• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden Cordovan LHS loafers.
  • I will only wear casually and wonder if I will therefore actually wear these.
  • I am also concerned about upkeep, given what I understand about water stains, etc.
  • I also feel scratches are more noticeable on cordovan, but maybe that's just my perception.
  • Finally, I am tired of breaking in shoes, as it is a miserable process, and it doesn't seem these would break in all that easily.
So, why do I want these?

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • I am also concerned about upkeep, given what I understand about water stains, etc.
  • I also feel scratches are more noticeable on cordovan, but maybe that's just my perception.
  • Finally, I am tired of breaking in shoes, as it is a miserable process, and it doesn't seem these would break in all that easily.
So, why do I want these?

You don’t. Pass. FWIW, shell is easy to take care of and I have never encountered water stains.

Regarding shoes with break in periods. I have always wondered about complaints about this on SF. My solution is only to buy footwear that fits comfortably out of the box. Are you a difficult fit?

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding shoes with break in periods. I have always wondered about complaints about this on SF. My solution is only to buy footwear that fits comfortably out of the box. Are you a difficult fit?
Yes. Narrow, bony feet with low arches. It would be nice to have that perfect fit some day, but I'm not holding my breath.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, why do I want these?

Kyle at NMWA wears those with pretty casual fits. I also like mine, but mostly wear them with sport coats.

I think they're nice. Especially if you want a more casual loafer you can wear in the autumn. Shell has a visual heft to it that I think makes it pair well with fall clothes.

Shell can spot easily with water, but you're probably not wearing those in the rain. Scatches can be taken care of with just a bit of polishing and buffing (like any other smooth leather shoe, although you don't want to add too much polish to shell, as it becomes matte). Regarding break-in, I find shell to be softer than some calfskins. It's pretty pliable.

That specific model, I think, is one of @emptym's favorite shoes. I believe he likes them for their versatility.

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kyle at NMWA wears those with pretty casual fits. I also like mine, but mostly wear them with sport coats.

I think they're nice. Especially if you want a more casual loafer you can wear in the autumn. Shell has a visual heft to it that I think makes it pair well with fall clothes.

Shell can spot easily with water, but you're probably not wearing those in the rain. Scatches can be taken care of with just a bit of polishing and buffing (like any other smooth leather shoe, although you don't want to add too much polish to shell, as it becomes matte). Regarding break-in, I find shell to be softer than some calfskins. It's pretty pliable.

That specific model, I think, is one of @emptym's favorite shoes. I believe he likes them for their versatility.

I can dig it.

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LHS is peak loager. Kyle has the BB unlined, not 986. I wear mine with jeans all the time. 987s with black jeans, unlined suede with ratty old jeans, just like, don't over think it. Whatever works.

Beep also wear his 986 super casually. It's a big ass loager who cares

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the Brooks Brothers version just the standard Alden version, but unlined?
Yeah, just clarifying. I think some folks would consider unlined to be more casual, perhaps.

Also, meatfish wears lhs with casual suits and always looks like a mf snack

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been a member of styleforum for almost nine years, with a few years of lurking before then. I've met dozens of members irl. I've read all kinds of threads about pedantic CM fluffery, and plenty of SW&D high fashion nonsense. But I'm not sure I've ever seen a take as insane as Lopez is so much better than LHS.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.