• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..."

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what is the difference between single and double prick stitch?
I've always heard it called a "stitch prick"...

The difference is one blade versus two blades.

The first photo (they're out of the order I intended) is a double I made with a persimmon (American Ebony ) handle. It is set to make an indentation between each stitch if the stitches are 14 per inch. It can also be used to mark where to "hole" the welt and outsole if 14 stitches per inch are wanted.

The second and third photos are single stitch pricks. they are intended to separate and tighten stitches by making an impression in the welt between each stitch. The one on top is an antique and the one on the bottom is one I made fairly early on in my career.

DSCF2745_(1024_x_768).jpg

DSC00680_(1024_x_768).jpg

DSC00683_(1024_x_768).jpg

Wusterhausen

Reaction score
Thank you DWF II.

Maybe you can also help me to find those plastic covers that shoemakers use to cover the uppers during the process of bottom making?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you DWF II.

Maybe you can also help me to find those plastic covers that shoemakers use to cover the uppers during the process of bottom making?
I wish I knew. AFAIK, there's nothing available in the States. Carreducker in London (?) offers them, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you, but do you know where Carreducker get those covers from?
Regrettably, I don't. And I probably wouldn't order them from across the pond even if I did. That said, offering them is part of his business model which includes the teaching he does. If i were in his shoes (no pun intended) i wouldn't make the source widely available either.

I use shrink wrap tubing and it works well...once you get past all the fussing and cutting and taping that is needed to make the cover conform, more or less loosely, to the shape of the last.

Last edited:

Wusterhausen

Reaction score
Regrettably, I don't. And I probably wouldn't order them from across the pond even if I did. That said, offering them is part of his business model which includes the teaching he does. If i were in his shoes (no pun intended) i wouldn't make the source widely available either.

I use shrink wrap tubing and it works well...once you get past all the fussing and cutting and taping that is needed to make the cover conform, more or less loosely, to the shape of the last.

thank you.

Get your local polyethylene manufacturer to make them up for you, they aren’t particularly complicated. They’re just plastic bags

thank you, but are you sure, that those covers are made of polyethylene and not of some sort of vinyl?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make those bags yourself - use a bag sealer for sous vide cooking!

Alternatively you can do a heroic Anthony Delos number: no covers whatsoever.

Although he could not use those bags an the actual shoe section as those are in Norwegian construction; he doesn't feel the need for covers along the boot legs with it's white canvas (surely a veritable dirt magnet, if there ever was one):

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make those bags yourself - use a bag sealer for sous vide cooking!

I'd like to see that. I'm not sure how a vacuum sealed bag would be any better than a regular plastic bag. The bags (any type of cover) have to be put on before inseaming, and to inseam you would have to breach the vacuum almost immediately. I suspect that doing so would leave you with a shapeless bag not too dissimilar to a regular plastic bag.

What you want is a cover that is close fitting and somewhat fixed in place. That's why shrink wrap works so well. Once shrunk, it is the shape of the shoe and more or less rigid.

Not saying that vacuum sealed bags wouldn't work, I don't know, but I suspect that they might bring their own set of problems and in the end, not work as well as what is already out there. In any case, as mentioned, I'd have to see it.

That said, when I saw the Delos videos some years ago, I thought the man was either inestimably steady-handed or a bit reckless.

Last edited:

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think just the sealing bit was implied rather the man the vacuum, the covers are just folded over like a whole cut pattern and the “back seam” is bonded with a heat sealer

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think just the sealing bit was implied rather the man the vacuum

Exactly!

I've got one of those sealers in the kitchen (not necessarily for sous vide but old-fashioned 'boil-in-the-bag').
It works with an electrically heated metal wire. That wire cuts and seals plastic with a single operation.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think just the sealing bit was implied rather the man the vacuum, the covers are just folded over like a whole cut pattern and the “back seam” is bonded with a heat sealer

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, that's not much different than a "zip lock" plastic bag. I've tried almost every conceivable alternative to shrink wrap and while they all work...after a fashion...they they are none of them optimal.

Look at this--not saying this is ideal either but it conforms to the shoe near-as-nevermind perfectly, is rigid enough to trim and stay in place all by itself, and will even provide a measure of protection against the impressions left by the square awl.

Before heating with a standard hair dryer.

DSCF2145 (1024 x 768).jpg

Fully shrunk.

DSCF2149 (1024 x 768).jpg

Bottom after trimming and ready to inseam

DSCF2151 (1024 x 768) (2).jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads