perfect fit, and I think complements your figure and hair color very well.

Since this is a summer wedding, and the dress is quite dark (I recommended it because it was dark enough for evening, but with enough whimsy to be worn a little earlier in the day.) I would recommend, based on your photographs, a long scarf rather than a shawl for the evening. Something in a semishear complementary orange (careful - you have to do this in person because of your hair color and complexion) with green highlights would do well. I would also suggest some whimsical lighter colored open toed shoes.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fok, you're amazing. Are you doing this professionally? Many would compensate generously for such astute advice.

My hair was still wet, the color is more accurate on the picture I just posted in "What are you wearing today" thread, a dark blonde with red (natural, alas) highlights. But yes, that green, most greens, work with my hair color/complexion.

I agree with Lucky Strike, about the "veil-like" quality of the wrap. That's out.

I suppose the shoes would have to recall the scarf. I admit that I grabbed the first pair that looked like it might work. I'm not sure I have the perfect shoes for the outfit, but I'll try those I have in my closet. Off-white beaded high heel sandals would not be disrespectful, would they?

Great idea about the scarf. I have in fact very few scarves, and none of them are long. Time to put on the dress and go shopping...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Wow!!!!!

Fabienne, you look great
smile.gif

Enjoy the wedding.

Did you ever decide whether or not you are going to take your son?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My goodness Fabienne, I hope you are told daily what a beautiful woman you are. Great choice for the wedding attire. Have fun.

damonallan

Reaction score
Here in Canada, the invitations are either addressed:

Mr. and Mrs. Allan or Allan Family. I guess it depends. Give your friend a call to be sure. Or is could read, Damon Allan and Guest. Number attending __

Have fun!

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Thank you for the compliments. I'm not so sure I'm that good looking, but I'll keep trying to convince myself. Don't mind my protestations, I'm a tough critic, I guess, despite being honked at by truck drivers on occasion!
laugh.gif

No, my son will stay with my mother who will be visiting from France for 2 weeks, and friends will keep them entertained in the afternoon.

It will be wonderful to have a date with my husband.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by damonallan
Here in Canada, the invitations are either addressed:

Mr. and Mrs. Allan or Allan Family. I guess it depends. Give your friend a call to be sure. Or is could read, Damon Allan and Guest. Number attending __

Have fun!

There was a place stating "Number attending", indeed. I don't want to bring it up with her, for fear of making her feel uncomfortable. Still, I wish the signs were clearer.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post wedding report:

I accessorized in orange tones. Chandelier earrings, strappy orange medium heel sandals, long woven orange shawl. I think it worked well.

La mariÃ
00a9.png
e Ã
00a9.png
tait en blanc.

There were children at the wedding and wedding reception.

One lady-from Colombia-wore white (short cocktail dress with sparkly silver stars).

The range of interpretations of what is acceptable to wear at a wedding was bewildering.

I hope the swallow caught underneath the tent was not a bad omen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads