• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Had these for a bit, had a free moment and decided to, well, share:

Dimitri "Bottier" Gomez water buffalo 2-eyelet derbies:

buffle1jd7.jpg

Great casuals. I hadn't dropped by the thread in awhile and missed them.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Not very exciting but I needed a pair of basic black shoes. The Trickers Belgrave fit the bill:

Awesome selection. IMHO Tricker's lasts are sorely underrated. I think people here are still going off the near-biblical status of the Jcusey rtw pyramid which passes all Tricker's off as well-made clunkers. In looking through the various factory shop offerings, many (most?) of them look really good.

Do these look good or what????
TrickersCastagna5i.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those don't look too bad, although the angle makes it hard to judge the toe shape. Most trickers (including those on the previous page) have something a little off about the last. Grensons too. Not all, but most.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tarmac,

i do agree with grimslade. they certainly look good from that angle, but can we get a front on shot?

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Those don't look too bad, although the angle makes it hard to judge the toe shape. Most trickers (including those on the previous page) have something a little off about the last. Grensons too. Not all, but most.

+1 Yeah, I completely agree, that angle makes them look good. Tricker's lasts are just not elegant.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
+1 Yeah, I completely agree, that angle makes them look good. Tricker's lasts are just not elegant.

I agree - while I like my Belgrave's, the last certainly is nowhere as sleek as the C&J 337/348 or the EG 888/82.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Sure - I paid 180 pounds (excl. VAT) to www.pediwear.co.uk

So you decided to purchase them after all. I think the price & qualiy of Trickers makes them a solid choice, particularly where black business shoes are the order of the day:

TrickersRegentBelgraveblack2.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I like the Tricker's, and they certainly appeal to the Anglophile in me. However, on something like a black captoe are they a substantial upgrade in quality from Alden? I don't think they're a substantial upgrade in last shape. Obviously on something like the double monk you wouldn't have an Alden option.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjl5000
So you decided to purchase them after all. I think the price & qualiy of Trickers makes them a solid choice, particularly where black business shoes are the order of the day:

Yes, I did. And thank you again for helping me determine my correct Trickers size.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Yes, I did. And thank you again for helping me determine my correct Trickers size.

My pleasure ET, I hope they serve you well.

More Tricker's for your viewing pleasure (or not, as the case may be)...

Trickers.jpg

super_mut

Reaction score
No one answered my question on the last page...soo...

Hey guys, I just purchased my first pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues!

Just one question, I'm a new intern at a financial company and I'm wondering whether or not my pair of Allen Edmonds were a good "investment" I got 25% off the shoe as well as additional products (bought some polish and shoe horns while I was there).

My pair of Bostonian Akrons were on their way out and the question I had was whether or not I should keep the Allen Edmonds and buy another pair of "daily driver" shoes or return the AE's and purchase two pairs.

I'm a stickler for quality and I love the fact that AE's are made in USA compared to my Bostonians that are made in China. My Bostonians are pretty much done, I need a new pair and would anyone recommend anything besides Bostonians. I work as a Financial Rep.

Any tips on shoe care?

I bought some Kent Brushes as well as the AE polish?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I like the Tricker's, and they certainly appeal to the Anglophile in me. However, on something like a black captoe are they a substantial upgrade in quality from Alden? I don't think they're a substantial upgrade in last shape. Obviously on something like the double monk you wouldn't have an Alden option.

I do think they are better made than Alden. At 180 GBP they are basically the same price too. If I was ready to pay MSRP for Alden I would prefer Tricker's

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by super_mut
No one answered my question on the last page...soo...

Hey guys, I just purchased my first pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues!

Just one question, I'm a new intern at a financial company and I'm wondering whether or not my pair of Allen Edmonds were a good "investment" I got 25% off the shoe as well as additional products (bought some polish and shoe horns while I was there).

My pair of Bostonian Akrons were on their way out and the question I had was whether or not I should keep the Allen Edmonds and buy another pair of "daily driver" shoes or return the AE's and purchase two pairs.

I'm a stickler for quality and I love the fact that AE's are made in USA compared to my Bostonians that are made in China. My Bostonians are pretty much done, I need a new pair and would anyone recommend anything besides Bostonians. I work as a Financial Rep.

Any tips on shoe care?

I bought some Kent Brushes as well as the AE polish?

AE are good shoes. You don't need validation for that. Whether you got the best price - depends. Some style, colors and sizes are available on deeper discount than others. But if you got what you want, then it doesn't matter.

Good shoes should not be worn "daily." You should have 2-3 good pairs you can rotate. Shoe care - always use shoe tree after, let shoes rest for a day, use a shoe horn wen putting them on.

In terms of polishing - do a search for "how to" threads. Some people like to polish with wax or apply cream before first wear, some don't think it's necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads