Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Hey, I have absolutely no problem with anyone that's not into Vintage Shoes. It's not my job to "convince"... hell, it's not a job at all. This is what I do for fun, being a Dad of 3 young ones, Vintage shoes keeps me at home. I just like to share what's out there.

HOWEVER, it seems that there is some kind off a misconception about what "Vintage Styling" really means. Of course I post a LOT of "Gunboat" style shoes. Triple soles, wide hand-welts, crazy exotic leathers. That's a PART of Vintage Shoes, but by no means the whole Kaboodle (or even the majority of it). There are PLENTY of Vintage Shoes that are more conservative & sleeker styles. Many of which are still available today... by the same makers that are highlighted on this thread so often.

1940's Stan West Spades

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1940's Spectators

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A more sleek model... 1930's Foot Joy Custom Made Spectators.
    Honestly, these are made so nicely it's pretty incredible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND, the nicest shoes I have ever handled. I'm by no means the expert of all the top brands. HOWEVER, I've owned and handled many pairs of EG, John Lobb (UK, not Paris), C&J handgrades, most top Italian makers (except Lattanzi), and many more (still want some Vass and a pair of Over-The Top G&G). Still, these are just as nice as anything i've ever seen.

1930's Florsheim Custom Made Captoe Spades

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1964 Impala????? I think not. Maybe Aston Martin.

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Isshn,

All of those are pretty nice.

I particularly like the Stan Wests. The stitching is tight and even (fine) and the folding is very precisely done. Folding edges is far more difficult than gimping edges.

The Footjoys are very nice or at least the left one is. I am puzzled as to what is going on at the top of the vamp/vamp point on the right shoe. But again the stitching is fine. I never did care for seeing the toe broguing extend all the way down to the welt, however and the closer it gets the more uneasy I am.

The Florsheims are actually quite nice. I like the restrained antiquing that accents the patina of the shoe rather than dominating it or trying to redefine the whole concept the way some contemporary makers do.

The only thing I don't like about these...and it applies to most vintages shoes...is the solid rubber toplift/half heel. But that was the fashion back in the day.

I might add that I have seen some vintage shoes...most notably women's oxfords...that would put any contemporary maker to shame in terms of finesse and workmanship. I remember seeing one pair that had six (?) lines of stitching in a space no wider than the two or three you see on most men's shoes. And at a high frequency--I didn't count but I am sure there were more than 25 stitches per inch. It made me wonder how the maker did it...the gauge of the needle had to be a 10 or even an 8 and the thread probably a "B" or even "A" weight silk.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  3. NORE

NORE Senior member

:nodding:

I noted a couple of my shoes were in those examples :)

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

Hey, horses for courses...let's agree to disagree.

Still, feel free to post in my Shoes With Character thread. There are more Hustler readers in there :)

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

well, i do not agree. this is some soulless crap. no character. nothing. straight out boring.

discuss.

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The one problem I have with all the shoes from that period (mid 50s to late 60s; I do not believe any are older than that) is the
    extremely low vamp point.

Combine a low and long sweeping top-line (giving lots of sock cleavage) with an extended throat and you haven't got much space for the vamp, resulting in a low vamp point. (Always reminding me in it's proportions of the long torso and the short legs of a zoot suit or hip-hop pants.)

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Isshy,

I, for one, appreciate seeing the wide variety of vintage shoes you post. As they widen everyone's horizons.

I understand that they aren't necessarily everyone's taste - but I'd be let down not to have your posts here.

To each their own.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

by mistake

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Good point.

10. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Agree.

11. isshinryu101

Ever since I stepped down from helm of my autocratic regime, I have no problem with those that disagree with me. In fact, I encourage it.

Although I don't take what people type in forums personally, suggesting that one's contributions are "not good enough" and are "better suited elsewhere" is a DICK MOVE (using the modern vernacular, of course)

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

I think you misinterpreted my intentions. I started that thread as an alternative to this one and others which show(ed) predominantly pics of new, unworn shoes. Thus the title Shoes With Character. Back then we didn't have too many shoe threads but it seems now there is one for every maker so I guess you have more choices. Still, there are/were some awesome pics in that thread and I wish people still posted their well-loved shoes there. Have you checked it out?

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

That stepping-down didn't last long.........

Oops! - There is that old self again............you obviously do take things very, very personal.

14. isshinryu101

yup. However, despite the friendly suggestion, I think I'll stay right here.

15. isshinryu101

What's YOUR problem? Not taking it seriously at all. In fact, I've had quite a laugh. That's the problem with the internet. You can never tell the nuances of meaning when using just the written word (at least within a reasonable word-count).

OKAY, maybe I'm not clear enough.

I NEVER told anyone that what they post is bad. Never said, "That's Crap", never criticized someone else's personal preferences. In fact, I either find something positive to say OR say nothing at all. HOWEVER, I am very open to "not my taste", "vamp is too low", "don't like that color", etc, etc, etc.

"That's the ugliest thing i've ever seen" is something i've read before, and that's a d*ck comment. So is, "your taste is bad" & "your posts aren't good enough to put here" is as well. If you don't like, don't look. Move on. POLITELY & RESPECTFULLY criticize. ACT LIKE MEN!!!

"You aren't welcome here" is NEVER something i'm going to accept here or anywhere I go. I work too damned hard to have to listen to that crap and not respond.

People who throw stones shouldn't cry when they get smacked in the skull with a piece of concrete in return.