1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Apr 5, 2012.

1. kczsilence

kczsilence Senior member

Damn it sold, sigh.
    Congrats whoever got it.

Curious, Deusis, you wouldn't have enough shell to make another would you?

2. unsuitable

unsuitable Well-Known Member

I'm sure whoever got it would not mind if it was not the "only one" ever.
    (looks around nervously)

3. kczsilence

kczsilence Senior member

I sincerely hope not. Perhaps have the rainbow go the other direction?

1 person likes this.
  4. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

Yes - I have plenty shell of all colors. Send me an email and we can figure something out. guardedgoods (at) gmail.com.

5. kczsilence

kczsilence Senior member

Emailed! Excited ha

6. SkyDemon

SkyDemon Member

Hi Everyone, once again I got my 3rd Shell Cordovan men's bifold wallet from J Michael Ashland OR. This time the wallet is made with Italian Shell Cordovan by "Toscana Italia" tannery in Navy colour and inside is black Horween chromexcel horsehide. Compared from the pervious shell bifold wallet from J Michael, this one has some improvements, the wallet is now slightly taller and wider which makes putting in cards/cash much easier even it still new not yet broken-in. Also this time the center piece leather is not stitching down with the interior card pockets and the exterior shell, so that it relaxes the hidden pocket that makes the hidden pockets much easier to access and J Michael still cuts extra tab at the bottom of the center piece which will hides cash in cash compartment so it makes the wallet look more clean and classy when open

The Packaging:
    [​IMG]

Front Closed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Open:
    [​IMG]

The interior should be black:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    3 people like this.
  7. ShootThePier

ShootThePier Senior member

8. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

Made a trip down to Chicago with my wife last weekend before our baby arrives. Naturally - we had to stop and visit Horween. Check out the album for some cool pictures of the tour. Some highlights:

Calf from the 1940s which the recipe is lost. May be the only "remaining" Horween calf around:

[​IMG]

Single piece shell cordovan (most likely mule and not horse):

[​IMG]

Shells receiving a little dye:

[​IMG]

Stacks and stacks and stacks of shell:

[​IMG]

Overall - it was great to finally get down there and visit. John gave us a tour and I met and talked to Nick for awhile and met Skip as well. Great facility! A lot smaller than I anticipated.

2 people like this.
  9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

VERY COOL! could you buy direct there?

10. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

Kind of. They don't have an official "store" set up but there are racks of leather available for sale. I picked a few out and had them shipped to my house.

11. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

A few Horween rarities...

Color #8 Pebble Grain Shell Cordovan, Armagnac Shell Cordovan, and Garnet Shell Cordovan.

[​IMG]

Pebble Grain Color #8 Detail. This isn't "true" pebble grain but is embossed. A combination of my two favorite things... shell and texture!

[​IMG]

Garnet (left) vs. Color #4 (right)

[​IMG]

Unglazed Natural (top) vs. Armagnac (bottom)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. nqtri

nqtri Senior member

Finally got my MTO dark green shell Bugs Morgan from Ashland. Incredible color but too bad there's no sunshine these days. Phil is an incredible guy to work with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. classicsaphic

classicsaphic Active Member

That honestly looks so awesome! I love the big ol' stamp right smack in the middle too! Congrats!

1 person likes this.
  14. classicsaphic

classicsaphic Active Member

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post a quick update on my Ashland Leather Bugs Moran in Color #8. I've been using this wallet for the last couple weeks and I have to say I'm absolutely in love with it. It easily holds the 9 cards I can't possibly go without and can hold a couple of bills as well and still maintains it's slim profile. It has taken a bit of a beating over the last couple weeks but has handled it like a total champ. The stitching is still clean and perfect and there have been absolutely zero issues with the build. Even though these were out of stock at the time on the Ashland Leather website, a quick email to Phil and my order was placed. A couple weeks later I was notified that it was ready, I paid, and a this little wallet was at my door by the end of the week. Incredible customer service and I credible build quality means it definitely gets a shining recommendation from me. So if anyone is considering this wallet I say go for it. It is well worth your investment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  15. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

I decided to try something a little different for this wallet. Every so often I abandon my responsibility for completing orders I should be doing and need to go "creative rogue". I started out with an idea in my head and go right to Illustrator. Some people like to sketch out their idea first but I find I'm significantly faster at just mocking up a design in Illustrator. I can make tweaks and changes and save all variants off to the side so I can swap different options in it out. This is what I ended up with for the final design. Pretty basic as it is only four "complex" pieces and then I didn't draft up the exterior.

I print out the paper with all four pieces, put it down on my desk, cover it with clear tape and then cut it out. I'd rather the template pieces have a little bit of structure from the tape than just being a piece of paper I'll inevitably crumple up on accident while tracing around it.

I opted out of doing t-slots which is really weird for me. I feel like I'm supposed to always be doing t-slots. The Tochigi Glazed Veg Tan is around 1.75 - 2 oz so it is really thin and ends up working well without doing t-slots.

I feel like most of my bifold designs are pretty vanilla and generic so I wanted to mix it up with something I haven't really seen before.

I still have a ton of random amounts of shell cordovan sitting around so I got wild and decided to use a piece of Shinki Hikaku Burgundy Shell cordovan for the exterior. This ended up pairing very nicely with the Tochigi Glazed Veg Tan.

I'm happy with how it turned out but would be curious to see how the non t-slots would fare with a slightly thicker leather (like a chromexcel horsehide). On the next go around, I'd probably figure out a way to space out the slots a touch more so they aren't so weighted towards the bottom of the bifold.
    All in all - fun project and a good way to get the creative juices flowing again!

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the style!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    3 people like this.
  16. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    That looks great! I'm all for seeing new designs.

1 person likes this.
  17. nqtri

nqtri Senior member

Awesomely looking. But is there hidden slot?

18. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

There are two hidden slots! The shape exactly matches the area behind the two slots on each side.

19. rirakuma

rirakuma Senior member

Another Japanese style wallet I made for a friend, this one is replacing his old Kangaroo riders style wallet I gave to him years ago. Made from whiskey Rocado shell.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

Looks great! Have any shots of the interior?