• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In England, between the wars there were quite a few competitions, showing off that type ‘pin pointing’ work. I believe, they did not judge the shoes (which might have been made by someone else), just the decorative work on the sole. The Northampton shoe museum has various samples as has James Taylor (orthopaedic shoes) in Marylebone, London.

http://www.taylormadeshoes.co.uk/

The ones Taylor owns were all made by one man, who was based in the provinces (maybe Cardiff) and who lived from around 1880 – 1955. I cannot recall name, residency and dates, although Taylor displays them with the exhibits. Contact Taylor they might send you some pictures and could probably supply you with the name of a grindery which stocks the tacks. After all, lots of companies are still using those same pins to hammer initials into the waist of bespoke or made-to-order shoes (if requested). Alternatively contact the Northampton shoe museum; they should not only have samples of the shoes, but press-cuttings of the actual events and prize giving ceremonies.

I think, I concur with Novice that these shoes were never meant to be worn (I think you would fall instantly on encountering a marble or tiled floor). It was just a means for fanatics to show off their skills, just like some people will build Brooklyn Bridge with matchsticks and string. There is presumably that same urge for ‘decoration for decoration’s sake’ that inspired the ‘Pearly Kings and Queens’ among London’s Eastend population. (Another movement that had its heydays before the war and is now a shadow of what it once was.)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=...l=1624l11039l0l14578l9l9l0l2l2l0l16l101l7l7l0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearly_Kings_and_Queens

Here are 2 entries from a similar competition that took place in the U.S. in the 1920's

Are you certain, those samples are American and not English shoes which happened to end-up in the States?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The ones Taylor owns were all made by one man, who was based in the provinces (maybe Cardiff) and who lived from around 1880 – 1955. I cannot recall name, residency and dates, although Taylor displays them with the exhibits.

Harry Stone

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quoting because for some reason the photos appear at the correct size when quoted or copied, but not when originally posted. No clue as to why.
confused.gif

nice- provenance?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quoting because for some reason the photos appear at the correct size when quoted or copied, but not when originally posted. No clue as to why. :confused:

mr. mr. moo, details on the jodhpurs. they look incredible

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
never heard of them. how is the sizing? the leather looks nice in your photos

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
They make RTW for Berluti. The leather is exceptional, as is the construction/sole treatment, etc. etc. Sizing is TTS. At this price, it represents a very good value.

1grbjk.jpg

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
lulz

They make a lot of Blake stitched stuff (un-resolable?) and a lot of funky designs, but these (and a few others on Yoox) are an exception.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lulz
They make a lot of Blake stitched stuff (un-resolable?) and a lot of funky designs, but these (and a few others on Yoox) are an exception.

They also make above average Norvegese shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks guys.
They are Stefano Bi, from Yoox.

how is the fit. i'm ready to cut my pinky toe.

btw, what's the story about the ridiculous training shoes in your sig. you didn't intend to wear them?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AFAIK, they are the default manufacturer for LVMH and makes shoes for Berluti and LV.  Nice to see a non-blake constructed shoe from them.

what's not to like about blake?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads