• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How so? Lazier that not wearing one? And even if it does, is that a bad thing?

I mean, I can see in MC, but in Streetwear & ... ?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I agree with the untucked shirt w/ tie bit, but seriously, folks, the whole you-have-to-wear-a-jacket-if-you-wear-a-tie thing... can you say "anal"?
Call it anal if you want, it almost always looks like garbage. It looks like garbage. It looks affected. It's the go-to uniform for little Johnny on Easter Sunday or Steve from Accounting on casual day. Part of the problem is that almost all people wear shirts that are too large for them so the shirt blouses and looks like **** in general. Why you would try to fight for such a look is baffling. Get a perfectly fitted MMM or Dior shirt and the best tie imaginable. It will still look stupid.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I'm not really considering this, I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard of Taniel Pogharian.

TPOG-MO2_V2-BIG.jpg

This is very nice, almost robe like, I say yes.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
when i see guys with ties i think people who are trying too hard. please, continue to try too hard!

thats right, you think. i remember a while back when impolyt said somewhere that americans have to have everything just so, like its gotta be a uniform. like, if this then that, but if that then this. you can only wear a tie with ____ or when you are ___ or otherwise you look ___. you sound so ******* anal. like i said, i'd agree that a tie needs a tucked in shirt, but thats about it. and ppllzz ive seen some of the pics of **** youve posted on here so your opinion is taken very lightly. you of all people should not talk about other people trying too hard

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I don't mind wearing a tie at all besides a lot of jobs require them.
Few jobs truly worth having today require a tie any longer. What year is it where you live, 1975? In an office environment the tie represents your employer's attempt to use clothing as a means to force conformity and to civilize you into behaving in a prescribed manner. It is the adult equivalent of a kid's school uniform. Ever read any of the studies where they forced office workers to wear ties vs. not and then observed how the two groups behaved differently? In my opinion, the only valid reason for an employer to insist on such a uniform is when employees have to face customers whom expect to see it. But in most other cases, it is simply a sign that your employer largely views you as another "resource" to be "managed". And this type of belief will likely reveal itself in other ways the company relates to their employees that go far beyond a simple tie. But if you enjoy a soul crushing experience, or simply have $$$ in your eyes, then this environment may be for you.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Call it anal if you want, it almost always looks like garbage. It looks like garbage. It looks affected. It's the go-to uniform for little Johnny on Easter Sunday or Steve from Accounting on casual day. Part of the problem is that almost all people wear shirts that are too large for them so the shirt blouses and looks like **** in general.

Why you would try to fight for such a look is baffling. Get a perfectly fitted MMM or Dior shirt and the best tie imaginable. It will still look stupid.

But I don't wear shirts that are too large or blousy. While I can't say they're "pefectly fitted," they fit slim. I'm not fighting for such a look because I do it anyway. Nothing you've said convinces me it looks stupid--I think it's probably stupider to wear a jacket over a shirt and tie when that might look inappropriate for the situation.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Few jobs truly worth having today require a tie any longer. What year is it where you live, 1975?

In an office environment the tie represents your employer's attempt to use clothing as a means to force conformity and to civilize you into behaving in a prescribed manner. It is the adult equivalent of a kid's school uniform. Ever read any of the studies where they forced office workers to wear ties vs. not and then observed how the two groups behaved differently?

In my opinion, the only valid reason for an employer to insist on such a uniform is when employees have to face customers whom expect to see it. But in most other cases, it is simply a sign that your employer largely views you as another "resource" to be "managed". And this type of belief will likely reveal itself in other ways the company relates to their employees that go far beyond a simple tie. But if you enjoy a soul crushing experience, or simply have $$$ in your eyes, then this environment may be for you.

I had to wear a tie every day in the early 1990s when I was a clerk in a large university hospital. I had to deal with the public, i.e., clinic patients, as well as docs every day, so that was management's justification. When you're forced to wear a tie every day, it definitely tics ya off. And most of the clerks looked terrible--talking dirty old clip-on ties.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB1 I disagree, professionalism should be reflected in what you wear, customers or not. I think uniform is good in that it makes a distinct line between work and play, people who wear their leisure gear at work generally speaking have a similar attitude towards their work, to say it is just clothes is contradictory to the notion that clothes are about self expression and if they are truly just clothes then there's no issue with wearing what your boss wants you to. As for being another resource to be managed, that is the essence of most work, you are to become a cog in the machine of varying size for monetary reward, sometimes you are a bigger cog, other times you aren't, sometimes you can talk to the driver and even work with him, other times you can't, ultimately though part of working in modern society is accepting the fact that you have to be someone's ***** to some degree, which means yes, you may need to wear a tie to work.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Interesting that there are differing opinions about this.

Every time I now choose to wear a tie (or gasp, esp a jacket with a tie), everybody at work wants to know "what's going on," e.g., "Is there a VIP coming today?", "Are you interviewing for another job?", "Where are you going today?" etc.

It freaks them out. Some times I do it just to freak them out.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Few jobs truly worth having today require a tie any longer. What year is it where you live, 1975? In an office environment the tie represents your employer's attempt to use clothing as a means to force conformity and to civilize you into behaving in a prescribed manner. It is the adult equivalent of a kid's school uniform. Ever read any of the studies where they forced office workers to wear ties vs. not and then observed how the two groups behaved differently? In my opinion, the only valid reason for an employer to insist on such a uniform is when employees have to face customers whom expect to see it. But in most other cases, it is simply a sign that your employer largely views you as another "resource" to be "managed". And this type of belief will likely reveal itself in other ways the company relates to their employees that go far beyond a simple tie. But if you enjoy a soul crushing experience, or simply have $$$ in your eyes, then this environment may be for you.
@BB1

In my future job I will be wearing a tie with suit or odd coat and trousers every day.

Wouldn't be any other way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads