Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Handmade

Of the shoes on yesterdays blog post the one I find most attractive is the second last the brown cap toe.

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Hey, I don't know. As I implied in my previous posts, I don't even know what they were using for "pins" nor where to get something that would be a reasonable facsimile.

I just yesterday placed a small order for some small brass pins used in caning but haven't received them yet. Will they work? I don't know but I'm gonna find out. Maybe then I'll be better positioned to say how difficult this work is.

That said, in my admittedly, speculative opinion, I think the hard part is finding the right (or suitable) materials. Then the next hard part will be spacing the pins both closely and evenly. After that, I suspect it's mostly just work.

Doing a fiddleback beveled waist isn't all that hard at its most basic, either. It's all about controlling angles and shape and then the final finishing.

BTW, I suspect, as Isshin said, that pinwork wasn't done with an expectation of actual wear.

Having said that, if the pins are short enough that they do not stiffen the outsole of the shoe (as well as the shoe itself), there is no reason one couldn't wear shoes that had been pinned. They might function like toe plates or sole protectors.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

3. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Issh - I must thank you for your this post

Do these shoes really got around 60 stitches per inch!!! ?

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I suspect that if those pins are short enough to not poke through the sole then the ones that are at the part of the sole that bends have a good chance of falling out.

5. DWFII

Hmmm. You may be correct although just walking might tend to compress the leather around the pins as well as drive each of them a little deeper. I am trying to envision when during the gait the pins would have an opportunity to fall out.

But, that said,since the pins are harder than the surrounding leather, if they are too long they will just be driven deeper into the insole and eventually into the foot. Sydney Brinkerhof details this in Boots and Shoes of the Frontier Soldier 1865-1893 recounting the problems soldiers in the American West experienced with boots that had brass "screws" (really just nails) in lieu of wooden pegs.

There may be no one alive who has owned or worn shoes with decorative brass pins to tell us what to expect.

What I have ordered is quarter inch and three-eighths inch. If they have a substantial head which must be clipped off the quarter inch pins might very well be too short .

6. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

Actually, these shoes were a part of the Re-Sole competition. I have not had the pleasure of seeing the handmades with that unreal stitch count.

7. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Actually I have a few pairs.

They cannot be worn, they are decorative. If you are interested to find out more it's called 'Pin Pointing'.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

See below...

9. DWFII

Can you explain why they are not wearable/functional?

So...I did a search on "pin pointing"...no joy. Can you direct me to a source/link/book?

10. isshinryu101

I second this.

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Quoting because for some reason the photos appear at the correct size when quoted or copied, but not when originally posted. No clue as to why. :confused:

12. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

A pin displaces it's own weight in leather and so their is a limit to the number of pins that a piece of leather will accept before it bursts when walked in. I'm afraid I don't have a link or a written source of information to direct you too. Delos has had a stab at pin pointing - it's he who introduced me to the art!

The examples Isshinryu has posted whilst adorable are actually by 'pin pointing' standards amateur. One of the pairs I have has over 16000 brass pin - it was a wedding present.

13. isshinryu101

Post Pics!

14. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

[​IMG]

15. DWFII

Ah! Yes, I see. Good explanation too, BTW.

Thanks.