• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great choice there. I usually would not think of going high end for a pair of Chelsea boots due to how infrequently I wear mine compared to other shoes/boot styles, but this is one where I would actually consider it.

I used to do this. I mean even after getting a few high end shoes. I used to pay less for certain styles. Now if I get any shoe or boot I go higher end. I figure if it's worth getting I might as well get the best I'm willing to pay regardless of what it is. I might as well do it right or not do it at all.

Last edited:

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to do this. I mean even after getting a few high end shoes. I used to pay less for certain styles. Now if I get any shoe or boot I go higher end. I figure if it's worth getting I might as well get the best I'm willing to pay regardless of what it is. I might as well do it right or not do it at all.

I have been feeling the same way unless I'm not sure if I will ever even wear a style just because I can't sell them if they aren't my thing. That's the problem with my size. Haha.

But I have gotten to the point where the "lowest" end is Enzo bonafe anyway so if I want to try something different I go with them. And they certainty are not low end. Haha. They are great shoes and even better when Factoring in the price.
But with EG and GG I inly get shoes that I know I will want to wear on a more normal basis, even if the coloring or materials are a bit "out there".

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been feeling the same way unless I'm not sure if I will ever even wear a style just because I can't sell them if they aren't my thing. That's the problem with my size. Haha.

But I have gotten to the point where the "lowest" end is Enzo bonafe anyway so if I want to try something different I go with them. And they certainty are not low end. Haha. They are great shoes and even better when Factoring in the price.
But with EG and GG I inly get shoes that I know I will want to wear on a more normal basis, even if the coloring or materials are a bit "out there".

I'm doing my best to be more selective, which is kind of hard when everybody keeps parading around all of these great shoes or boots.

I'm buying a lot less on the spur of the moment than I used too, and even though the last two where this way it doesn't happen nearly as often as it used too. The Shanklins were but that was to good of a deal to pass up, and the St James in Kudu/ Cedar Calf but I had been considering a St James and a Kudu shoe for awhile now. By keeping the spur of the moment purchases down and giving more purchases more consideration prior to purchasing this tends to keep me more on track.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This year my plan is to knock out a few staples black captoe, double monk, chelsea boot etc.

I did that last year and mostly these were just upgrades. For me even though I had the style already the upgrade was extremely important to me. i enjoy very much those things that come with the type of footwear I am currently buying..

Last edited:

Skoaktiebolaget

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
x-post from affiliate thread

I need some advice on sizing in Rain. FYI, I have two Forest 8UK derbies/bluchers and an 8.5UK Simpson split-toe blucher. All in calf. I am very comfortable in both. I also have an 8UK Rain calf oxford which I wore 4-5 times last spring. I recall them being comfortable though snug. Indeed, I then assumed Rain was my best last.

I don't wear oxford so much but wore them yesterday after perhaps 4 months, and they feel more snug than I remember and than I'm now used to with the Forest/Simpson that I wear more frequently. Part of it is the oxford versus derby lacing I think. The snugness is right at the side of the big toe below the lacing, whether the leather goes over the top of the foot. I'd love them to stretch a touch more.

OK: on my GMTO, polo suede oxford Rain last. Given reports of Carmina suede stretching, I am inclined to stick with 8UK and expect more stretching in suede. Does that seem right?

Anyway: advice appreciated.

@Leaves @Skoaktiebolaget do weigh in if you have an opinion.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need some advice on sizing in Rain. FYI, I have two Forest 8UK derbies/bluchers and an 8.5UK Simpson split-toe blucher. All in calf. I am very comfortable in both. I also have an 8UK Rain calf oxford which I wore 4-5 times last spring. I recall them being comfortable though snug. Indeed, I then assumed Rain was my best last.

I don't wear oxford so much but wore them yesterday after perhaps 4 months, and they feel more snug than I remember and than I'm now used to with the Forest/Simpson that I wear more frequently. Part of it is the oxford versus derby lacing I think. The snugness is right at the side of the big toe below the lacing, whether the leather goes over the top of the foot. I'd love them to stretch a touch more.

OK: on my GMTO, polo suede oxford Rain last. Given reports of Carmina suede stretching, I am inclined to stick with 8UK and expect more stretching in suede. Does that seem right? 

Definitely stick with 8 UK, suede is not going to stretch that much to justify sizing down especially considering your already have snug fit on Rain last.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@Leaves
  @Skoaktiebolaget
 do weigh in if you have an opinion.

Please always email [email protected] for fitting advice. Thanks.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks to Gabe's help, a Skoak photo of an incoming

Very smart, very nice.
Congrats!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads