• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking the Waist on Trousers

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for a skillful tailor to make a 36 waist into a 32? I would also want the trousers to be slimmer everywhere, probably. I suppose this would inolve basically remaking the trousers, but is it possible?

Thank you very much for answering my question.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Is it possible for a skillful tailor to make a 36 waist into a 32? I would also want the trousers to be slimmer everywhere, probably. I suppose this would inolve basically remaking the trousers, but is it possible?

It depends entirely on the tailor. I would not imagine this to be an easy task. It would basically require remaking the trousers entirely, as its not so much that it is hard to adjust the waist, but, arguably, tailoring the rise to match the 4" drop in the waist. As a general rule of thumb, anything more than 2" is going to be difficult, whether it is letting out or taking in. This is truly a game of dominos; tailoring the waist in 4", realigning the rise, adjusting pant length, etc. But I am no tailoring expert, just looking at it logically.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tailor would have to re-cut the pants legs, as previously stated, so that the overall look would be kosher.

You'd have to take it to a real tailor and not an alterations place, and I recall that in the past, members have posted about this and I believe the price range was something like $60-120 to have this alteration. Of course, it depends also on the tailor.

Dan-

Reaction score
This question is somewhat related. My waist is 31-32", but my thighs are about 23" from rugby, so when I tried on every pair of pants this past weekend at Bloomingdales in Chestnut Hill, all the pleats (double and single) pulled open and the flat fronts' pockets stuck out. If I go up to a 34" waist or higher to accomodate my thighs, will it be possible to alter them such that they fit?

What would that cost? How does that compare to some custom job from someone like Mr Ned, considering the price of the pants plus alterations and the higher quality of fabric I'd be able to get?

As for why I did not just try on larger sizes while there, I did not trust the people at the store to help me with a more complicated fitting; the guy was wearing a jacket almost to his knees and tried his best to sell me an Armani suit, telling me long suits were all the rage.

Thanks.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan-
If I go up to a 34" waist or higher to accomodate my thighs, will it be possible to alter them such that they fit?What would that cost?

Taking in around two inches is doable, over that it's dicey and may require a re-cut which is more costly.

tiratela

Reaction score
I took some pants to a tailor that needed to go from 33 to 31. Because I had back pockets, the tailor said that it wasn't going to look good.. I spent $14.00 and had new ones made..

G'Luck..

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan-
This question is somewhat related. My waist is 31-32", but my thighs are about 23" from rugby, so when I tried on every pair of pants this past weekend at Bloomingdales in Chestnut Hill, all the pleats (double and single) pulled open and the flat fronts' pockets stuck out. If I go up to a 34" waist or higher to accomodate my thighs, will it be possible to alter them such that they fit?

What would that cost? How does that compare to some custom job from someone like Mr Ned, considering the price of the pants plus alterations and the higher quality of fabric I'd be able to get?

As for why I did not just try on larger sizes while there, I did not trust the people at the store to help me with a more complicated fitting; the guy was wearing a jacket almost to his knees and tried his best to sell me an Armani suit, telling me long suits were all the rage.

Thanks.

Taking in more than 2" in the waist is iffy. Good RTW pants can be let out in the seat and thighs, but you'd do better with a tailor. If you can afford it, go to Mr Ned.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots

yes it can be done
go to ask andy and use the search. type in trouser alterations.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found it far easier to expand my waist from 32" to 36". In fact, I kept going to 38".
lol8[1].gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiratela
I took some pants to a tailor that needed to go from 33 to 31. Because I had back pockets, the tailor said that it wasn't going to look good.. I spent $14.00 and had new ones made..

G'Luck..

new pockets?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FOR ANY ONE STILL INTERESTED IN THIS.
GO TO THE TUTORIALS AND SCROLL DOWN TO 'MAKING TROUSERS SMALLER'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics