Should I have bought it for the president, teh coffee?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by patrickBOOTH, May 25, 2011.

1. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

This morning I was in the cafeteria at work and the president of the company was behind me. We exchanged small chit chat and he said to me, "when I grow up I want to be as sharply dressed as you." Of course I was flattered, but I had to correct him, "I'm wearing a one-button peak lapel suit, NOT CBD."

Joking, I didn't really say that, but I thanked him for the compliment and I paid for my breakfast and said my goodbyes. As I am walking away I am thinking to myself, should I have bought him his coffee? Would that have been a good move, or a kind of lame one? What do you think?

If you wanted to do so, you shouldnt just offer like that 'Say, Bob, can I pay for your joe since I am paying for my pancakes and waffles?' Mr President would likely decline.

You should have recommended him something good and graciously offered to pay.

Not only does it show you are a man of knowledge, you are a man of taste (he already knows, from your clothes) and a classy guy to boot.

Of course no matter what, you would be viewed as a suck up and brown noser.

2. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

you did the right thing.

i would feel insulted if someone (not my senior) bought me a drink or whatever if we don't have a close relationship (ie. working pretty close together).

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This morning to make up for it I had a coffee and flowers with a card sent to his office from me. [​IMG]

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

This morning to make up for it I had a coffee and flowers with a card(offering a reach-around) sent to his office from me. [​IMG]

ftfy

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

This morning to make up for it I had a coffee and flowers with a card sent to his office from me. [​IMG]

I hope you included a WAYWT "lifestyle" pic as well

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

It wouldn't even cross my mind to buy him coffee in this scenario. Don't worry about it.
    This.

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The answer to this question is not black and white, yes or no. It all depends on your relationship with the boss.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Yes, he knows me. I give him presentations and such.

No need to buy him coffee then. He would've appreciated it if you hiked up your skirt just a tad though.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

you did the right thing.
    i would feel insulted if someone (not my senior) bought me a drink or whatever if we don't have a close relationship (ie. working pretty close together).

Yup - actually even if we are; unless I did that person some minor favour which would commonly be repaid with coffee, I would not want someone junior to me picking up the tab for anything.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hope you included a WAYWT "lifestyle" pic as well

A link. [​IMG]

11. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

Totally not necessary, patrick. Just do a good job, and impress him with quality presentations. That in itself should be worth a thousand and one cups of cafeteria robusta.

12. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

You should've removed your one-button suit and presented it to him while genuflecting and flagellating yourself with your belt.

13. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

You should've removed your one-button suit and presented it to him while genuflecting and flagellating yourself with your belt.

Bonus points if you're wearing a hairshirt underneath it!

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

that cheapskate shouldve paid for yours. [​IMG]

The CEO of my last company used to sit outside and smoke a cigar all the time. Id occasionally be out with a buddy on a smoke break. I had a great selection of cigars in my humidor so I brought him one of my favorites...a nicely aged cuban cohiba esplindito...he took it, and a few days later came to my desk and thanked me with a small box of Rocky Patels. VERY nice gesture on his part.

about a month later my department closed and I was out of work.

15. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

that cheapskate shouldve paid for yours. [​IMG]

The CEO of my last company used to sit outside and smoke a cigar all the time. Id occasionally be out with a buddy on a smoke break. I had a great selection of cigars in my humidor so I brought him one of my favorites...a nicely aged cuban cohiba esplindito...he took it, and a few days later came to my desk and thanked me with a small box of Rocky Patels. VERY nice gesture on his part.

about a month later my department closed and I was out of work.

he knew it was coming