• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Makers. "Who would you choose to buy direct with a £250 budget?

Reaction score
I am forever discovering new brands I would like to invest in when it comes to footwear. So I want to buy new, especially as I would like to surprise my Father by purchasing a quality pair of loafers that are the best I can afford. I can only spend roughly a maximum £250 each time here. I am looking for a new pair of loafers for him, but also my first pair of leather Monk Strap shoes - which has been subject to several delays already due to indecision. Choice is staggering, though exiting. Given this budget what would your first choice be or what brand would you gravitate toward?? First real open post here people, I think from what I have managed to read so far the content you have provided and respect you have for each other is both very refreshing and astonishing. Many Thanks

Ecstasy

Reaction score
I am forever discovering new brands I would like to invest in when it comes to footwear. So I want to buy new, especially as I would like to surprise my Father by purchasing a quality pair of loafers that are the best I can afford. I can only spend roughly a maximum £250 each time here. I am looking for a new pair of loafers for him, but also my first pair of leather Monk Strap shoes - which has been subject to several delays already due to indecision. Choice is staggering, though exiting. Given this budget what would your first choice be or what brand would you gravitate toward?? First real open post here people, I think from what I have managed to read so far the content you have provided and respect you have for each other is both very refreshing and astonishing. Many Thanks

I would say Allen Edmonds.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say Allen Edmonds.

Allen Edmonds aren't worth it - carmina has far more elegant lasts. Carmina, Alfred Sargent, Carlos santos, Enzo bonafe. I'm not sure what the conversion of those is.

Somehow I don't think allen Edmonds falls into his budget to begin with (I'm not doing the conversion).

purpleporing

Reaction score
Wut? 250 pounds is like $320 right now. That's probably enough for full-priced AEs here (dunno about UK), and definitely more than enough for AE seconds from Shoe Bank. In fact I think every other brand listed above is way over that except Carlos Santos. Certainly Carmina and Enzo Bonafe are.

It's difficult to find many options for that price though. J Fitzpatrick is another great option but it's probably pushing your budget.

(one more edit: Meermin appears to both be inexpensive ($175?) and generally loved on SF.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for replying and I think your right with the tight budget. As I review companies online I must be aware of at least 75 brands all doing great things. Knowing reputation is everything to most of these brands so too can it push their asking price. All or at least most are producing their wears from calf skin leather but the only difference I notice to each shoe is how it's finished. Meaning the more expensive versions of say 'a loafer' has gone through a very time consuming process dyeing which shows off a patina similar to how the shoe may have aged otherwise given ten years! Is the difference between 'Calf leathers so huge? I can save a bit more its no drama but there has to be a ceiling to the budget, or it wouldn't be a budget. Oh, the more I look into it the deeper the rabbit hole goes.., did I mention I quite like the more stylish varieties I have come across - Magnanni's ( if spelt correct ) or Salvatore Farra--a were perfect until $7-800 flashed up/Before shipping. Do you rate Barker's? Otherwise be looking at second-hand/Sales. Thanks guys appreciate your input.

starro

Reaction score
Thanks for replying and I think your right with the tight budget. As I review companies online I must be aware of at least 75 brands all doing great things. Knowing reputation is everything to most of these brands so too can it push their asking price. All or at least most are producing their wears from calf skin leather but the only difference I notice to each shoe is how it's finished. Meaning the more expensive versions of say 'a loafer' has gone through a very time consuming process dyeing which shows off a patina similar to how the shoe may have aged otherwise given ten years! Is the difference between 'Calf leathers so huge? I can save a bit more its no drama but there has to be a ceiling to the budget, or it wouldn't be a budget. Oh, the more I look into it the deeper the rabbit hole goes.., did I mention I quite like the more stylish varieties I have come across - Magnanni's ( if spelt correct ) or Salvatore Farra--a were perfect until $7-800 flashed up/Before shipping. Do you rate Barker's? Otherwise be looking at second-hand/Sales. Thanks guys appreciate your input.

I think you hit upon something very true here. RTW shoes past a price point all tend to check the basic boxes. Fit, materials, and construction distinguish good shoes from bad. Fit has nothing to do with price, just the trial and error of you trying on various lasts and learning what works or not. So it's really about finding the best materials and construction that are within your budget.

For Goodyear shoes the consensus as to the cheapest seems to be Meermin or Orban's. For handwelt bespoke-level quality it's Vass. Of course you could get even better prices if you keep your eyes open to factory seconds and the second-hand market (both NIB and gently worn).

For penny loafers it might be worthwhile to consider whether you like a handsewn apron or machine sewn.

babump

Reaction score
That budget falls short for new Carmina. You may give Yanko a try. Supposedly better quality than the classic Meermin line. I'm personally not in impressed by AE's current production loafers. Ordered a bunch during their recent anniversary sale and received several with shoddy quality, poor consistency with stitching and 2 out of the 4 arrived with significant scuff marks. Needless to say all of them were returned.

Reaction score
I think you hit upon something very true here. RTW shoes past a price point all tend to check the basic boxes. Fit, materials, and construction distinguish good shoes from bad. Fit has nothing to do with price, just the trial and error of you trying on various lasts and learning what works or not. So it's really about finding the best materials and construction that are within your budget.

For Goodyear shoes the consensus as to the cheapest seems to be Meermin or Orban's. For handwelt bespoke-level quality it's Vass. Of course you could get even better prices if you keep your eyes open to factory seconds and the second-hand market (both NIB and gently worn).

For penny loafers it might be worthwhile to consider whether you like a handsewn apron or machine sewn.

Reaction score
Absolutely I feel I'm getting somewhere now, plus reading your comments has given me an idea I need to get out next wkend, hop onto a train and head into London. it's only a 30min journey though strangely It's been years since I bothered ( internet shopping presumably ) and then likely a messy stag-do or something. How things change, anyway what I'm getting at is I'll go there to literally 'feel' my way to understanding the differences in leather materials and get a better take on the quality aspects herein and thus, between some of the various brands. Of course it's all well and good seeing all assorted Gents footwear, steeped in rich history and timeless in design but unless you 'know' what real quality feels like they can easily 'merge' in their stand alone appearance, especially going from page to page online - Oh, and next to the lottery results which actually turns out to be their Price Tag! This rather large number which to me correlates to not a lot, called have been just out the air! As for second-Hand and discount stores, I took a chance some months back with a pair of Gucci loafers but thought I would get away or even 'stretch' half a size from them when ordering, I just thought I really needed these bloody things?! In reality they were taken out of the box once, they obviously didn't fit ( UK9 1/2 and I am UK10 ) so just put them back and never seen daylight since.. Tell a lie, I did scotchgaurd/Water proof them but then they returned to their tomb. Lessons learnt and so immediately began looking for the next pair. Shameful really, anyone in the market for Tan Suede Gucci Loafers?? Anyway, Cheers again fellas ..

IChen

Reaction score
Just check out like the different brands of Meermin, AE, etc. Just pick 1 you like that wears comfortably and one with a style where you like the look. You're not going to see a wide amount of difference with that budget so.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Try Shipton & Heneage in Fulham. They have a very good range of their own brand shoes at that price point, all of which come from the top Northampton makers.

Reaction score
Will do, another reason for asking - ''Each period looking online leads only towards even more indecision''. Mainly because I come away with so many additional brands I orta lookup. I'll take a gander at those thanks..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads