• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder pain from bench?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, started feeling a throbbing pain in my right shoulder during barbell flat benching--even warm-up weight. I stupidly kept going through my routine, and while I was able to finish, I was left with that pain for the next few days. Took ibuprofen, laid off of the bench, and it went away. A friend advised me to work in dumbbell presses instead of barbell (I had only done dumbbell for incline). Did some cursory searching, and it seems that benching with a barbell can cause rotator cuff issues. I've since attempted to incorporate some rotator cuff exercises into my routine, but are there any other suggestions? Is this even the true/likely cause of the pain? I question what I find randomly on the internet.

I tried the flat bench again this week, and did not have any problems--felt some slight pain at one point, but it went away. No pain after. Was slightly weaker, though. I don't want to injure myself, but at the same time, I don't want to give up my flat bench routine.

I do chest only once per 5-7 days, but I do high volumes, eg 7 sets flat barbell, 7 sets incline dumbbell, 4-5 sets weighted dips.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Flat BB bench is a common culprit in shoulder issues. DB presses can help, for example, if you have a shoulder drop ( and who doesn't in some fashion ) it can help compensate for the differing ergonomic need of each joint.

I have a small rear delta injury that flat bench occasionsly nags two years later.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two other things: what's with all that volume? What's the workout methodology? Can almost guarantee you don't need that many sets.
And how are you warming up?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Two other things: what's with all that volume? What's the workout methodology? Can almost guarantee you don't need that many sets.
And how are you warming up?

Powerlifting friend of mine who has had great success has consistently emphasized to me the importance of volume- i.e., do a high volume of exercises for one muscle group spaced out over a longer period of time. I warm up with a series of upper body stretches I hold for 30-45 seconds...have read that 5 min of running, etc., is good to start off with as well, but have not incorporated that into my routine.

For BB flat bench, I do a light warmup set of 8, a heavier set of 8, and then add 20 pounds, do two sets of 5-6, add 20 pounds, do a set of 3-5, take off 20 pounds, do a set of 5-6. Sometimes I'll do an extra set after that if I'm not too tired.

For incline DB press, I do about 3 sets of 8, and then pick up the next weight of DB and do another 3-4 sets of 5-7.

This high volume technique has seemed to work well for me, but I'm open to hearing alternatives.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you doing for your back? An imbalance of work front/back can cause problems. Based off of your chest workout, the back day should be like 7 sets power clean (or something), 7 sets Bent/pendelay/bench Rows, 4-5 sets weighted chins.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
What are you doing for your back? An imbalance of work front/back can cause problems. Based off of your chest workout, the back day should be like 7 sets power clean (or something), 7 sets Bent/pendelay/bench Rows, 4-5 sets weighted chins.

Back is 7 sets db rows, 5 sets bent over rows, then pull ups. I think I did used to have an imbalance, but have been working on it.

asdf

Reaction score
Floor press FTW

Also, you could consider ditching the dips if you think they might be an issue, as they are for some people including myself.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many reps per set? Are you built like your powerlifter friend or an average guy?

Powerlifters I know and routines they do might go 5-8 sets... but only 2-3 heavy reps each set.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The only thing I get from a bench is ass pain from sitting on it too long. Are you one of them homeless people who sleep on said bench?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
How many reps per set? Are you built like your powerlifter friend or an average guy?

Powerlifters I know and routines they do might go 5-8 sets... but only 2-3 heavy reps each set.

Reps on lighter weight are 7-8, heavier is 3-5.

I'm built somewhere in between, I'd suppose.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skitlets
Simple question. Is your form correct?

I go to great trouble to pay attention to form, so I certainly would hope that it is. However, I suppose there's always the possibility that I'm doing something incorrectly.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M - I've had this issue for some time now and it's basically limited me in how heavy I can go.

blackwar12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Use dumbbells. I don't even bother with the bar's any more.
Any tips on how to actually get them off the ground? Getting anything 50 pounds or higher is a pain for me...which sucks considering that doing 50 pounds with dumbbells is like benching with only 25-30 pound weights on each side
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads