• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think you should try sizing down. IMO, the Andover looks better when sized slightly smaller.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a long while posting some EG, but here's a boring lounge fit from running errands the other day:

gYyBrME.jpg

- Maroon thermal lined hoodie from this season
- Grey Wool Jersey Lined Essex Pants from FW12

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^some serious comfy swag tonio.

Although I posted a fit with it elsewhere on the forum, thought I'd share impressions of my FW12 wool-denim railroader in this thread... Its been getting a hell of a lot of wear since I got it and rapidly become one of my favorite pieces.

I Love the wool-denim, its a pretty unique fabric (though perhaps not to everyone's taste). Its quite rough and hairy stuff. Actually a bit itchy against the skin - I wouldn't want to wear it with just a T-shirt - but it is definitely a bit warmer than ordinary denim. Although the railroader is a proper vintage workwear inspired piece, I feel like the wool-denim fabric and purple-ish navy corduroy accents can help give this version a slightly hippie-'70s vibe, which I dig.

Phone camera pic with large perspex triangle for good measure:

edit: Prurient looking awesome as always!

Last edited:

El QUaG

Reaction score
My new Andover Wool Cashmere jacket just arrived. It is my first EG blazer and I am not sure how it is supposed to fit.

It is my plan to wear it with a shirt and no vest as a casual alternative to suits and I am considering sizing down.
What do you think? It would be good to get your opinion on the fit.

I would recommend wearing it out for a couple of weeks and letting the jacket drape to your body shape. I find the unstructured nature of EG jackets lends itself to fitting better with further wear.

Also to fix up the lapel and how it sits across your chest. I tend to only wear with middle button done up. You could steam the lapel area to adjust the position of roll/fold, or ask your dry cleaner to do this for you. The jacket will want to default to folding towards the top button.

As mentioned above, provided the shoulders fit well (which it seems to), you can always have the sleeves taken up and mid section taken in if it bothers you.

I would also recommend tailoring the functioning sleeve cuffs. The button holes are sewn in, but they need to be opened up and buttons properly sewn into the sleeve. This way, you can roll the sleeves up if and when needed.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, if its wool cashmere it should drape more with wear, but personally I dont think the andover looks as good as other eg jackets when a bit oversized, I think the nature of the andovers cut being narrower in the waist and sleeves make it better looking in a slimmer fit (unless you have a gut which this guy doesnt appear to).

You mentioned not much layers so if I was in your shoes and assuming you could return it, I would try sizing down or exchange for ldt or other jacket instead.

Last edited:

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My new Andover Wool Cashmere jacket just arrived. It is my first EG blazer and I am not sure how it is supposed to fit.

I have a North Wood jacket in the same size which fits me perfectly. But the Andover feels a bit loose and wide. I read an excellent post by @Fycus in an other thread that explained that EG jackets are designed to have more volume in the mid-section.

It is my plan to wear it with a shirt and no vest as a casual alternative to suits and I am considering sizing down.
What do you think? It would be good to get your opinion on the fit.

This is the issue I usually have where by I'm between sizes. I often times have our tailor do a little trimming down of the larger size so that I can layer if so choose to. So, on my recommendations, I would have your tailor take in the side seams up into the arm hole of the shoulder and shorten the sleeves a little.

Bullitt

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the feedback, @about11oclock, @Fycus, @Ken P, @mike868y, @El QUaG, @canstyleace and @drink8648.
Your posts confirmed my vague feeling that the jacket looks alright but might look a bit better if sized down.

I am returning it tomorrow and will try to find an Andover in a smaller size. In London there are only a few stores that carry EG and at this time of the year there is not much left. Let’s see.

There is a photo of a perfect fitting Andover suit I quite like in the EG F/W 2013 thread. The matching trousers are hard to find in the UK unfortunately.

Last edited:

Knight

Reaction score
Been a while since i've been / posted here, so its really nice to see so much inspiration everyone looks brilliant -- hope i can add to it
smile.gif
. I've had these taken recently -- but sadly had no time, or opportunity to post up until now. As always, trying to respect and emulate the positive/negative theme for the season but like all EG it'll get better with age. Happy holidays everyone.

USN jacket olive cavalry twill
Work shirt navy/red cotton plaid
Knit tie grey with blue polka dot
Reversible vest navy with navy floral
Desert pant Navy British cotton sateen

Shoulder cape navy NyCo ripstop
Landsdown jacket navy uniform wool serge [fw12]
Western shirt blue chambray [fw12]
Knit tie grey blue polka dot
Irving pant mixed multi-colour plaid

Coverall jacket brown duck canvas
Long bush shirt red navy plaid heavy twill
USN pant indigo denim [fw12]
Post Overalls cruzer vest olive drab supreme twill
Birkenstock Boston Taupe

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knight, pants in number 2 are just a bit too off for me, though the top half is perfect (lookbook ripoff? :)). and I really like 1 and 3.

Wesley Scott

Reaction score
Really like the use of the long shirt and shoulder cape Knight, looks great. Two pieces I've wanted but don't know if I could make them work.

Today:

EG FW13 Miner Shirt
EG Maroon Zip Hoodie
HW Carters Jacket
Adam Kimmel x Carhartt Pants
New Balance

Knight

Reaction score
Thanks chaps, ken p and Wesley looking good yourself. Wesley is that the EG workaday thermal hoodie you're wearing? How's the weight on that thing? And yes similar look to the lookbook for look /2 it's the cape that gives that Impression. The pants are brave I'll admit but I absolutely love them and will be wearing them a lot too.
Looking good knight and fycus! My contribution:
Engineered Garments F/W 11 Field Parka Barena Torceo Jacket Engineered Garments 19th cent BD Engineered Garments Sample Fatigues L.L. Bean Moc Toe Boots
Really like the use of the long shirt and shoulder cape Knight, looks great. Two pieces I've wanted but don't know if I could make them work. Today: EG FW13 Miner Shirt EG Maroon Zip Hoodie HW Carters Jacket Adam Kimmel x Carhartt Pants New Balance
Like how you pull off the 2 harder items in those fits, never thought I could pull them off myself, cheers!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78