• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I have bought it for the president, teh coffee?

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This morning I was in the cafeteria at work and the president of the company was behind me. We exchanged small chit chat and he said to me, "when I grow up I want to be as sharply dressed as you." Of course I was flattered, but I had to correct him, "I'm wearing a one-button peak lapel suit, NOT conservative business dress."

Joking, I didn't really say that, but I thanked him for the compliment and I paid for my breakfast and said my goodbyes. As I am walking away I am thinking to myself, should I have bought him his coffee? Would that have been a good move, or a kind of lame one? What do you think?

If you wanted to do so, you shouldnt just offer like that 'Say, Bob, can I pay for your joe since I am paying for my pancakes and waffles?' Mr President would likely decline.

You should have recommended him something good and graciously offered to pay.

Not only does it show you are a man of knowledge, you are a man of taste (he already knows, from your clothes) and a classy guy to boot.

Of course no matter what, you would be viewed as a suck up and brown noser.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you did the right thing.

i would feel insulted if someone (not my senior) bought me a drink or whatever if we don't have a close relationship (ie. working pretty close together).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This morning to make up for it I had a coffee and flowers with a card sent to his office from me.
tounge.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This morning to make up for it I had a coffee and flowers with a card(offering a reach-around) sent to his office from me.
tounge.gif

ftfy

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning to make up for it I had a coffee and flowers with a card sent to his office from me.
tounge.gif

I hope you included a WAYWT "lifestyle" pic as well

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer to this question is not black and white, yes or no. It all depends on your relationship with the boss.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, he knows me. I give him presentations and such.

No need to buy him coffee then. He would've appreciated it if you hiked up your skirt just a tad though.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
you did the right thing.
i would feel insulted if someone (not my senior) bought me a drink or whatever if we don't have a close relationship (ie. working pretty close together).

Yup - actually even if we are; unless I did that person some minor favour which would commonly be repaid with coffee, I would not want someone junior to me picking up the tab for anything.

Samovar McGee

Reaction score
Totally not necessary, patrick. Just do a good job, and impress him with quality presentations. That in itself should be worth a thousand and one cups of cafeteria robusta.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should've removed your one-button suit and presented it to him while genuflecting and flagellating yourself with your belt.

Samovar McGee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erictheobscure
You should've removed your one-button suit and presented it to him while genuflecting and flagellating yourself with your belt.

Bonus points if you're wearing a hairshirt underneath it!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
that cheapskate shouldve paid for yours.
wink.gif

The CEO of my last company used to sit outside and smoke a cigar all the time. Id occasionally be out with a buddy on a smoke break. I had a great selection of cigars in my humidor so I brought him one of my favorites...a nicely aged cuban cohiba esplindito...he took it, and a few days later came to my desk and thanked me with a small box of Rocky Patels. VERY nice gesture on his part.

about a month later my department closed and I was out of work.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
that cheapskate shouldve paid for yours.
wink.gif

The CEO of my last company used to sit outside and smoke a cigar all the time. Id occasionally be out with a buddy on a smoke break. I had a great selection of cigars in my humidor so I brought him one of my favorites...a nicely aged cuban cohiba esplindito...he took it, and a few days later came to my desk and thanked me with a small box of Rocky Patels. VERY nice gesture on his part.

about a month later my department closed and I was out of work.

he knew it was coming

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads