Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

2. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I wear 3636 and F in the same size. The former is a little shorter overall and roomier in the toe, but the ball area fits very similar for both lasts.

3. cliche

cliche Senior member

Time to brush up my C&J hallam!!!! Dirty shoes!!

[​IMG]

4. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

5. cliche

cliche Senior member

We only live once so what the hell :p

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brings tears to mes yeux :(

7. rikod

rikod Senior member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

Isssh, I have got to say that I'm not a fan of your ancient triple-soled monstrosities this thread is littered with. Seems you have been bitten by the vintage bug and have acquired every shoe available to you even if they are not your size. Settle down, young man. Enjoy the fruits of technological advances. There are better, lighter shoes available now. Don't waste your life dwelling on teh past. Live in the now. Trust.

9. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Ah, "young man", i like the sound of that. Now sir, simmer down and take a deep breath.

1) I care not whether you like them. Regardless of what you think, or any individual poster, there are quite a few fans of top quality vintage shoes on this forum. My inbox is littered with encouraging messages from them.

2) Fan or not, at least my posts aren't the same recycled shoes we've seen on this very thread over and over and over again. First we had 8 million Aldens and C&J's. Then everyone posted the same EG's. At lesast now we're getting some Carmina's and G&G's to add some excitement. Although many of the G&G's are their more benign styles.

3) About the sizes, 95% of what I have posted here actually DO fit me. Most are in my closet right now, and of those, ALL get worn.

4) Again, regardless of your opinion on the styles...the top quality leathers, with NATURAL patinas, and hand welting/ stitching of many of these shoes far exceeds most of what's seen here Quality-Wise. Your "Technological Advances" have mainly caused the decline of the shoe industry.

5) Why do you care or worry about what I post if you don't like them? I will post as I please.

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

Hey, please don't take this as a personal stab at you. It's just that there is a good reason those shoes you post aren't made anymore and I doubt it has much to do with outsourcing or a decline in craftsmanship. I'm just speaking my opinion. I'd like to ask many of those who post positive reactions to the shoes you post how many of them would actually pay money to own these and if so, how much would they pay?

I am a shoe fan but by no means a shoe expert. I have owned some shoes from 20-40 years ago and can tell you while similar offerings from the same makers are hard to come by nowadays, there are other makers who have had consistent quality churn out of their factories, even if the price has gone up. I wish I still had pics of the J&M spade-soled handmades, some of the early AE, Florsheim, Alden or even the J&M shell or Ferregamo shoes I have owned. But those pale in comparison to what is now available on the market from other makers.

Sure you can buy a 64 Impala and restore it. Heck, you might even buy a fully restored 64 Impala. But that car will pale in comparison to the newer, more efficient vehicles of today. Fact.

Hopefully one day you will see my point.

Yes, there is a certain charm to many of the shoes you've posted but I think they would be better suited in my Shoes With Character thread and not in the Shoe P0rn thread.

11. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Does one have to rob graves to find these relics? :marchal:

12. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Of course it's not personal. It's internet banter.

styles change... but they ALWAYS come back. Very few makers today are capable of hand-welting shoes, and besides it is no longer cost effective. If you can't sell it for near $1k, it's simply not cost effective for the most part.

You'd be surprised. But, what difference does this make? Is there a "re-sale value" requirement on this post?

This is very clear.

Unless you were actively purchasing shoes in the 1950's and more often in the 1940's & 1930's you have absolutely no frame of reference. None of those shoes you mentioned above are really noteworthy later than that. Alden was NEVER a top maker. Ferragamo is mediocre in vintage terms. Even your J&M spades aren't good examples of top quality handmade US vintage shoes... unless you owned the original models from the 1930's and 1940's. Their 60's & 70's re-makes are decent, but not in the same league. You said, "I am a shoe fan but by no means a shoe expert." You are correct.

This is a horrendous comparison. Cars? Who the hell cares about buying a new "hand-made car"? Anthony Dellos is like Maybach? Bestetti like Bentley?

Hopefully they will have a cure for dementia and I will be able to avoid descending into your present state of, "I'm no expert BUT I sure know what I'm talking about!"

As your opinions as to what I should and should not post would be best suited in a garbage can.

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

yep, i admit.

14. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Not mine, but figured I would try to get this thread back on track with a great looking pair of delos loafers that I would like to get.

[​IMG]

-LR

15. Axxl

Axxl Active Member

Hi,

I am new to this sophisticated place of sartorial wisdom. My entry in the " May I introduce myself" thread will follow.

Awesome C&J I must say. And those gentlemen misinterpreting here in the most Freudian fahion, please be informed that this is a regal pattern. It is called fleur de lys (lily); an ancient heraldic pattern which happens to symbolise Mother Mary and has been part of many european family emblems. Amongst them my very own family and the french bourbon family, once the reigns of a french empire. It can even be found in some city flags and coats of arms in the new world, predominantly in those US American cities founded by french immigrants.

So please enjoy your very traditional Bourbon pattern and carry it with pride. It means a lot to me and many people in the know.

With kind regards and due respect

Axel

PS: Please do not be offended by my grammar and orthography: I am European by heart and rooted in Germany