• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbikepics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Those are beautiful and reminiscent of the EG Beaulieu. I see surprisingly few JM Westons in these parts, most people seem to favour their English counterparts. How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?
yfyf - Just pm'd you.

superbikepics

Reaction score
I got these at the same time as the Grant wholecuts in Vintage Chestnut I posted earlier. A somewhat more casual shoe, it gets more mileage in the warmer months.

These have been gone through with a thorough cleaning, ala St. Crispin's guidance, including the saddle soap wash, turpentine rub-down, Saphir Renovateur, and several coats of polish. A keen eye will notice a finer finish on the heels versus the left heel of the '1st Gen' Grants, which isn't quite perfect.

Regards,

Ryan

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
^nice shoes Ryan. perfect for spring/summer in that light tan.

+1 - beautiful monks.

superbikepics

Reaction score
I picked these up last month after having visited the Barker Black boutique in SoHo last February. I have a couple other pairs, which I will also be posting, and have MTOs on order (oh, the wait is killin' me!).

What drew me to this was the skull & bones broguing on the toe and _lack_ of broguing on the heel counter. Taking a closer look, what I _really_ like is the 'stylized' wingtip pattern...lots of flowing, curving lines on this particular model. This particular last has a generous toe box, unlike the Clifton cap toes which have a narrowe last and forced me up a half size.

Okay, you came here for the shoes, not for the small talk...
laugh.gif
These have been thoroughly gone over and readied for wearing, including a few coats of Saphir medum brown polish.

Regards,

Ryan

ualman

Reaction score
Wow, amazing looking shoes.
Love the shine and the skull and bones broguing rock.
Should be getting a pair myself
smile.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice shoes.

Can you teach me how to take photographs like you?
worship.gif

superbikepics

Reaction score
ualman - the skull & bones originally drew me to Barker Black, but the last shapes were what sealed the deal for me. They are not too dramatic, and though I do keep a modest assortment of Alden and Allen-Edmond, Barker Blacks are, how to describe..."a bit left of center". Just when you think your eyes have soaked up all the details, the few subtle ones hit you. I'll post my other Barker Blacks and you'll see what I mean.

Eustace Tilley - the photo formula is rather simple. The ideal would be to place a softbox directly overhead, but I had to do with a 75 degree angle or so (rather than 90). It helps a great deal to place the subject on a soft white surface so that the light bounces up and illuminates the bottom edge of the shoe. You can't overlook this if you want to tease out the last shape or some other details...for instance the 135 brass nails which make up the skull & bones motif on the sole...wouldn't have shown up quite so well without the white baseboard reflecting some of the softbox light. I've noted a few folks have gone with the "lifestyle" shot which can be somewhat 2-dimensional, but it does reflect more of a reality than the set shot I've used. I will acknowledge that the only motivation for doing these shots was that I could not find very good images anywhere of Barker Blacks. On some level, I think they are doing a disservice by not showing up a lot of the detail that makes these desirable. To me, Barker Blacks are the kind of shoe you wear when you're "workin' for the man" but have a bit of a rebel streak in you. They probably flirt most with the line between style and fashion of any of the shoes I own. Hmmm...got off track there.

JayJay and morph07 - Thank you. Very kind of you to mention.

Sartorially challenged - I searched and searched and then tried and tried the various formulas for shoe shining, and at least for me, the winning formula is the one St. Crispin's offers on their website. I've gone through my entire 'collection' and applied the same treatment to all. The best advice I have ever taken with regards to shoes is to give them a thorough cleaning and shine before the first wearing. The folds that develop on the first and subsequent wearings just seem to wear more evenly, and subsequent polishings seem to result in a more even finish overall. Hard to explain really.

I'll get to posting more pics shortly!

Regards,

Ryan

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
More of my boring AEs. One day I'll post something spectacular up here, but today ain't that day. Tomorrow won't be either.
laugh.gif

Nice Mcclains you got there. I like the grain look on that shoe.

superbikepics

Reaction score
pocketsquareguy - good call posting the link! Their method appears to work best for me, although there were a lot of good results with other methods (many posted on this forum) as well!

Regards,

Ryan

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
Nice Mcclains you got there. I like the grain look on that shoe.

Thanks! Very little love here for AEs.

superbikepics

Reaction score
More Barker Black goodness. Probably a bit of a lace-up snob, but I _never_, and I mean _never_ considered loafers... There's something about the lack of support on the top of the foot that always bothered me about loafers, even those with a higher than normal (i.e., penny loafer) vamp. Anyway, I tried these on at the Barker Black store in NYC and they looked simply smashing with the grey flannel suit I was wearing. I pair it with mid-gray and navy, but doesn't seem to show up well with my charcoal suits.

Same 'ol St. Crispin's treatment to get the shine up...

Bad move on my part - I wore them on a rainy day, then proceeded to "put them away wet" when I got home. They've dried out now, but this pic of the sole... Ugh!

Regards,

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads