• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
do you think you need it? how often will you wear it? what can you pair it with? these are the questions you should ask yourself. as for the geos themselves, i don't think they're necessarily a bad purchase, but tbh, i feel like you'll end up with buyer's remorse at the end of the day.

myshoeiswet

Reaction score
Jesus.
crazy.gif

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i did not need to see that. i was happier when i did not see that, @myshoeiswet. stop making me more jaded.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

do you think you need it? how often will you wear it? what can you pair it with? these are the questions you should ask yourself. as for the geos themselves, i don't think they're necessarily a bad purchase, but tbh, i feel like you'll end up with buyer's remorse at the end of the day.

Yeah, these are always the questions at hand.

- Do I need them? Hell no. I feel pretty comfortable saying I don't need anything else at this point (barring some sort of business or formal thing where I can't cobble something together).

- What can I pair them with? This is actually a pretty easy one. To some extent they're just sneakers, so I can wear them with a lot of things I'd wear sneakers with as long as I recognize that they're about as chunky and extreme as sneakers get. Tucking black or grey jeans with a slim leg opening (19 cm, Big John tapered fit, &c.) is pretty straightforward provided I've got a looser tee or tank to balance them out (probably a leather jacket when it's cold enough). I also have a pair or two of pants I could crop below the knee that I think would work. Just about any sweats with at least some level of drop to the crotch would be fine, either cropped or just tapered enough to tuck. The main thing I'm not sure of is whether they'd work without a tuck with black or grey jeans that have a wider leg opening. I think I'd have to try them on in order to figure that out.

- How often will I wear them? That's the crux of the matter and frankly, I don't know. Sometimes it's hard to tell which shoes I'm going to reach for most often and which ones are going to sit unworn most of the time. All the time because I think they're awesome? Less of the time because I'd have to put more thought and effort into what I'm going to wear with them? I'm really not sure.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
what seems to be the easiest thing to pair is sometimes the hardest thing to pair well.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imo Geos are pretty hard to wear without looking stupid. They're just too conspicuous to be thrown together with anything. But something to consider is if you get them on deep enough sale you can resell them for what you paid for.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

what seems to be the easiest thing to pair is sometimes the hardest thing to pair well.

To be fair, though, do I really pair much of anything well? Half the time I'm wearing LVC 501s with Guidi back-zips.

imo Geos are pretty hard to wear without looking stupid. They're just too conspicuous to be thrown together with anything. But something to consider is if you get them on deep enough sale you can resell them for what you paid for.

I kind of hate reselling.

Anyway, I think I talked myself out of them, or at least the murdered-out ones. I might still consider black with white sole or black & white paneled, but I don't think all-black is the way to go on these.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

To be fair, though, do I really pair much of anything well? Half the time I'm wearing LVC 501s with Guidi back-zips.

damn son, don't be more of a negative nancy than me.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
geos are pretty comfy to wear and you can wear them in place of black timbs in most outfits, but I find they're so played out and ubiquitous that I can't look at them anymore (in real life and on internet). maybe if they were all white and you got them really dirty

so what does broken paper mache look like? I have the old painted GATs and am fine with the cracked paint there, but paper might be different; plus they're boots

scanner

Reaction score
Murdered out Geo's are the only way to go unless you can find some blistered, but Geos and most Rick footwear end up looking like snowboarding boots on me. I as well can't take them seriously anymore and I don't think they're comfortable at all.

I tried out the Paper Mache Gats recently and think they look really cool but the flakes were just too much for me and you won't be able to actually see much of the leather underneath because the paper is literally glued onto the leather. Some of the interior felt like canvas so i'm not even sure there is that much leather underneath. They are also extremely stiff (think CCP) so I can't imagine the boots will be any comfortable.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black derbies, once again:

Church's Shannon. These fit wide feet and have the best overall shape, but I've read the quality is so-so and the leather they use looks like plastic and is too shiny:

Alden chromexcel bluchers. I kept staring at these but just don't like the narrow toe:

Yoox roulette Anns, no details, just these two pictures:

Heschung Crocus. Good shape, slightly too pointed. Don't really mind the contrast stitching. But the quarters? look a little too close together:

Tricker's Woodstock. Shape from top is fine, though the heel looks kinda heavy from the side. There's another piece of leather and stitching at the heel so doesn't look as clean. Also can't find any on sale and would be the most expensive:

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Leeds model

Edit:
Looks like they have model 2.0 now, looks good

I've went through like 3+ pairs of Raf derbies, good'ole AE is just right IMO. I think I may jump on a pair, too since I've been looking for a blucher to wear with my new leather.

Last edited:

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, good rec. The reviews for the 2.0 look kind of scary though, lots of complaints about QC. I wish I can find another pair of Rafs cuz the shape was perfect.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah the QC seems really bad but AE has a pretty good CS, and the point I was making is that I had a pair of AE (second hand as well) and after all the Raf derby I've gone through it has not compared to the Leeds model. I think some people were saying that the Raf derby fits weird on the foot and cause odd creases to mid and forefoot. Honestly, I would just go with a trusted shoemaker like Vass, which I am also trying to research. Although, Raf derbiy are made by an English shoemaker. Forgot the name...Churchs? Time and time again in the end i just think the shape of the Raf derby looks like a blob on foot. Even the AE Leeds model on the more rounded last looks more sleek.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronald234