• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I would love a black Alt Wien or Theresianer in the 3636 last, but I worry about the fit. the P2 is a perfect fit and like slewfoot, I would like to know how the 3636 compares to the P2 or F. Almost impossible to find a pair here in the US or in the B&S close to my size to try, I always check. I'm planning a visit to Budapest next year, I will try it in person then.

I wear 3636 and F in the same size. The former is a little shorter overall and roomier in the toe, but the ball area fits very similar for both lasts.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Before Florsheim went nuts with the Longwing Gunboat design (and the Goodyear Welting process in it's manufacture), they were quite fond of this design. A bit more full in the forefoot area and a more narrow waist.
1950's Florsheim Suede Spectators
IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4374.jpg

Isssh, I have got to say that I'm not a fan of your ancient triple-soled monstrosities this thread is littered with. Seems you have been bitten by the vintage bug and have acquired every shoe available to you even if they are not your size. Settle down, young man. Enjoy the fruits of technological advances. There are better, lighter shoes available now. Don't waste your life dwelling on teh past. Live in the now. Trust.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isssh, I have got to say that I'm not a fan of your ancient triple-soled monstrosities this thread is littered with. Seems you have been bitten by the vintage bug and have acquired every shoe available to you even if they are not your size. Settle down, young man. Enjoy the fruits of technological advances. There are better, lighter shoes available now. Don't waste your life dwelling on teh past. Live in the now. Trust.

Ah, "young man", i like the sound of that. Now sir, simmer down and take a deep breath.

1) I care not whether you like them. Regardless of what you think, or any individual poster, there are quite a few fans of top quality vintage shoes on this forum. My inbox is littered with encouraging messages from them.

2) Fan or not, at least my posts aren't the same recycled shoes we've seen on this very thread over and over and over again. First we had 8 million Aldens and C&J's. Then everyone posted the same EG's. At lesast now we're getting some Carmina's and G&G's to add some excitement. Although many of the G&G's are their more benign styles.

3) About the sizes, 95% of what I have posted here actually DO fit me. Most are in my closet right now, and of those, ALL get worn.

4) Again, regardless of your opinion on the styles...the top quality leathers, with NATURAL patinas, and hand welting/ stitching of many of these shoes far exceeds most of what's seen here Quality-Wise. Your "Technological Advances" have mainly caused the decline of the shoe industry.

5) Why do you care or worry about what I post if you don't like them? I will post as I please.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, "young man", i like the sound of that. Now sir, simmer down and take a deep breath.
1) I care not whether you like them. Regardless of what you think, or any individual poster, there are quite a few fans of top quality vintage shoes on this forum. My inbox is littered with encouraging messages from them.
2) Fan or not, at least my posts aren't the same recycled shoes we've seen on this very thread over and over and over again. First we had 8 million Aldens and C&J's. Then everyone posted the same EG's. At lesast now we're getting some Carmina's and G&G's to add some excitement. Although many of the G&G's are their more benign styles.
3) About the sizes, 95% of what I have posted here actually DO fit me. Most are in my closet right now, and of those, ALL get worn.
4) Again, regardless of your opinion on the styles...the top quality leathers, with NATURAL patinas, and hand welting/ stitching of many of these shoes far exceeds most of what's seen here Quality-Wise. Your "Technological Advances" have mainly caused the decline of the shoe industry.
5) Why do you care or worry about what I post if you don't like them? I will post as I please.

Hey, please don't take this as a personal stab at you. It's just that there is a good reason those shoes you post aren't made anymore and I doubt it has much to do with outsourcing or a decline in craftsmanship. I'm just speaking my opinion. I'd like to ask many of those who post positive reactions to the shoes you post how many of them would actually pay money to own these and if so, how much would they pay?

I am a shoe fan but by no means a shoe expert. I have owned some shoes from 20-40 years ago and can tell you while similar offerings from the same makers are hard to come by nowadays, there are other makers who have had consistent quality churn out of their factories, even if the price has gone up. I wish I still had pics of the J&M spade-soled handmades, some of the early AE, Florsheim, Alden or even the J&M shell or Ferregamo shoes I have owned. But those pale in comparison to what is now available on the market from other makers.

Sure you can buy a 64 Impala and restore it. Heck, you might even buy a fully restored 64 Impala. But that car will pale in comparison to the newer, more efficient vehicles of today. Fact.

Hopefully one day you will see my point.

Yes, there is a certain charm to many of the shoes you've posted but I think they would be better suited in my Shoes With Character thread and not in the Shoe P0rn thread.

Last edited:

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey, please don't take this as a personal stab at you.

Of course it's not personal. It's internet banter.

It's just that there is a good reason those shoes you post aren't made anymore and I doubt it has much to do with outsourcing or a decline in craftsmanship. I'm just speaking my opinion.

styles change... but they ALWAYS come back. Very few makers today are capable of hand-welting shoes, and besides it is no longer cost effective. If you can't sell it for near $1k, it's simply not cost effective for the most part.

I'd like to ask many of those who post positive reactions to the shoes you post how many of them would actually pay money to own these and if so, how much would they pay?

You'd be surprised. But, what difference does this make? Is there a "re-sale value" requirement on this post?

I am a shoe fan but by no means a shoe expert.

This is very clear.

I wish I still had pics of the J&M spade-soled handmades, some of the early AE, Florsheim, Alden or even the J&M shell or Ferregamo shoes I have owned. But those pale in comparison to what is now available on the market from other makers.

Unless you were actively purchasing shoes in the 1950's and more often in the 1940's & 1930's you have absolutely no frame of reference. None of those shoes you mentioned above are really noteworthy later than that. Alden was NEVER a top maker. Ferragamo is mediocre in vintage terms. Even your J&M spades aren't good examples of top quality handmade US vintage shoes... unless you owned the original models from the 1930's and 1940's. Their 60's & 70's re-makes are decent, but not in the same league. You said, "I am a shoe fan but by no means a shoe expert." You are correct.

Sure you can buy a 64 Impala and restore it. Heck, you might even buy a fully restored 64 Impala. But that car will pale in comparison to the newer, more efficient vehicles of today. Fact.

This is a horrendous comparison. Cars? Who the hell cares about buying a new "hand-made car"? Anthony Dellos is like Maybach? Bestetti like Bentley?

Hopefully one day you will see my point.

Hopefully they will have a cure for dementia and I will be able to avoid descending into your present state of, "I'm no expert BUT I sure know what I'm talking about!"

Yes, there is a certain charm to many of the shoes you've posted but I think they would be better suited in my Shoes With Character thread and not in the Shoe P0rn thread.

As your opinions as to what I should and should not post would be best suited in a garbage can.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not mine, but figured I would try to get this thread back on track with a great looking pair of delos loafers that I would like to get.

-LR

Axxl

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this sophisticated place of sartorial wisdom. My entry in the " May I introduce myself" thread will follow.

Awesome C&J I must say. And those gentlemen misinterpreting here in the most Freudian fahion, please be informed that this is a regal pattern. It is called fleur de lys (lily); an ancient heraldic pattern which happens to symbolise Mother Mary and has been part of many european family emblems. Amongst them my very own family and the french bourbon family, once the reigns of a french empire. It can even be found in some city flags and coats of arms in the new world, predominantly in those US American cities founded by french immigrants.

So please enjoy your very traditional Bourbon pattern and carry it with pride. It means a lot to me and many people in the know.

With kind regards and due respect

Axel

PS: Please do not be offended by my grammar and orthography: I am European by heart and rooted in Germany

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads