• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I sell off my suit and shoe collection to fund my watch obsession?

Patek14

Reaction score
Important honest advice - Absolutely not.

Used clothes and shoes sell for pennies on the dollar. Some of those items you mentioned should have the ability to outlive you if rotated.

Simply put if you need to sell a LOT of your possessions for pennies on the dollar to afford a watch on a whim, you are trying to buy something out of your means.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The boots are 8D on the Grant last. I should have sized up to the 8.5 so they fit me a bit too snug for regular use and as such they are in mint condition!

Which Grand Seiko models would you say are better? In terms of performance, aesthetic, resale value? If I went the Grand Seiko route I would only consider spring drive models.

Their Hi-Beat lineup is way better in all aspects. 36,000bph>everything haha.

I'm a size 8... >.>

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their Hi-Beat lineup is way better in all aspects. 36,000bph>everything haha.

I'm a size 8... >.>

Well you’re in luck because the boots are now up. As for hi-beat, I love them. But the frequency and cost of service is a deal breaker for me. The Spring Drive by definition has much less friction and should last considerably longer between services, despite Seiko recommendations...

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Joe Schmoe excellent post. I am saving up for my IWC Mark and hopefully it has the same result for me as you're Submariner.

The Mark XVIII? That’s a great looking watch, and was high up on my list before narrowing down to the two in the op... may still check that one out as I haven’t seen any of these in person yet.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but I rarely wear most of what I’m selling, so I see it as a means of accelerating my purchase to some degree. And some of what I’m selling just doesn’t fit well.

I would think about these as separate issues. 1. Sell the clothing that you don’t wear or doesn’t fit because it isn’t useful to you. 2. If you have enough money that it is a reasonable purchase, buy the watch you want.

DrizztD

Reaction score
If the things do not fit/suit you, i would sell them regardless of whether you're buying a watch.

Keeping them around just doesn't make sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads