1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

should tie be seen or not - see images

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by masterphotog, Jan 16, 2013.

1. masterphotog

masterphotog Well-Known Member

Just curious whether the tie should 'peek' through at the bottom of a waistcoat or should it be concealed and just be seen above?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Personally, I prefer the second shot. In the first shot it looks like the tie is too long.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I remember the last time you posted such questions; I gotta say, as far as "does this look good" threads, your pictures are second to none.

The vest and pants are fantastic (though the pocket is gaping), and the tie probably goes well with them, but I'm really not feeling that shirt. And the second image looks better.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. eluther

eluther Senior member

The tie's tip should rest at your belt line. So, no, you shouldn't see the tie.

5. hairlow

hairlow Member

Looks cleaner without the tip showing

6. BeantownMac

BeantownMac New Member

Agree: no tie at bottom looks better.

7. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

Without, Bottom button left undone, perfect match with pants and its a good 4 pocket, lapel 5-button waistcoat.

The only issues are
    1. slight ruffling on the midriff, you could have it 'taken in a bit'
    2. Lapels ... difficult to wear it as a 3-piece (2 lots of lapels would clash)

8. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

With or without a vest, the tie is noticeably too long in the first picture. Look at how far past his belt line it is. The fact that you can see it past his vest is the secondary issue.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

agree with these.

11. Hacking jacket

Got admit good 'traditional' blend/ match of colour: tie, pants, vest and shirt.

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i think the shirt is a bit dark/busy for the look, but the colors i like.

13. Hacking jacket

It is a bit, but I think the fitting of the shirt is the main issue. The shirt sleeve is fractionally too long and particularly there is a lot of ruffling around the arm socket area. Part of this is a result of the waistcoat (vest?) which exacerbates a slightly oversized shirt: the shirt may be too broad causing it to 'hang off' the shoulders.

However, getting a shirt fitted on the 'yoke' can be hard. I've had a bespoke shirt under-construction for the past year (literally) and is still not finished: it is the fitting around the arm socket area that I'm now really picky about and keep returning it for further alteration. I can be picky because I'm a long term customer and of course bespoke by a London shirtmaker is $$$$

My shirt maker (London) dresses movie stars in shirts for historical movies, "The Iron Lady" was one such film and "Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy" was another other.

Having said all that, I really dig this guys look. Its like a quintessential British 'tweed look', without tweeds. 'I am a decent and trustworthy guy' type statement, translation into UK English 'I am a gentleman'. His attention to small detail (tie) is part of the look.

1 person likes this.
  14. scotchman

scotchman Well-Known Member

Very nice look, but tie is too long and never should show through a vest that fits properly.

15. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Regarding the shirt. I actually don't hate it (even though it's an eyesore in and of itself): the stripes go well with the rest of the outfit, and so does its greyness. Replace it with a somewhat more discreetly-striped shirt and you've got yourself a winner.

(Also: you look cool as feck! :slayer::slayer::slayer:)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  16. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

I feel like there is a joke about "just the tip" in here somewhere.