• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder pain from bench?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
It's not so much as using or not using a particular joint or muscle group but which one initiates the movement and gets loaded with more tension. Just something for OP to try in case it helps his shoulders.

--Andre

Originally Posted by TrH
Dave Tate has a nice Youtube vid on bench press technique. What you basically want to do is to tuck your elbows in and not flare them out (like a lot of BB's do) - that way your shoulders wont get hit as much. You should also concentrate on actively pulling your shoulder blades back and keeping your chest high throughout the movement.

Another thing you might want to think about is strengthening the serratus anterior. That little sucker stabilizes your shoulder girdle on pressing movements (IIRC), which is pretty vital especially while benching.

Thanks guys, will try this out as well. I'm not sure if this makes a difference either, but this happened when I reached the peak of my strength/ability--it might be a sign that it's unsustainable? We shall see.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heavier you go, the more small things will affect your lifting and recovery. A heavier load will aggravate any structural inefficiencies or technical weaknesses.

Then again, if the pain went away and you haven't had any problems since, maybe it just was a one-off thing. The main point is to just be aware of shoulder health w.r.t. pressing movements. That way you can hopefully prevent most injuries and should they happen you know how to work around them.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tate's style is a power-lifting style. It has it's place- it's not a straight replacement for the other way but for the average guy it probably doesn't matter much.

Lemon- are you rolling your shoulder blades back underneath you when you lift? Should be.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Tate's style is a power-lifting style. It has it's place- it's not a straight replacement for the other way but for the average guy it probably doesn't matter much.

Lemon- are you rolling your shoulder blades back underneath you when you lift? Should be.

Next time I bench I will make sure to concentrate on that. I believe I have been doing that.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys- appreciate it.

markhazel

Reaction score
I understand. I went away with a horrible year last year. The first thing to do is get off the bench and see the orthopedic doctor for my shoulder. He is part of the test series, and probably take X-rays will help identify the exact nature of the lesion. It is easy to misdiagnose a shoulder injury and is likely to achieve a variety of solutions always on in the rest of cortisone injections or surgery. So before you find a good doctor and find out what is wrong with the shoulder.

Becks23

Reaction score
Classic shoulder impingement?

Do stuff like face-pulls, Turkish get-ups, renegade rows or google "shoulder impingement exercises".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads