• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

MeatFish

Reaction score
Complicating factor: I already have a pair of Lobb Lopez in museum brown.

LHS really are the do-it-all shoe. I have pairs in both suede and shell, and I’d probably be good if all of my other shoes just disappeared.
Look great with denim, suiting, baggies, rolled up jammies, etc.
That said, buy the LHS but keep the Lobbs. Can never have to many loagers.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LHS is peak loager. Kyle has the BB unlined, not 986. I wear mine with jeans all the time. 987s with black jeans, unlined suede with ratty old jeans, just like, don't over think it. Whatever works.

Beep also wear his 986 super casually. It's a big ass loager who cares

I'm not sure if I would got #8 or black. I'm back and forth between them. I have a pair of burgundy Lobb wingtips and, as I said, my Lopez's are museum brown, which is not burgundy but also not far off. I'm also offloading some black loafers to fund these, so there would be a gap in that category.

How do the unlined variety (986, 987) fit? I'm seeing go Barrie size, but I'm also seeing that the cordovan LHS appear to fit larger.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would only advise against it if you are 8.5 cuz ive been eyeing a pair on the bay for some time now

Don't worry - I'm working with skis over here.

Woah are the Lobbs really $1,400? Wow. That’s some serious loager money

Yea, Lobb just upped their prices by a couple hundred to attain an even stupider level of expensive than they already occupied. They're status shoes.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern color 8's purple shade can be paired with black, blue, and brown so that's sick. I have a vintage pair that's brown deep brown, and then another pair of modern purpley ones on the way.

I take the same size in all of them, the shell being just a bit more stiff. Barrie size is fine.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
204DAF66-5DFB-42DD-B013-8F042FEF973C.gif

emptym

Reaction score
Yep, I love Alden's LHS. I only have the unlined models though:
IMG_5954.jpeg

Imo, they're the most versatile shoe I own. Before covid, I might have worn a pair 5 days of the week. Weekdays, I'd wear them with a sport coat and tie, but on weekends, I sometimes wear them with jeans and a sweatshirt or sweater. They can go more formal, with a suit or barong, or more casual, with shorts. It's a shame that BB stopped carrying the unlined shell versions. If I owned a store, I'd try to get that contract. I haven't tried the lined versions, but I would think the difference wouldn't be that great. I have a pair of lined shell AE Patriots, and they're not a lot stiffer than the unlined LHSs.

I don't own the Lobb Lopez, but I tried them on once while wearing a shell LHS and thought the Lobbs looked badly proportioned in comparison. Here's a pic I took comparing them to some other commonly recommended penny loafers, LtR: EG Piccadilly, BB LHS, C&J Boston, AE Patriot:
IMG_8499.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I would got #8 or black. I'm back and forth between them. I have a pair of burgundy Lobb wingtips and, as I said, my Lopez's are museum brown, which is not burgundy but also not far off. I'm also offloading some black loafers to fund these, so there would be a gap in that category.

How do the unlined variety (986, 987) fit? I'm seeing go Barrie size, but I'm also seeing that the cordovan LHS appear to fit larger.

I have the lined shell cordovan version. I took a size 8.5D. I'm a 9D on the Brannock.

I like black loafers, but think this specific shoe prob works better in brown.

emptym

Reaction score
Oops, sorry, I missed the sizing question. On the Brannock, I'm 9.75 D/E for right foot, 10.25 C/D for left. I'm a 9 in most UK shoes, 10D in AE, 10C or 9.5D in Alden's Hampton or Van. 9.5 D is ideal for sockless.

I'd go with #8 and then black if you enjoy #8.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads