• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing loafers...

lordgrover

Reaction score
I'm struggling with loafers. Pretty much all my shoes are UK11 and fit well, pretty much out of the box; from Joseph Cheaney, Barker, Meermin, Justin Fitzpatrick, etc. My feet are paradoxically skinny, yet wide(ish).
I've fancied some loafers and recently bought two pairs, one Scarosso and another Jones Bootmakers. Both fitted very well initially, but after a week or two of wear they're both too big/loose. Now that it's happened again, I remember this happening previously, and probably why I haven't bought any for many years.
Is it a style which requires buying 'too small', putting up with the discomfort/pain until they stretch out or should I just shelve the idea?

strider11

Reaction score
I had the same issue with loafer buys. But I rate the risk of getting loafers too tight as worse than too loose. Meermin recommended buying a half-size down, which I ignored, thankfully. Wore them out of the box and 4 weeks later, they fit fine.

Could try a shoe stretcher if you go small and they remain uncomfortable.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
My personal experience with loafers is I almost always buy a half size down. I’ve never had the issue of loafers being too tight - I size down on all my loafers regardless of brand and it seems to do the trick. I normally wear an 11 in shoes but I find that 10.5 US size fits me perfect for loafers. So perfect that it makes me wonder if 10.5 is my true size and not 11. I order all my loafers online by the way - I can’t be bothered to go to a store for pretty much anything. Online shopping is amazing, and I don’t want to sound like a curmudgeon but dealing with sales folks can be annoying especially since I know my exact style and what I want/like pretty much all the time.

So yeah, half size down does the trick for me.

SteveMc

Reaction score
I have three pairs of loafers. All bought online. The first pair, is my size 9.5 and by the end of the day, there's a definite heel slip. So much that I had to buy tongue pads to try and fix it a bit.
The following pairs are 1/2 size down and there's very little heel slip if any.
So yeah, I'd recommend going 1/2 size down with loafers.

rjc149

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have low arches and wide feet, and loafers just don't work for me. Stock loafers are made with an instep for normal arches, which are too roomy for me and the vamp won't keep my feet in place. Obviously, there are no laces to adjust that volume. Sizing down squishes my toes. I've bagged the loafer concept entirely.

Maybe you can make a pair work, but some shoe styles aren't intended for certain feet.

MattyS

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have low arches and wide feet, and loafers just don't work for me. Stock loafers are made with an instep for normal arches, which are too roomy for me and the vamp won't keep my feet in place. Obviously, there are no laces to adjust that volume. Sizing down squishes my toes. I've bagged the loafer concept entirely.

Maybe you can make a pair work, but some shoe styles aren't intended for certain feet.
I have wide feet and no arches: my feel are completely flat. The only loafers I've been able to find that work for me are the high-vamp Sydney penny loafers from Crockett and Jones in the G fitting.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have a question regarding sizing of loafers. I have C&J Boston in size UK 10,5 - from C&J fitting guide that is 28cm (very weird but ok as UK 10 is usually 29cm and my foot is 28,9-29cm). They fit me perfect. They felt a bit tight on the left size of my toe of the right foot (same spot as I marked on the photo) but after some wear they are great. I have right foot around half a size bigger than my left foot so there is maybe a little heel slippage. But also Boston is imo just a little pointy in the toebox so there is still a little room in front where my middle toes are.

But now I wanted new suede penny loafer and because I could not get Alden 6243F in my size from any EU retailer I went to search for alternatives that would visually match my wishes. So I found a penny loafer from Velasca called Piugiatt and I really like how they look so I ordered them. Their sizing says 28,8-29,1cm is size UK 10 - EU 44 so I went with that size. I got them delivered yesterday and I like them even more in person - they look great and the shape is just what I wanted.

Left foot fits perfect, maybe even a little loose, I have just a little heel slip - same as with Bostons. But right foot fits a little tight width wise in toebox - it is putting a little too much pressure on the outer side of the toe at the corner of the nail - in length I would say I still have a few mm of room in the front. Should I expect them to stretch out in that area?
I attached 2 photos to explain where I feel pressure that starts to feel a little uncomfortable when walking. They are suede with leather lining - very similar to Bostons that are leather with leather lining. I am afraid that going up half a size would be too big and I would get too much heel slip on the left foot. What should I use to stretch the width of the toebox?

I would be super happy for any suggestions and recommendations.

P.S. I was searching a bit more how to stretch toebox and I came around this tool. Is it worth a try?

IMG_5322_1.jpg

IMG_5370_1.jpg

Last edited:

Bythenumbers

Reaction score
I have and use a shoe stretcher like that. It works, and is highly adjustable, but the shoes eventually (in a day or a week or a month) return to their original shape. One can buy shoe stretching spray which is supposed to improve the results: I haven’t used that.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have and use a shoe stretcher like that. It works, and is highly adjustable, but the shoes eventually (in a day or a week or a month) return to their original shape. One can buy shoe stretching spray which is supposed to improve the results: I haven’t used that.
I have got it and used it but it did not do anything in that part of the toebox really. After wearing them for around the house for a few hours total this week they still don't seem more comfortable in the marked area of the toebox. I still feel pressure on my toe from the medial side of the shoe. That is the only problem I have with this shoe and I am not sure if I am willing to risk to wear them in hope this will stretch out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads