• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Come on, vox. You're not the only one who cares. I'd argue that few care more deeply than the mods. Now that I'm one of them (though not in MC), I can tell you that wholeheartedly. Several of us newly-appointed mods became such because we did care so much.

But it's a hard job, and there have to be rules for mods to follow. We talk about this being a bar, but at some level you do have to have some kind of an, umm, constitution. Guidelines for the mods to follow. And the moderation around here is generally pretty solid. Maybe you don't love the way some of it is going down - let's use this thread as a place for some productive discussion. How would you moderate out the **** in MC? Ban posters with dumb questions? Or bad taste? If the latter, then who is to be named the (pardon the phrasing here I just can't help myself and actually it's sort of making a point) arbiter elegantarium?

I posted a few attempts at meaningful discourse in MC recently and basically found that I was ignored. Probably appropriate in some regard, but I did post a serious thread asking for some bespoke advice and was sad to see not only how quickly it was off the front page but also at the lack of response. I didn't think it was that bad a thread.

How would you change the moderation, understanding that there may have been a miscommunication with respect to the bike thread, but focused perhaps more on the larger problem of quality in MC?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ A case in point. What do you do with a bris?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Come on, vox. You're not the only one who cares. I'd argue that few care more deeply than the mods. Now that I'm one of them (though not in MC), I can tell you that wholeheartedly. Several of us newly-appointed mods became such because we did care so much.
But it's a hard job, and there have to be rules for mods to follow. We talk about this being a bar, but at some level you do have to have some kind of an, umm, constitution. Guidelines for the mods to follow. And the moderation around here is generally pretty solid. Maybe you don't love the way some of it is going down - let's use this thread as a place for some productive discussion. How would you moderate out the **** in MC? Ban posters with dumb questions? Or bad taste? If the latter, then who is to be named the (pardon the phrasing here I just can't help myself and actually it's sort of making a point) arbiter elegantarium?
I posted a few attempts at meaningful discourse in MC recently and basically found that I was ignored. Probably appropriate in some regard, but I did post a serious thread asking for some bespoke advice and was sad to see not only how quickly it was off the front page but also at the lack of response. I didn't think it was that bad a thread.
How would you change the moderation, understanding that there may have been a miscommunication with respect to the bike thread, but focused perhaps more on the larger problem of quality in MC?

Please repost. For what it is worth, I agree that MC is pretty crappy and I find it more efficient to follow a few posts and only the scan the index every couple of days. I rarely find anything new to follow.

emptym

Reaction score
As the past couple pages have shown, being a mod is tricky business.

How do you balance the needs of those who feel like they have the right to say whatever they want to say with those who feel they have the right only to hear what they want to hear?

How do you enforce sensible rules while making sensible exceptions, without making those who aren't exceptional feel you're being insensible?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

But it's a hard job, and there have to be rules for mods to follow. We talk about this being a bar, but at some level you do have to have some kind of an, umm, constitution. Guidelines for the mods to follow.
And the moderation around here is generally pretty solid. Maybe you don't love the way some of it is going down - let's use this thread as a place for some productive discussion. How would you moderate out the **** in MC? Ban posters with dumb questions? Or bad taste? If the latter, then who is to be named the (pardon the phrasing here I just can't help myself and actually it's sort of making a point) arbiter elegantarium?

If SF was a once bar, and now is a bar with bar rules, then it also now a bar full of advertisements and where at any time, one of the dudes on a stool next to you is there to sell you something. (SF is also a bar, it would seem, where it you can't drink a G&T in the scotch section, and in which beers are forbidden in the Frozen Mocktail section. And sir, please pay for your drink before you leave your section.)

It is a bar in which all conversations, habits, and behaviors are recorded, sometime surveilled, and then essentially packaged as commercial inducement.

That inducement has to do with volume and throughout: advertise and sell on Styleforum because you reach a large "market." Someone searches "seven fold tie" on Google, clicks the SF link, and only sees a period?

Outrageous. We simply can't have that.

"Large" in this case means, by and large, eyeballs. Each one counts the same. Since so many of these are the drive-by posters, the style of "journalism" and moderation on the site is geared toward that front, in my opinion.

Why are the minor, peninsular sub-forums of SF deemed more tolerable than the main (by activity) MC forum? Is there a lot of selling and marketing of wares in the What Did You Eat Last Night thread? No? No bacon being hawked? Are there a lot of Google-searchers coming in asking, "What, exactly, is salt and can I use it at a wedding?" No?

Keep in mind that at the top, there is the serene feeling that nothing is wrong. SF today, the story goes, is just like SF ten, eight, five, three years ago. There is no car crash, folks, move along.

The type of fixes that I have in mind are impossible because they require the reversal of the emerging business model of SF, which is quantity-driven.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If SF was a once bar, and now is a bar with bar rules, then it also now a bar full of advertisements and where at any time, one of the dudes on a stool next to you is there to sell you something. (SF is also a bar, it would seem, where it you can't drink a G&T in the scotch section, and in which beers are forbidden in the Frozen Mocktail section. And sir, please pay for your drink before you leave your section.)
It is a bar in which all conversations, habits, and behaviors are recorded, sometime surveilled, and then essentially packaged as commercial inducement.
That inducement has to do with volume and throughout: advertise and sell on Styleforum because you reach a large "market." Someone searches "seven fold tie" on Google, clicks the SF link, and only sees a period?
"Large" in this case means, by and large, eyeballs. Each one counts the same. Since so many of these are the drive-by posters, the style of "journalism" and moderation on the site is geared toward that front, in my opinion.
Why are the minor, peninsular sub-forums of SF deemed more tolerable than the main (by activity) MC forum? Is there a lot of selling and marketing of wares in the What Did You Eat Last Night thread? No? No bacon being hawked? Are there a lot of Google-searchers coming in asking, "What, exactly, is salt and can I use it at a wedding?" No?
Keep in mind that at the top, there is the serene feeling that nothing is wrong. SF today, the story goes, is just like SF ten, eight, five, three years ago. There is no car crash, folks, move along.
The type of fixes that I have in mind are impossible because they require the reversal of the emerging business model of SF, which is quantity-driven.

This is key.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How do you balance the needs of those who feel like they have the right to say whatever they want to say with those who feel they have the right only to hear what they want to hear?
How do you enforce sensible rules while making sensible exceptions, without making those who aren't exceptional feel you're being insensible?

i do not know. but there has to be an answer. if we truly care, and i think we do, we will find one.

nvm...

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Here are three very simple ways to start.

1. Create a higher post threshold under which new members cannot start a thread. Let's say 50 posts.

2. Create a new member subforum. The first five threads started by any new member go into this sub forum. If the thread then gets more than, oh, ten non-OP responses, it gets auto-promoted into the subforum category the OP would have already chosen.

3. Create a thread start and/or post count threshold beyond which senior members can:

a. Turn off (or leave) all banner and sig line advertizing in their forum views as they wish.

b. Have post deletion powers within threads that they start.

Now, this will never happen because items 1 and 2 would dramatically decrease the traffic count for SF. In particular, the vast preponderance of threads in the new member forum would wither on the vine. Item 3 will never happen because it favors content creators over content consumers.

But, it would make for a much better forum for the active participants.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have articulated what I and I believe many of us here feel. But the fact remains that if we don't contribute monetarily to the upkeep of the site, then the owners must do what they must do. 'Tis sad but reality. I'm not for it but I totally understand. And, now that social media has taken off, there are countless blogs & tumblers and whatyoucallits to contend with.

Fact: If I and a few others want to keep the Shoe Pr0n thread exactly about that, true shoe pr0n, but 99% want it to be a WSAIWT or WVMHAS&HFST thread, what do you think the owners will err in favor of? It's a losing battle, friend (and I use that term loosely)

:)

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:lol: This made me spit water all over my keyboard. Thanks.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't envy you...

You have a very difficult task because members will react differently to snark, irony, jokes ,personal attacks/insults or just disagreements..

Some people are thick skinned when others react very strongly to certain stimuli...

The internet is not also the best medium to carry snark and irony , opening comments to various interpretations transforming misinterpretated banter into full blown verbal battles.

I'm not the reporting type because I do think contacting you must be a last resort...

Mods can be as strict as they want as long as they are perceived as being fair..

You have done a very good job to let the snark /banter flowing..

I'm waiting to see how the new mods will adapt to their new positions and reconcile being members and mod...

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
one way i began reconciling it was taking you off ignore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads