• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

should tie be seen or not - see images

masterphotog

Reaction score
Just curious whether the tie should 'peek' through at the bottom of a waistcoat or should it be concealed and just be seen above?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the second shot. In the first shot it looks like the tie is too long.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I remember the last time you posted such questions; I gotta say, as far as "does this look good" threads, your pictures are second to none.

The vest and pants are fantastic (though the pocket is gaping), and the tie probably goes well with them, but I'm really not feeling that shirt. And the second image looks better.

Last edited:

eluther

Reaction score
The tie's tip should rest at your belt line. So, no, you shouldn't see the tie.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
Without, Bottom button left undone, perfect match with pants and its a good 4 pocket, lapel 5-button waistcoat.

The only issues are
1. slight ruffling on the midriff, you could have it 'taken in a bit'
2. Lapels ... difficult to wear it as a 3-piece (2 lots of lapels would clash)

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With or without a vest, the tie is noticeably too long in the first picture. Look at how far past his belt line it is. The fact that you can see it past his vest is the secondary issue.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got admit good 'traditional' blend/ match of colour: tie, pants, vest and shirt.

i think the shirt is a bit dark/busy for the look, but the colors i like.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
i think the shirt is a bit dark/busy for the look, but the colors i like.
It is a bit, but I think the fitting of the shirt is the main issue. The shirt sleeve is fractionally too long and particularly there is a lot of ruffling around the arm socket area. Part of this is a result of the waistcoat (vest?) which exacerbates a slightly oversized shirt: the shirt may be too broad causing it to 'hang off' the shoulders.

However, getting a shirt fitted on the 'yoke' can be hard. I've had a bespoke shirt under-construction for the past year (literally) and is still not finished: it is the fitting around the arm socket area that I'm now really picky about and keep returning it for further alteration. I can be picky because I'm a long term customer and of course bespoke by a London shirtmaker is $$$$

My shirt maker (London) dresses movie stars in shirts for historical movies, "The Iron Lady" was one such film and "Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy" was another other.

Having said all that, I really dig this guys look. Its like a quintessential British 'tweed look', without tweeds. 'I am a decent and trustworthy guy' type statement, translation into UK English 'I am a gentleman'. His attention to small detail (tie) is part of the look.

Ivar

Reaction score
Regarding the shirt. I actually don't hate it (even though it's an eyesore in and of itself): the stripes go well with the rest of the outfit, and so does its greyness. Replace it with a somewhat more discreetly-striped shirt and you've got yourself a winner.

(Also: you look cool as feck! :slayer::slayer::slayer:)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads