• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron

aidanforsyth0

Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd share this here.

Uncut, one piece shell cordovan is pretty rare. Luckily I was able to get my hands on a piece of uncut Shinki Hikaku Natural Shell Cordovan. This will be turned into a few belts.

I had no idea it was that large. When I think of the rump on a horse, I didn't know it would be that big. I have never seen that before. How did you get it?

SkyDemon

Reaction score
Hi, just want to share my 2nd shell cordovan wallet from J Michael Ashland OR. This time I ordered green shell cordovan with black chromexcel horsehide for interior. I took the pictures with my phone, so the green colour is a little hard to see as it's really dark green, and the shell is from Clayton.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Figured I'd share this here. Uncut, one piece shell cordovan is pretty rare. Luckily I was able to get my hands on a piece of uncut Shinki Hikaku Natural Shell Cordovan. This will be turned into a few belts.
If you look at the picture more attentively, you can clearly see the two "pieces " shell , they just didn't cut it out. It is not a real one piece shell IMHO

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Figured I'd share this here. Uncut, one piece shell cordovan is pretty rare. Luckily I was able to get my hands on a piece of uncut Shinki Hikaku Natural Shell Cordovan. This will be turned into a few belts.
I think this one is just similar to this one, may be even larger:
I took this picture at a Japanese shoe shop in Tokyo, the staff told me that it was not a "one piece shell" since the shell area is not "connected." Actually, I think all Horween shell look like that before they are cut. You can see it in every video that show the shell production posted by Horween.

Last edited:

Deusis

Reaction score
I think this one is just similar to this one, may be even larger:

I took this picture at a Japanese shoe shop in Tokyo, the staff told me that it was not a "one piece shell" since the shell area is not "connected." Actually, I think all Horween shell look like that before they are cut. You can see it in every video that show the shell production posted by Horween.

That is correct. It technically isn't one "shell" but it is still uncut shell cordovan. So it is two separate pieces with middle portion which feels very close to the regular shell - though a bit more rough.

I don't know that any of the "one piece" shell cordovan items (like belts) that are sold are actually from only one single shell and not two connected like this. I could be entirely incorrect though.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is correct. It technically isn't one "shell" but it is still uncut shell cordovan. So it is two separate pieces with middle portion which feels very close to the regular shell - though a bit more rough.

I don't know that any of the "one piece" shell cordovan items (like belts) that are sold are actually from only one single shell and not two connected like this. I could be entirely incorrect though.

I forgot Skip or John told me that about one out of 100 sheets of cordovan will have a very small part (about few inches) connected together.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The #4 looks great! Awesome to get the stamp front and center too. Looks awesome. What is the interior? 

thanks.

it was described as "thin horsehide made for us special from Horween. The tannage is very strong, thin, and has great aging characteristics and is inspired by English bridle leather used in equestrian saddles and western-wear"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads