• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Style and Proportions

DrewMill

Reaction score
Hello, all. I know this is probably a little too nitty gritty and #menswear guy stuff, and I'll probably have this scrennshotted by @dieworkwear and posted as a #StyFo dude. But I was thinking about this the other day.

In the same way that collars, lapels, and ties should work in proportions with faces and bodies, do different shoe styles work the same way? Would European-style shoes work better for smaller guys, British-style shoes for moderately built guys, and American-style for larger guys? Or are shoes a bit more able to work for anyone?

I know there are no set rules, but I prefer to choose clothes that work better for me. I have a round face, so I wear more square sunglasses, etc. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the shoes. Thanks!

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Europe is a big place, from a footwear perspective. I think it is somewhat reasonable to state that:

Spanish shoes don't tend to hew to one style, or probably align most closely to what the English do (when I think of Meermin and Carmina, I tend to think of things that would not be unexpected from Northhampton)
Austro-Hungarian shoes tend to skew more substantial - if you look at Vass, some of their lasts are explicitly designed by Italians they partnered with because those styles are not organically in their DNA. Excluding those lasts, and consider Dinkelacker, etc, you tend to got more substantial profiles - rounded and perhaps higher toes, double soled, etc.
Italians cover a lot of styles and methods - many would interpret "Italian loafer" as something Blake welted, and therefore having a slimmer, vertical profile.

So, I wouldn't really think about "European" shoes so much as what look you are trying to achieve. Some of the Spanish and English stuff will have the sole trimmed pretty tight, and if on a chiseled last, are not adding much width or "weight" to your look - if you are a bigger guy or have tiny feet, perhaps you are looking for more presence down there to balance you ought. The other dimension is what you are wearing - if you are wearing more workwear stuff, you probably don't want delicate footwear.

That said, if you search out for photos of Ethan Newton, I think you will find some of him in Belgian loafers, which are basically footwear de minimus on a guy with some mass

DrewMill

Reaction score
So, Europe is a big place, from a footwear perspective. I think it is somewhat reasonable to state that:

Spanish shoes don't tend to hew to one style, or probably align most closely to what the English do (when I think of Meermin and Carmina, I tend to think of things that would not be unexpected from Northhampton)
Austro-Hungarian shoes tend to skew more substantial - if you look at Vass, some of their lasts are explicitly designed by Italians they partnered with because those styles are not organically in their DNA. Excluding those lasts, and consider Dinkelacker, etc, you tend to got more substantial profiles - rounded and perhaps higher toes, double soled, etc.
Italians cover a lot of styles and methods - many would interpret "Italian loafer" as something Blake welted, and therefore having a slimmer, vertical profile.

So, I wouldn't really think about "European" shoes so much as what look you are trying to achieve. Some of the Spanish and English stuff will have the sole trimmed pretty tight, and if on a chiseled last, are not adding much width or "weight" to your look - if you are a bigger guy or have tiny feet, perhaps you are looking for more presence down there to balance you ought. The other dimension is what you are wearing - if you are wearing more workwear stuff, you probably don't want delicate footwear.

That said, if you search out for photos of Ethan Newton, I think you will find some of him in Belgian loafers, which are basically footwear de minimus on a guy with some mass
Thanks!! This is some really great advice!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I know this is probably a little too nitty gritty and #menswear guy stuff, and I'll probably have this scrennshotted by @dieworkwear and posted as a #StyFo dude. But I was thinking about this the other day.

In the same way that collars, lapels, and ties should work in proportions with faces and bodies, do different shoe styles work the same way? Would European-style shoes work better for smaller guys, British-style shoes for moderately built guys, and American-style for larger guys? Or are shoes a bit more able to work for anyone?

I know there are no set rules, but I prefer to choose clothes that work better for me. I have a round face, so I wear more square sunglasses, etc. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the shoes. Thanks!

Shoes should be proportionate to the outfit, your feet as well as to the purpose for which they are designed.

I'm not sure it's as simple as the generalization above. Take a look at some British country shoes and you'll see some pretty bulky offerings. They are country shoes designed to be worn outdoors. At the same time, some British shoes are built on pretty sleek lasts.

Italian loafers tend not to be as bulky but then there are other Italian shoes tend to be as bulky and chiseled as their cousins in Britain or America.

There is certainly a platonic ideal when it comes to these regional variations. Their are the quintessential Italian shoe, British shoe and American shoe styles.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think of shoe styling as fiting body styles generally. I do however think that styling speaks to certain styles of dress better.

Vass as mentioned above by @circumspice is a great example I'll use. As he alluded to, they have newer lasts like the U which are quite sleek and "modern." If you go to the Vass thread, U seems to be the most popular last these days.

U is, objectively, pretty on its own. But unless you dress like an Italian going to Pitti it wouldn't be my choice. And if you want an Italian shoe...buy an Italian shoe?

F last is quite...Britishy.... I really like the F. But once again why not buy a British shoe?

My favorite last at Vass is P2. Not super clunky, but still has some of that Central European sensibility.

To me, a well rounded but not overly broad shoe like a Vass P2 speaks well to a sport coat and off trousers outfit that might be a little more colorful than businesswear. Whereas a more conservative SC outfit for work might do better with a F last Vass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads