• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't afford to throw away ties like that, where would I put my silk tie if not around my neck? I'm not about to stuff it in my pocket like a hankie and I decide to travel lightly so I don't have a bag. So then, where should my tie go?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is marsupialed I'm not fighting this battle

Xenox go wear a tie and untucked shirt you hipster douche

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Xenox, man, I'm not being an abrasive dick here, but you are just too short to wear men's clothes, at 5'2". Guys at 5'4" can maybe start thinking about it but will have trouble, guys at 5'5"-5'6" start getting into XS, but 5'2 dude, you should make a beeline for MTM stuff and live with the fact that you aren't gonna find men's knits and a lot of other unadjustable type clothing that fits you. This is the same thing that guys over 6'3" or so have to live with, so you are by no means alone.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I can't afford to throw away ties like that, where would I put my silk tie if not around my neck? I'm not about to stuff it in my pocket like a hankie and I decide to travel lightly so I don't have a bag. So then, where should my tie go?

then keep your ******* shirt tucked in or don't wear a tie at all

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Xenox, man, I'm not being an abrasive dick here, but you are just too short to wear men's clothes, at 5'2". Guys at 5'4" can maybe start thinking about it but will have trouble, guys at 5'5"-5'6" start getting into XS, but 5'2 dude, you should make a beeline for MTM stuff and live with the fact that you aren't gonna find men's knits and a lot of other unadjustable type clothing that fits you. This is the same thing that guys over 6'3" or so have to live with, so you are by no means alone.
So knits aren't adjustable, good to know, I agree with you that much of mens clothing is too big for me, but I have had some luck, a size 44 geller knit I bought fits me pretty nicely, I also have a viridi anne shirt in size 1 that fits snug and is just the right length, nom de geurre small is also surprisingly good fitting. Asian guys are only a little taller than me so I'm sure by proxying I can find some clothes that would fit this demo, though it does take some searching.
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
then keep your ******* shirt tucked in or don't wear a tie at all
Work requires me to wear a tie and tucked in shirts are uncomfortable as ****, so what do I do now? I hope someone understands what I'm getting at here, it is perfectly logical for someone to wear a tie and untuck their shirt, if that makes them a hipster douche I think that says more about prejudice than it does about the person, whats wrong with loosening up work attire or walking the line of casual and dressy? If someone's got a good eye for style I don't see why these silly rules need apply, after all rules are made to be broken and who better to break them than the most fashion conscious?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dunno, i think the rick leather falls into the so hideous it's beautiful territory.

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
That RO ******* sucks.

The green OC jacket with the zip apart lapels ******* sucks.

Marc by Marc Jacobs ******* sucks.

Paraboots ******* suck.

Untucked shirts with ties ******* suck.

life sucks, i hate everything, bye bye.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a personal pet peeve of mine, but I'm sure most will agree that:

Dress shirts have long tails, which are meant to be tucked and look wrong when untucked
and
Visually, a tie should extend just past the point where the shirt ends

so, tie or no tie, dress shirts shouldn't be worn untucked, and even with shorter shirts, a tie just looks out of place when there are a few inches of shirt material beyond it.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
dont wear a tie without a sportcoat/suit jacket, period

Seriously? Even if it's a casual shirt with a casual tie, e.g., a knit tie? I do this occasionally with my casual shirts b/c it's awkward sometimes to wear a sport coat.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
This is a personal pet peeve of mine, but I'm sure most will agree that:

Dress shirts have long tails, which are meant to be tucked and look wrong when untucked
and
Visually, a tie should extend just past the point where the shirt ends

so, tie or no tie, dress shirts shouldn't be worn untucked, and even with shorter shirts, a tie just looks out of place when there are a few inches of shirt material beyond it.

a tie should end where the shirt ends. So the tip is right where the shirt and pants meet.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Seriously? Even if it's a casual shirt with a casual tie, e.g., a knit tie? I do this occasionally with my casual shirts b/c it's awkward sometimes to wear a sport coat.

well i mean if you wear a tie you need to button the shirt all the way up, which is uncomfortable, and then adding the tie is even more uncomfortable, so its hard to look casual that way

and if you dont button the shirt all the way up and wear the tie loose its just obvious accessorizing... and the tie has to be one of the most unwieldy accessories of all time--gets in the way of eating, drinking, and pretty much anything that involves your body bending down

so if i wanted to look more "formal" than business casual, i would first add a sportcoat, and then a tie if i wanted to be more formal

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Work requires me to wear a tie and tucked in shirts are uncomfortable as ****, so what do I do now? I hope someone understands what I'm getting at here, it is perfectly logical for someone to wear a tie and untuck their shirt, if that makes them a hipster douche I think that says more about prejudice than it does about the person, whats wrong with loosening up work attire or walking the line of casual and dressy? If someone's got a good eye for style I don't see why these silly rules need apply, after all rules are made to be broken and who better to break them than the most fashion conscious?
i don't see much wrong with untucking the shirt if it's not extra long jeans+sport coat+loose tie, nothing wrong there though it's pretty overdone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads