• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe question - Is bookbinder always bad?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up these Trickers shoes without realizing that "bookbinder" meant the leather was covered in some sort of acrylic lacquer. I actually still like them. They are very shiny, but have kind of a cordovan-esque look. From the inside of the shoe, the leather actually looks like it is of decent quality. And I only got them as weekend shoes, anyway. But I've never had bookbinder leather shoes before. Is the leather or acrylic likely to crack or start looking bad in short order? Is it correct that there really isn't any way to polish them (apart from maybe wiping them off) since nothing will soak through the coating? Are they relatively rain proof?

Attachments

• IMG-1514.jpg
    IMG-1514.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 949

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As someone who made the mistake of buying Allen Edmonds "techno horse" Bond Street shoes online, the answer is a big YES.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad depends on what you value. On the upside, you don’t have to polish them. On the downside, they don’t last as long.

My wife has a few pair of patent leather shoes that she’s worn on a somewhat regular basis for about 10 years and has not had any issues.

monkey66

Reaction score
Their fine until you scuff/scratch them and can't polish it out.

I made the same mistake with a pair of Trickers once, moved them on.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad depends on what you value. On the upside, you don’t have to polish them. On the downside, they don’t last as long.

My wife has a few pair of patent leather shoes that she’s worn on a somewhat regular basis for about 10 years and has not had any issues.

Patent leather is a good material and not related to book binder or corrected grain. It's good for evening shoes. It is not often to find good patent leather shoes anymore, though.

But to address the op: you messed up. The shoes are gonna look bad in a few months and they won't ever take a polish if super corrected grain.

You could try stripping them, but...

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who made the mistake of buying Allen Edmonds "techno horse" Bond Street shoes online, the answer is a big YES.

Technohorse can still be polished, so it isn't full blown corrected grain or book binder.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks and feels like plastic.

Yeah, I have the bond street in mahogany and I'm not too pleased. Nevertheless, I've mirror shined em up, so I know they can be polished. Real corrected grain with a heavy heavy heavy finish can't be polished at all.

Goofy

Reaction score
Bookbinder leather can’t be polished, but doesn’t require it either. Just rubbing it with a damp cloth will bring out it’s original luster and shine.

Color can be restored by applying leather paint like saphir’s teinture Française to scuffed areas.

A downside to it is that areas which are exposed to stress like the vamp will inevitably develop wrinkles and cracks over time. This can be minimized by keeping them lasted when unworn, but over time it‘s bound to happen.

Note the wrinkling on the vamp in the depicted shoes.

Last edited:

Thomson

Reaction score
I suspect there are different quality levels as well and not all bookbinder is equal. I have a pair of Church‘s which I bought before I knew better. They have held up very well, are not too shiny and are now doing service as my rainy weather shoes.

JonnyCar

Reaction score
Just been on the C&J website, and they have the same loafer in 'calf' and 'cavalry calf', which is their corrected grain leather. The price difference? Well, they've a different sole, so not an exact comparison, but there's 10% in it, and the cavalry calf costs about 10% more than the suede option. I actually have some loafers from C&J in cavalry calf as I loved the colour (burgundy) and got them on discount, and I've really enjoyed wearing them to be honest. If they had the regular calf at the same price, I'd have gone for that, but they are still high-quality, well-made shoes. Like Thomson I suspect all bookbinder is not created equal and I also agree that shoes do different jobs. Hopefully you'll keep enjoying these as weekend shoes!

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect there are different quality levels as well and not all bookbinder is equal. I have a pair of Church‘s which I bought before I knew better. They have held up very well, are not too shiny and are now doing service as my rainy weather shoes.

Some bookbinder is of very high quality.
The quality can be seen by looking at the underside of the leather which has a very fine nap.
Some of the best bookbinder lasts a long time and polishes up like a treat.
The problem is with the cheap bookbinder leather with the heavy plasticky surface.

Some of the best bespoke shoemakers have made shoes out of bookbinder.
Have some photos somewhere of $$$$$ shoes made form bookbinder but can't find them at the moment.

LJ1891

Reaction score
Some bookbinder is of very high quality.
The quality can be seen by looking at the underside of the leather which has a very fine nap.
Some of the best bookbinder lasts a long time and polishes up like a treat.
The problem is with the cheap bookbinder leather with the heavy plasticky surface.

Some of the best bespoke shoemakers have made shoes out of bookbinder.
Have some photos somewhere of $$$$$ shoes made form bookbinder but can't find them at the moment.
I always appreciate your posts. I learn something every time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads